Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2022, 09:25 AM   #1

Illinois non-CDL class C drivers license info

I just completed my drive test and now have my Illinois class C non-CDL license good for up to 26000 pounds GVWR. My current rig is 18K, just a bit over the 16K limit of the regular auto license. Here is my own experience in case its helpful to anyone out there! (btw - I was going to post this on an existing thread but it wouldn't let me due to age of thread)

Short version - I did my written test that required 12/15 correct multiple choice questions. That resulted in a driving permit good for 12 months. Did my drive test (backup straight ~100', short road test) and passed. Now have my Class C temporary license. Yay!

Long version - Yes, the Illinois information can be confusing, especially for anyone trying to not to have to get a special license. I was in denial for 2 years. Once you bite the bullet its actually pretty clear what class of license you need. Next is determining what is needed for this. I called the Chicago regional SecSt office and was told that I'd need both a written and drive test. Ok, no problem.

Now the somewhat frustrating part (but I got through it). The SecSt web site tries really hard to get you to use on-line scheduling, but they only release new appointments daily at 7am or so. Some sites say "senior walk-ins" are OK but I wanted to do this via appointment. After 2 days of trying I decided to just get a written test appointment. Got that for the same day in Schaumburg. Easily passed after studying the attached booklet (Illinois Rules of the Road for non-CDL vehicles). I was glad that I didn't wait to schedule a drive test at this location because I was told they don't take Motorhomes due to size. I was directed to go to the Truck SecSt office in Elk Grove. Got on their web-site which clearly lists "non-CDL road test" under Services Unavailable. In spite of that I tried to schedule an appointment on-line but when I entered my drivers license # it said I hadn't passed the required CDL tests yet. Hmmm.....

So I called the Chicago regional office again and they confirmed that Schaumburg (and some others) can't do Motorhome drive tests and Elk Grove is the place to go. They gave me a regional CDL office number to call (630-293-1191). When I called they said they didn't do the scheduling and gave me a Springfield number to call (217)785-3013. Finally... quick and easy... I got a next day drive test appointment at Elk Grove. The folks at that office were 100% friendly and helpful. My drive tester coached me all the way on what he was looking for (mainly don't hit the lines backing up and don't clip any curbs which would be automatic fail)

Bottom line is 1) getting a proper class of license needs to be done for anyone in Illinois driving an RV over 16k GVWR. and 2) its an easy process if you can find the right location(s) to use. (the exception is rentals for which the burden is on the rental agency to assure correct driving instruction is given)

Hope this is helpful and be safe out there!
Bob
Visionquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2022, 07:55 PM   #2

For illinois, you will also need a DOT physical to be truly legal. They are typically good for 2 years unless the occupational health Doc deems otherwise. Trust me, I did my due diligence and my dad retired from Secretary of state office. This information was in the study guide. Sorry if you mentioned that above. Happy Holidays..

Now that I think of it, my situation was for a class A non CDL.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:20 PM   #3

Iride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionquest2 View Post
I just completed my drive test and now have my Illinois class C non-CDL license good for up to 26000 pounds GVWR. My current rig is 18K, just a bit over the 16K limit of the regular auto license. Here is my own experience in case its helpful to anyone out there! (btw - I was going to post this on an existing thread but it wouldn't let me due to age of thread)

Short version - I did my written test that required 12/15 correct multiple choice questions. That resulted in a driving permit good for 12 months. Did my drive test (backup straight ~100', short road test) and passed. Now have my Class C temporary license. Yay!

Long version - Yes, the Illinois information can be confusing, especially for anyone trying to not to have to get a special license. I was in denial for 2 years. Once you bite the bullet its actually pretty clear what class of license you need. Next is determining what is needed for this. I called the Chicago regional SecSt office and was told that I'd need both a written and drive test. Ok, no problem.

Now the somewhat frustrating part (but I got through it). The SecSt web site tries really hard to get you to use on-line scheduling, but they only release new appointments daily at 7am or so. Some sites say "senior walk-ins" are OK but I wanted to do this via appointment. After 2 days of trying I decided to just get a written test appointment. Got that for the same day in Schaumburg. Easily passed after studying the attached booklet (Illinois Rules of the Road for non-CDL vehicles). I was glad that I didn't wait to schedule a drive test at this location because I was told they don't take Motorhomes due to size. I was directed to go to the Truck SecSt office in Elk Grove. Got on their web-site which clearly lists "non-CDL road test" under Services Unavailable. In spite of that I tried to schedule an appointment on-line but when I entered my drivers license # it said I hadn't passed the required CDL tests yet. Hmmm.....

