Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #1

I'm A Mess & Thoroughly Confused!

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for a couple weeks now. I probably have information overload. We've been wanting an RV for 30 hears and knew someday the time would be right. Well, that time is now.

Been looking at new 40' plus MH. Namely, Grand Tours, Dutch Stars, Anthems and Tiffin Bus as well as their 40OH. I've driven them all.

Results: was disappointed with the ride/handling/sounds of the Winnie, the Tiffins are nice, love the insulation and quietness of the Newmar and the Entegras are equally as nice. There is a floor plan to each that we like. The captains chair on the Winnie was comfortable but the Newmar was not as conducive for comfort of use/driving. Bottonline - we loved and hated each one pretty equally.

Enter this forum: every MH has problems, so much so that it's queering me on purchasing one. I mean, who in their right mind plops down 300k+ for mediocrity. I know who, RVers!

At this point I'm stalled. I just fear that this is going to add to my stress level if things go wrong. I understand that things go wrong but I don't want to have to sit at the manufacturer for 3 weeks to get something fixed that should have never been an issue in the first place, etc and then have that nagging fear it will break again in the middle of the desert.

I am a strong alpha male and never let things go especially when I feel like I'm being screwed. Example: I spent thousands to collect hundreds from someone who was screwing me. The hundreds I collected meant more to them than the thousands I spent to collect it (garnishment). I'm afraid I'll go legal on this industry.

Do I forget my life long dream of RVing or take the plunge and roll with it and if so, with what unit or should I forget all about it.

signed,

Thoroughly Miffed
WeekendRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
You may end up in the hospital after buying a motor home.....

I'd suggest renting a rv and go camping, go visit some national parks.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #3

Normally, people set their sights on a want or need and then proceed to accomplish the task. Then, when life gets in the way, they work through it and move on to the next level.

You could justify forgetting all about it because camping space is getting crowded and you might not like the crowds.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendRVers View Post
I understand that things go wrong but I don't want to have to sit at the manufacturer for 3 weeks to get something fixed that should have never been an issue in the first place, etc and then have that nagging fear it will break again in the middle of the desert.
All I can say is that we full-timed for 8 years in our Newmar and never returned to the manufacturer or the selling dealer. When new we had a handful of small items. We called a dealer in the direction we were traveling for an appointment; arrived late afternoon and were welcomed to spend the night with electric on their premises. The next morning they were fixed and we were on our way. No more issues. We traveled constantly during that time, including Alaska, and the motorhome was awesome.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:42 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Buy used...the money you save will easily pay for your personal things you may want, or need to fix.Also, you have a lower expectation with used. Save a lot of headaches, and blood pressure pills. As well.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #6

follow your dreams,you won't regret it,i didn't.you may want to think about getting a pre-owned one that has had most of the bugs workrd out it. our first MH was a 2002 Pace Arrow we had for just over a year with no problems,then we up graded to a 2006 Pace Arrow we had for 4 years with no problems. RV's are houses that roll & bounce down the road so things sometimes will shake loose. don't be a wus,go for it!
Old 03-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #7

You have analysis paralysis.....We bought new and other than a few adjustments we have not had any issues where it needed to sit at the dealership for more than a couple hours. Both times I watched what they did so I would know how to do it myself if it ever happens again. You could also buy used and end up with bigger problems and no warranty to get the repairs done. So there are trade offs with each. If you believe everything you read here It would make anyone doubt whether or not they should buy a MH. There are many people who have no issues but that typically never gets documented on a forum like this. Don't get me wrong this s a great forum and you can learn a lot here. It is just that many more people complain about things than those who have had no issues, and have had a great experience buying either new or used. If you find that you let little things stress you then this may not be the hobby for you. Things will always need attention on a MH, some may not always be anyone's fault. Good Luck in your decision.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendRVers View Post
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for a couple weeks now. I probably have information overload. We've been wanting an RV for 30 hears and knew someday the time would be right. Well, that time is now.

Been looking at new 40' plus MH. Namely, Grand Tours, Dutch Stars, Anthems and Tiffin Bus as well as their 40OH. I've driven them all.

