Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #1

I'm baaack!

Hi to all my friends here. I just checked and my last post here was in 2006. OK long story but the short version is I retired again and now have more time to post here. I was back to work for 5 years and was too busy to keep up with all I did before, so I knocked it way down and stayed with only the two oldest forums I had been active with while fulltiming. I haven't had much time to catch up in any way but will be looking for all the old friends I had from here.

The admins here are terrific! Had to get my password changed back and get some admin help but was back able to post in a few minutes.

Wow! I just checked and all my old posts from the beginning are still here! Man you guys are awesome. On other forums they delete everything from a couple of years old and older! Example of an oldie but goodie from 2003!:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/synthetic-lubricants-arent-12943.html"
RV Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2011, 12:11 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Well, it looks like you will have a LOT of reading to do.
And be sure to give your input on the pertinent threads that you can contribute too.

Just kidding. Welcome back.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:18 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome back, Just finished going through your web site, enjoyed the articles.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:41 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Derek, it's about time!

Welcome back!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:57 AM   #5

Welcome back...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:19 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oh, so what you're saying is you put your work ahead of your irv2 family and thought nothing of ignoring us.....

Welcome back!
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #7

Mr33,
Yep I guess i do have some reading to catch up on.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #8

Dennis!
Thanks glad you liked them. Sorry to say my website also was essentially abandoned when I went back to work as well, so it has not been updated since about 2003 as well. We fulltimed from 1997 when I retired from the AF after 27 years and went right into fulltiming instead of a second career. I was pretty much set and didn't need to work, as I started a satellite TV service over in Europe for American Service members in 1991 and in 1994 started the first private Internet service in Bitburg, Germany that went on to become second only to Telecom in customers quickly. I needed the decompression. So we did everything West of the Mississippi, and from Mexico up to and including Alaska. We did not get a cell phone, as they were really not doing data yet and there was no high speed wireless or wired back then, just dial up, so those newsletters from the road originated as a free subscriber email that I sent out to about 1500 people weekly at its peak. Which for back then was wildly successful. I started the website and put all the newsletters from the road on it because too many email addresses would change and cause hours of work back then when if one was bad the whole thing would not go through. Boy have times and technology changed. Nowadays we can surf from the rigs in most areas and there is no more trudging up to the office to pay for or borrow the one or two dial up landlines they let customers use, usually with a 5 minute time limit. But the technical articles written with the help of Ed Lee Sr from Marshall Gas controls who make most of our propane connections and parts are still accurate as the physics haven't changed.

Looks like you are a veteran too! Well met!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #9

Dirk!
Well look who turned up like the proverbial bad penny! Man it is great to see you! I hadn't spoken with you for a loooong time. I'll PM later. Let me know if there is anything I need to know that has changed. I am really thrilled to see that [posts don't get deleted here. I lost a lot of work on the other website that I didn't realize was going away until it was too late and then started saving my research articles. My bad because like the research on synthetic oils I linked to above, I used to always dual post here and there for a couple of years and then stopped either way as too time consuming. I know, I could have just posted on my website and had control but that is my major procrastination now. See I need to host it elsewhere if i want to make a real go of it because it is being redirected from my domain to a user webpage on the old Earthlink ISP from the dial up days. I have the expertise and will go with go daddy to host but that would involve weeks of rewriting research and website design and tweaking which I haven't made the time for. Maybe one day, over the rainbow . . .

Anyway old friend it is great to see you still here!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 AM   #10

Thanks John!

Black F350, well I did I did and I'm glad I did! I have come off the road since as a fulltimer and am looking for the right steal on a used small fiberglass egg type rig this time around for weekends only. Most likely a Scamp maybe even the 19 foot fiver they make that is ultra light. I don't need a 36 foot fiber with all the trimmings anymore even though I have 5 acres and storage is not an issue. This one will be garaged in its own little carport metal bldg with sides and a concrete or gravel floor. I already have a workshop with a slab to work on one under 11 feet tall, the size of my workshop roll up door openings. Anyway thanks for the welcome back. Now I am wishing I had put my 5000 plus posts here as they will stay for some time here.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roadie View Post
Dirk!
Well look who turned up like the proverbial bad penny! Man it is great to see you! I hadn't spoken with you for a loooong time. I'll PM later. Let me know if there is anything I need to know that has changed. I am really thrilled to see that [posts don't get deleted here. I lost a lot of work on the other website that I didn't realize was going away until it was too late and then started saving my research articles. My bad because like the research on synthetic oils I linked to above, I used to always dual post here and there for a couple of years and then stopped either way as too time consuming. I know, I could have just posted on my website and had control but that is my major procrastination now. See I need to host it elsewhere if i want to make a real go of it because it is being redirected from my domain to a user webpage on the old Earthlink ISP from the dial up days. I have the expertise and will go with go daddy to host but that would involve weeks of rewriting research and website design and tweaking which I haven't made the time for. Maybe one day, over the rainbow . . .

Anyway old friend it is great to see you still here!
You may want to look at 1and1.com for a host. We have had our tractor club (opatea.org) there for 5yrs. It is inexpensive and have had no trouble. We use the beginner level but our site is very simple.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #12

Cliff,
Thanks for the info. I will have to look a little closer at your antique tractor club too! Mine is newer, a Ford 601 workmaster 1958-60 vintage I think, I restored a few year ago and use to do my 5 acres with a 300 foot gravel drive. It was converted to propane and then back to gas using the propane tank as a gas tank. I redid the whole thing and here are the before and after pics of it. I am the Q-Tip in the seat!
Fairly new to old tractors - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

I will have a look at your hosting service but I already have my domain hosted at go-daddy as it has been for years, and then it forwards to my website with a URL gripper. When you go to my website link below it goes to the same page as this link:
RV Roadie: RV Fulltiming, What is it really like

So for me it is easier since i will have to redo the website regardless to put it where my domain is already hosted and I know all the controls. But I will take a look for comparison. I am really going to spend some time at your tractor site, thanks again!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #13

Hello Derek! Welcome back to irv2.com.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #14

Hi Ray!
It is good to see you my friend! Man I forgot how many great folks are here. And I saw TXiceman and Rusty on another thread too. Looks like I am the only no show for a few years.
I have a feeling I will see almost all the great folks I used to interact with still hangin tough here.