Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2020, 05:28 PM   #1

Illinois non-CDL class B drivers license info

I just got my IL non-CDL class B and thought I’d post about it because in my research a lot of the information was incomplete or inaccurate.

Yes, Illinois is one of the very few states where you need a class B license to drive a motorhome over 26,000 lb GVWR (and a class C license for motorhomes over 16,000 lb). The regulations are very clear but some people are confused by the supposed exemption of motorhomes. People are also confused by the motorhome salespeople who give inaccurate information (even the salespeople at IL dealerships)! In reality the exemption is for the requirement to get a CDL. You still need the class of license appropriate to the motorhome based on GVWR, just it needs to be on your regular non-CDL drivers license (probably a class D for most people). If your motorhome has air brakes (as mine does) it does NOT require any special ratings. That is only the case for CDL. I confirmed all of this with the Secretary of State office directly.

Getting the rating requires a written (computer-based) test and also a road test. The study guide for the written test is here: https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_x142.pdf

When you go to the DMV you line up like normal. No appointment is required since this is not a CDL. Depending on where you go, good luck finding parking for your 40-foot diesel pusher. I went to the Watseka office and parked 2 blocks away.

The written test had 25 questions and you had to get 20 correct to pass. The questions can be on any topic from the study guide. They are very detailed and stray far, far from what most of us do. Memorize all weight cutoffs, maximum lengths, weights per axle oversized vehicles, chemical transportation, etc.

Once you pass the written test they give you a learner permit that’s valid for a year. In my case it was valid for 45 seconds since I asked to take the road test immediately. They asked me the gross weight of the vehicle and that was that...my paperwork joined the pile of teenagers’ paperwork’s that was in queue for a road test. I told them that my vehicle was parked two blocks away and they said to pull it up on the Main Street in front of the DMV and wait inside.

I’m pretty sure the size of the coach in front of the DMV (probably illegally parked...but they told me to pull up there) caused them to advance my paperwork in the queue, since within 15 minutes an examiner came out. She checked that my turn signals worked then climbed aboard and sat on some plastic covering she pulled over the seat (COVID protocol I guess).

Prior to the test I had researched the requirements for passing which appeared to be spelled out here: https://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/092/092010300000850R.html

The reality was that the test consisted of driving around a residential neighborhood, never getting more than about 3 blocks from the DMV office, and where the speed limit was 25mph. At one point we pulled into an empty school parking lot and the examiner said “ok, now back up”. I asked for how far or to where or whatever and she said “whatever you want to do”. So I put it in reverse, backed up a couple of feet and she said “we’re good”. We pulled back up to the DMV and parked in the alleyway behind it and she said I passed. Apparently they deduct points for anything you do wrong and I got zero points deducted!

I walked out with a temporary paper license and an updated permanent one with Class B arrived in the mail just over a week later.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone searching for info like I was a few months ago.

As an aside, I highly recommend the Watseka office. I went there because it gets almost 5 stars on google vs almost other IL Secretary of State offices which seem to get 1-2 stars. I couldn’t believe it would be such a good experience in the COVID environment etc but it really was! They were awesome!

Matt
MattyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #2

Thanks for the info on the Class B - Non CDL in Illinois. I'd like to add a few comments since I just passed the written test. First, you were fortunate that you live where you do in Illinois since they told me I can't drive any RV without the supervision of a same class of license or a CDL driver. Technically you shouldn't have been able to drive up to the facility by yourself. You were in the Illinois Catch 22 of getting your license. I can't go to my drivers test without someone that already has a B license or CDL (or that's what I've been told). My RV sales rep has a class B license so he said he would help me when I go for the drivers test. Illinois is so backwards you have to wait in line for hours instead of making appointments like most states. I appreciate the comment about not scheduling an appointment. That is vague in all the online literature and no one in the Chicago area answers the phone, so that was helpful. I'm not even sure where I can park the vehicle since most DMV's are located in areas where small cars are challenged. To vent since I wasted 4 hours of my life in line taking the test, the elderly had to wait over 3 hours to take their driving test in 90 degree heat. Also, many people were there to just renew their license and had to pass the vision test. After waiting in line over 3 hours, they were told the vision test has been waived indefinitely due to Covid.

Do you know if there is a waiting period between the time you received the permit and when you could take the drivers test? Once again, the information is vague. Obviously in your case there was no waiting period but I thought there was for most permits. Also, did they test your knowledge of air brakes? I reviewed the link you provided and it appears that you have to do a pre-trip inspection including testing for air brake pressure safety similar to a CDL. Any help you could provide would be appreciated since I have been unable to gather much info.

I just spoke to one of my Illinois clients yesterday that rented a 30' RV for vacation. They were given a 5 minute lesson on the vehicle and were sent away. I asked if he was questioned about having the correct license and he paused and replied he didn't know he needed one. It's really difficult in Illinois as you mentioned.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:29 AM   #3

Yes the “catch 22” of not being able to drive your coach to the test is imposing, but I had read that they take a “don’t ask don’t tell” approach so I took my chances. I read another thread where someone was told BY THE DMV EMPLOYEE to say that he got driven there by someone who “left to run an errand”…can you believe that???

As for parking, I live in the City of Chicago and there was no way I was going to head to any DMV in or near the city. Watseka is not too far away and it really was a great experience.

No waiting period between the permit and road test. I asked for the road the moment I passed the written test. No regulation in place to dictate otherwise.

No pre-trip inspection, and no air-brake specifics.

Go to Watseka, it’s a slam-dunk!
MattyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:34 AM   #4

I just moved out of that terrible state of Illinois and yes they are confused. If one rents a motorhome they do not need the class B license but if they own it they must have the B license. I guess if you are not going to drive it long enough to become comfortable with how it drives that is not a problem.
Tilton Illinois did not ask how the MH got there and I went back on a day when I had more time for the driving test. It took in backing up in their parking lot then driving through a business and residential district in Danville. Then took the interstate about 2 miles back. No problems and not a bad drive. I now live in Indiana where one license takes in all classes of vehicle except an endorsement for motorcycles. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyA View Post
Yes the “catch 22” of not being able to drive your coach to the test is imposing, but I had read that they take a “don’t ask don’t tell” approach so I took my chances. I read another thread where someone was told BY THE DMV EMPLOYEE to say that he got driven there by someone who “left to run an errand”…can you believe that???

Go to Watseka, it’s a slam-dunk!

Thanks for the info! I don't care how good a friend I have, there is no way someone would wait 3-4 hours in line with me for a drivers test. I can't believe they have you back up. In the study manual one of the precautions is to have a spotter. I was thinking I'd ask the examiner to spot for me.

I have a DMV 5 minutes from my house so I'll probably just try them. If that doesn't work, it's off to Watseka. I can't believe we live in a state where it might be faster to drive 135 miles to a DMV versus 3 miles. I had to google Watseka. Didn't even know there was a town in Illinois by that name.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maryland is another of the Class B non CDL states. With COVID, everything is by appointment. I called 2 weeks age to take the written. My appointment isn’t until a October 16! Then, in MD you need to hold the permit for a minimum of 14 days before you can make an appointment to take the road test. I think I’ll be lucky to get the road test in by Christmas at this rate! At least I’m able to hold off on registering (and paying sales tax) on the coach for a couple months!
dgapilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class b, driver