So I called the Chicago regional office again and they confirmed that Schaumburg (and some others) can't do Motorhome drive tests and Elk Grove is the place to go. They gave me a regional CDL office number to call (630-293-1191). When I called they said they didn't do the scheduling and gave me a Springfield number to call (217)785-3013. Finally... quick and easy... I got a next day drive test appointment at Elk Grove. The folks at that office were 100% friendly and helpful. My drive tester coached me all the way on what he was looking for (mainly don't hit the lines backing up and don't clip any curbs which would be automatic fail)

Bottom line is 1) getting a proper class of license needs to be done for anyone in Illinois driving an RV over 16k GVWR. and 2) its an easy process if you can find the right location(s) to use. (the exception is rentals for which the burden is on the rental agency to assure correct driving instruction is given)

Hope this is helpful and be safe out there!
Bob
Illionis you don't need any different type of drivers license to drive a motorhome illionis is crooked in there rules as long as you don't go over 26000 pds you can drive your RV mh an pull up to 10000 pound trailer but I'd say under 10,000 I'm from Alabama my class D license takes me to 26,000 pds and I live in illionis and Alabama half each yes I drive back and forth Alot but since I fish in lotta different states im out of illionis more than I'm in it but I do get all my mail in illionis go look on Google under can I drive in the state your in my motor home with my pickup truck license you will see a list of ones you can An some tiy can't but if your state is one you can drive with if you got stopped in a state that you can't it only goes by your state on your license I know this is true I've been in tree service call my life and I have worked tornadoes and hurricanes in lotta states pulling my equipment in other states yes I'm legal retired now I was commercial not any more it's a federal law every state is up to 26000 pds the ones that say you can't have been reported to Washington DC yes I did it myself it is legal to drive your motorhome up to 26000 pds I'd not go over it just to be safe but a dry motor home don't weigh 3m24000 pds more like what 14500 a class a gas bus yes over and up to 30,000 but the hitch might say you can pull 8000 but you should not go over 5000 more not over 6000 yes you could pull 25000 trailer but it can tear up your ride don't do it vi have pulled a 15000 trailer with a GMC 1500 pickup 5 miles but it doesn't like it at all you can watch the fuel gauge go down and I had to move it for safety reasons any way hope this helps you I'm in illionis as my girlfriend is as well she can drive on her class D license as well we most likely buying a newmar baystar 34 ft I'm not buying anything from Thor was buying a 37ft Miramar but Thor is laying off thousands of people I'm not buying from crooks to start with as long as Winnie bago doesn't sell out to Thor I'm good I'm not giving Thor anything ever thanks
Iride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iride View Post
Illionis you don't need any different type of drivers license to drive a motorhome illionis is crooked in there rules as long as you don't go over 26000 pds you can drive your RV mh an pull up to 10000 pound trailer but I'd say under 10,000 I'm from Alabama my class D license takes me to 26,000 pds and I live in illionis and Alabama half each yes I drive back and forth Alot but since I fish in lotta different states im out of illionis more than I'm in it but I do get all my mail in illionis go look on Google under can I drive in the state your in my motor home with my pickup truck license you will see a list of ones you can An some tiy can't but if your state is one you can drive with if you got stopped in a state that you can't it only goes by your state on your license I know this is true I've been in tree service call my life and I have worked tornadoes and hurricanes in lotta states pulling my equipment in other states yes I'm legal retired now I was commercial not any more it's a federal law every state is up to 26000 pds the ones that say you can't have been reported to Washington DC yes I did it myself it is legal to drive your motorhome up to 26000 pds I'd not go over it just to be safe but a dry motor home don't weigh 3m24000 pds more like what 14500 a class a gas bus yes over and up to 30,000 but the hitch might say you can pull 8000 but you should not go over 5000 more not over 6000 yes you could pull 25000 trailer but it can tear up your ride don't do it vi have pulled a 15000 trailer with a GMC 1500 pickup 5 miles but it doesn't like it at all you can watch the fuel gauge go down and I had to move it for safety reasons any way hope this helps you I'm in illionis as my girlfriend is as well she can drive on her class D license as well we most likely buying a newmar baystar 34 ft I'm not buying anything from Thor was buying a 37ft Miramar but Thor is laying off thousands of people I'm not buying from crooks to start with as long as Winnie bago doesn't sell out to Thor I'm good I'm not giving Thor anything ever thanks

Iride - you state that "Illionis you don't need any different type of drivers license " - I believe that this statement is false unless you are only referring to driving in Illinois with a license from Alabama (or another state not requiring a special license for your weight class). All states honor drivers licenses from other states while visiting them. Please clarify.

Iride - you state that "federal law every state is up to 26000 pds the ones that say you can't have been reported to Washington DC". - Please provide the document name or link to this law if it exists. I found something called the 'Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations' but those do not apply to personal transportation vehicles.

