RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #1

I'll learn not to initiate a conversation

I'm an early riser and my DW isn't, so I usually set outside with my coffee and watch the world wake up. This morning a younger age man walked by my campsite with his shower gear and towel, he was headed to the public facility just a couple spots down. I said "good morning, you getting an early start". He proceeded to go off on a tangent about real camping and sleeping in tents instead of gas guzzling houses on wheels. When he was done I told him I had spent 19 months sleeping on the ground in 1968-69 and that was enough for my lifetime. He apparently didn't understand my reference and looked puzzled as he walked away. I now remember why I usually don't talk to people these days, seems everyone is angry about something.
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2020, 05:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
I now remember why I usually don't talk to people these days, seems everyone is angry about something.
Naw, most of us would say good morning and admire your rig and talk about the weather. Don't turn into one of those grumpy old farts.

And, BTW, thanks for that stuff you did.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:33 PM   #3

Thanks for your service, I was there in 1966 USAF, he was just having a bad morning his parents pissed away a fortune on a college education and he can only afford a tent.
01blueox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
At least it was a short conversation. I don't mind talking with people at all but it seems that 2 hours later we are still talking. Then lately I find that when I say good morning they don't respond at all. Just another example of some of the current group of new campers. It also could be when they see this ugly mug first thing in the morning they just want to get away.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:04 PM   #5

All the while he is headed for the shower instead of being out somewhere and starting to stank
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:22 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
There seems to be more and more people out there who cannot fathom that life consists of much more than their own experiences.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:33 PM   #7

Plenty of others out their that like to carry on an intelligent conversation.
Thanks for the post.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #8

Been there done that.
Don't understand it either. I figure it's their problem, no mine. Lol.
Wish me GM and I'll return it and admire your rv or comment on the morning.

In the meantime, I thank you for your time.
Xmcdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:02 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I just can't understand some people.

I live fairly close to a smaller town, and when I walk along the sidewalk, I usually say hi to people I meet. Pretty well all say hi back with a smile. It helps to also make a positive comment with a happy attitude.

My life is good, and I try not to let negative vibes get to me.

Let it go, and move on is my motto.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:55 AM   #10

I remember as a young gal everyone used to spare a couple of minutes to pass the time of day here or there, even when enroute to somewhere. The butcher knew you by name (always addressed as Mr or Mrs), as did the baker and the dry store we would frequent, sadly with big box stores coming in the dynamics of where i was born and raised (Cornwall UK) changed exponentially and today almost everywhere you go people are looking down and avoiding any form of eye contact with or without smart phone in hand! Sign of the times.

Yet, still when we are remote camping/hiking/fishing in NA, most folks we pass/meet say "hi" or "any luck today", just something small even if they keep walking slowly onwards - that's been our experience but we don't frequent private CG's for the most part.

For sure times have and are a changing, but OP don't let just one or two oddballs stop you being you.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
I'm an early riser and my DW isn't, so I usually set outside with my coffee and watch the world wake up. This morning a younger age man walked by my campsite with his shower gear and towel, he was headed to the public facility just a couple spots down. I said "good morning, you getting an early start". He proceeded to go off on a tangent about real camping and sleeping in tents instead of gas guzzling houses on wheels. When he was done I told him I had spent 19 months sleeping on the ground in 1968-69 and that was enough for my lifetime. He apparently didn't understand my reference and looked puzzled as he walked away. I now remember why I usually don't talk to people these days, seems everyone is angry about something.
Tom
Some people really dislike RV's and vehicles with a lot of emissions. What can you do? There were much more fuel efficient RV's available a decade ago.
wannaclassc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:33 AM   #12

Lots of the old folks just dont hear to well.try on there way back and they might respond differently. I find lip reading with these masks a real challenge. Either way dont let it ruin your day.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:46 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
todays world is different... i would think and try to rationalize or try to put myself into some one else position to try to understand.. i have no clue....and just take a breathe,, move on..

so yep,, enjoy the coffee and day
sibe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:20 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While I will admit today’s world is different, I’d counter that with the fact that “grumpy” people aren’t a modern invention, been around since the dawn of time and will be until the end of time.

I’m with the others, don’t let one bad apple turn you off, one of the best part of camping is usually the conversations with your new neighbors.