Results: was disappointed with the ride/handling/sounds of the Winnie, the Tiffins are nice, love the insulation and quietness of the Newmar and the Entegras are equally as nice. There is a floor plan to each that we like. The captains chair on the Winnie was comfortable but the Newmar was not as conducive for comfort of use/driving. Bottonline - we loved and hated each one pretty equally.

Enter this forum: every MH has problems, so much so that it's queering me on purchasing one. I mean, who in their right mind plops down 300k+ for mediocrity. I know who, RVers!

At this point I'm stalled. I just fear that this is going to add to my stress level if things go wrong. I understand that things go wrong but I don't want to have to sit at the manufacturer for 3 weeks to get something fixed that should have never been an issue in the first place, etc and then have that nagging fear it will break again in the middle of the desert.

I am a strong alpha male and never let things go especially when I feel like I'm being screwed. Example: I spent thousands to collect hundreds from someone who was screwing me. The hundreds I collected meant more to them than the thousands I spent to collect it (garnishment). I'm afraid I'll go legal on this industry.

Do I forget my life long dream of RVing or take the plunge and roll with it and if so, with what unit or should I forget all about it.

signed,

Thoroughly Miffed

These forums are great for educating yourself and tapping the knowledge and experience of other owners but there is one very big caveat. Most posters are either having a problem they need help with or they are helping someone with a problem. This will lead to the nagging belief that these things are all death traps and money pits.

You have done lots of homework & gotten out & kicked some tires. You have some idea of what you like & don't like. Let me toss out another approach. In the interest of full disclosure, this was my solution.

Look at some used coaches that are 2-4 years old. Concentrate on the top models from top builders. If you start out with high quality bones then you can do some custom updating that will speak to the things you don't like.

In '06 my wife and I pursued that course and purchased a 3 year old top line coach from a respected builder. After 4 years of full time living, we had a fairly major interior remodel done. That was 6 years ago and we are still in the same coach and very happy.

Things will break or go wrong. These are complex vehicles which weight 40-50k pounds & travel on less than stellar roadways. That being said, I would have no second thoughts about pulling in the slides, cranking up the Cummins and heading for Alaska in the morning.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies and following ones dreams is where we're headed. There are so many problems reported here but I was looking for the problem threads.

My real question is which MH to buy. It seems Newmar/Entegra has the least reported negative threads. We liked the Newmar except for the drivers seat and lack of telescoping steering wheel.

Then today I got an email that Winnebago is offering 3 year/100k mile warranty. More confusion. What's the story with Winnie's and the Grand Tour? Quality unit or steer clear as one dealer told me who sells them.

UGH!
WeekendRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:21 PM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
While you're having a "be-fuddled moment... take a break and go look at other mfg's.. just to clear out the fog.
such as Newell, Foretravel and such.. even look at used ones if the new prices are out of you comfort zone.... been there & dun that... so You are not the 1st to experience the "fog"

happy hunting
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Do yourself a favor and also look into American Coach.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #12

Buy Used

I will second the comment about "buy used". There are plenty of "gently used" MH out there that will at least save you money if not any hassle. Just look closely!
dosxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosxx View Post
I will second the comment about "buy used". There are plenty of "gently used" MH out there that will at least save you money if not any hassle. Just look closely!
A nice 2009 to 2013 Tiffin or DSDP maintained by a fussy mechanic and garaged is your best bet. You'll probably want a different rig after a few years, so go ahead and make the plunge. This is your learning bus.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:41 PM   #14

One thing to think about with all RVs.... people want more and more gadgets put into them - just like they have in their home - residential refrigerators, 1-1/2 to 2 full baths, more and more televisions and electronics, washer/dryer, dishwasher, full wall slides or 4 slides, etc. The more you put into these the more problems you can expect. Our Newmar was a simple RV compared to what's out there nowadays. Personally, for our way of enjoying the traveling - public parks, boondocking on public lands - we would definitely not want of the new RVs nowadays. Also, we couldn't afford one!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, thor