Regards - Bob
Old 12-11-2022, 06:49 PM   #5

Iride

Go look up on Google states you don't have to have a different driver's license for it has illionis in it as well as Alabama where I'm from an up first states that you do need different license in Illinois is the most crookest state in USA full of criminal governor's in prison these days so I've heard and read on Google
Old 12-11-2022, 06:52 PM   #6

You do need a license just not a CDL or anything else but a class D license u can drive up to 26000 with my class D Alabama drivers license didn't mean you can drive with out a license just don't need anything special than your pickup truck license
Old 12-11-2022, 06:58 PM   #7

Call the dot office they are the ones you need to talk to about RV license it's a federal law every state can drive up to 26000 but not over 26001 it's the law yes my Alabama license might be li better but illionis states you don't need to different license vto drive an RV just your license yes I was commercial driver owner of abcstumpgrinding and tree service as well as D&D tree service in Alabama and Oregon I worked every tornadoes and hurricanes that has hit in Alabama and illionis and Astoria Oregon I always been a storm chaser
Old 12-11-2022, 07:08 PM   #8

Iride

When I moved up here from Tennessee and Alabama I went to court house to get a driver's license in Illinois they told me I had to get a class c license I told them we were still moving up and going back and forth to Tenn every few weeks told me to wait I retired first year here went in to get my new class D license in Illinois and they said I had to get a class c airbrake indorsment and license I grabbed my Alabama license showed them my license allows me to drive up to 26000 with out and endorsement for air brakes and I'll drive back and forth 5 or 6 months of the year they told me all I had to do was leave the state one day a month and keep my license so I do I fish almost every day so I leave the state Alot lol I had 3 new 650 super trucks rated for 26000bpds I can drive in any state with my driver's license then I found out this my next 750 super truck weights 39000 pds if your not in business you can drive anything you like to drive in any state you like so I did an I still do love ma truck
Old 12-12-2022, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
You do need a license just not a CDL or anything else but a class D license u can drive up to 26000 with my class D Alabama drivers license didn't mean you can drive with out a license just don't need anything special than your pickup truck license

I don't know (or care) what an Alabama Class D license allows. That is not the subject matter of this thread. A Class D license in Illinois is only good for driving vehicles up to 16,000 pounds GVWR. If you have actual information that says something different please share it.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Call the dot office they are the ones you need to talk to about RV license it's a federal law every state can drive up to 26000 but not over 26001 it's the law yes my Alabama license might be li better but illionis states you don't need to different license vto drive an RV just your license yes I was commercial driver owner of abcstumpgrinding and tree service as well as D&D tree service in Alabama and Oregon I worked every tornadoes and hurricanes that has hit in Alabama and illionis and Astoria Oregon I always been a storm chaser

The federal DOT sets requirements for commercial vehicles on federal highways and for inter-state commerce. This is not what we are talking about here. Each state determines what vehicles are allowed on state roadways and what licensing is required to operate those vehicles. The Illinois non-CDL Rules of the Road clearly state that a Class C license is required for vehicle weights between 16,001 and 26,000 pounds.
Old 12-13-2022, 12:04 AM   #11

Iride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionquest2 View Post
The federal DOT sets requirements for commercial vehicles on federal highways and for inter-state commerce. This is not what we are talking about here. Each state determines what vehicles are allowed on state roadways and what licensing is required to operate those vehicles. The Illinois non-CDL Rules of the Road clearly state that a Class C license is required for vehicle weights between 16,001 and 26,000 pounds.
wrong it is a federal law go on Google look up ....do I need a special license in il to drive my motor home it says no if you are over 26000 yes you do but only in some states in IL.you don't you can also drive a tractor trailer truck as long as you are not in business commercial driver I drive one to Walmart when I go every week and I have been stopped my license is Alabama but it is a federal law for everyone in all states you don't have to get a class c in IL. To drive a motorhome you used to be able to go over that number but yes if you drive a heavier truck over 16000 in il. Stupid state yes you do need class c but in a motor home no you don't CK it out before you piss me off an I come prove it to you in person I'll bring my computer an show you on Google if you don't know how to look it up I also called the ildot in Springfield IL today told me same thing I'm also retired us marshal I know the law I can assure you of that I also was in tree service all my life copper stuff don't make that much money
Old 12-13-2022, 05:40 PM   #12

Quote:
I called Springfield IL court house on my way fishing today and you don't need a CDL nor a class c license to Drive a motor home up to 26000tpds it's a federal law every one is same if you not using it for business and it is only personal use you can drive with only a class D license unless it is airbrake then and only then you have to get the class a then get an airbrake indorsment in Alabama I don't need anything else but class D license indorsment needed ..CK it out on Google it's a federal law no you don't need a different license to drive an rv
Old 12-13-2022, 10:57 PM   #13

PLEASE, let's not post misinformation.

It's NOT a federal law!! As Visonquest2 has said, each state determines the requirements for their own residents as it pertains to driver licensing. Individual states will determine what type of license their residents must possess to operate each class of NON-commercial vehicle.

As he has stated, this thread is not about CDLs. This thread is about NON-commercial drivers licenses in Illinois. The federal government is really out of the picture as it pertains to the type of license one must have to operate a non-commercial vehicle.

The "feds" or the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) sets minimum standards for obtaining a CDL (Commercial Driver's License) that each state must follow. However, each state is responsible for CDL testing and administering that commercial license to their residents. But we're not discussing CDLs at all.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 06:12 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thread Reminder

The topic of the thread is Illinois license requirements. Arguments are not allowed in threads so refer to the Community Rules and post accordingly.
Quote:
Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go.
Thanks to all posting within the spirit of the rules.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, driver