Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2021, 06:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
Also, remember that people on the internet like to exaggerate to make their story more interesting. Nothing drives interest more than outrage. One hour becomes two hours. and a half a day becomes a lifetime. It will take you a little but then you can have the RV you want.

If you want a smaller RV, by all means go with that!!
Well said. If anything is more difficult, it ultimately makes it more worth doing. If it was easy, everybody would do it. Take the time and make the effort to get the license. You’ll be proud of it.

I have a commercial operator’s license that I’ve had since I was 16 years old. I planned to downgrade but glad I didn’t. My DW has a regular operator’s. It would be nice if she could occasionally drive when we travel, but she doesn’t and it works out fine. Shorter days on the road are better for us anyhow.

To your plan to make it work for you, it’s like the preacher said, “We always hear an Amen from the front of the church. How about an Amen from the back of the church.”
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2021, 07:21 AM   #16

We have been full time for several years and love it. You either do or you don't and many people do decide that it is not for them. It really sounds to me like you are not going to like it full time and that's OK. Enjoy traveling part time in the Airstream and work from the road as you do. We did that for 6+ years before selling the house and moving into the MH.
Even now, we don't travel 100% of the time. We own RV lots in VA and FL that we use as bases to travel from. We come and go as we please, but always have somewhere that we can stay without having to find and reserve it.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:54 PM   #17

If you really want to full-time you'll find a way. We made our decision in May and took off for good in August in a 27' travel trailer & two others years later ... sold everything and no regrets with 16 yr. of full-timing. Awesome experiences!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwoods22 View Post
"If we want a Motorhome, it has to be below 26,000lb GVWR... if its more than that I believe we need a "Non-Commercial Class B", which I believe is easier to do and just a paper test."

No need for Class B, you are fine with a Class C for a motorhome up to 40' (3rd bullet below). The first 2 bullets generally refer to trucks.

From the DMV:

Class C Driver’s Licenses

With a Class C driver’s license, you may drive a:

• Two-axle vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of

26,000 lbs. or less.

• Three-axle vehicle weighing 6000 lbs. or less (gross).

• House car (vehicle designed for human habitation) that is 40 feet or

less.

• Three-wheel motorcycle with two wheels located in the front or

back.

• Vanpool vehicle designed to carry between 10 and no more than 15

people (including the driver).

I did a fair amount of research on this, including calling the DMV and CHP. Eventually once I got high enough up the chain the answer was the same: housecar (motorhome) under 40’ is ok with Class C. I suggest folks take a hour our two and do the same to get the assurance they need. RV driver training places were helpful as well.
hippopapamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:33 AM   #19

When we retired and went full time we set up residence in Texas. Our MO. License did not require anything special to drive the 40k class A we bought. Then TX changed their laws and required a class B non commercial license. Scared me but in the end the test was easy to pass. My point is buy the rig you want that will work for you. Anyone can pass the tests. I came out of the trucking side of our business and knew if the drivers I saw could pass anyone can do it. Don’t let the test scare you. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 11-17-2021, 10:56 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
If yu don’t think you can pass the license test, you shouldn’t be driving that big of a rig. The test makes sure the drivers around you are safe, and if you can’t pass it you have an awful lot of other problems.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:37 AM   #21

Thank you everyone for the valuable input.
I guess my angst, and confusion muddied the waters a little.

Emotionally I could get in an RV and leave to go full timing in about a week or so... Just enough time to decide what I needed and pack a case!

But i've lived a nomadic life, following my job for 25 years, and lived in 11 countries, before I settled here in 2000.

My wonderful GF, has never been in a RV for more than hour, and not stayed over yet... the idea of just selling everything, and just going fulltime out of the gate scares her.

I truly believe that after an adjustment period, she would love it.
We have been watching a YouTube series called "Changing Lanes" together, and she seems excited to do something similar.

However, I have 2 vehicles, that I need to finish up and sell first, before I can get back to the Airstream, and complete that last push to being ready.
The two year time frame takes all this into account as well as the family commitments.

But I'm hoping to start shakedown trips in the Airstream in 2022, and begin to show her the joys of traveling with our Dogs, and then in 2023 we can sell the house if we want... or continue on with shorter trips.
As and when, we decide to sell up and move house, I respected her comment that she felt the Airstream was too "tight and basic" for longer term trips.... maybe, just maybe with some familiarization and adjustments she might accept its shortcomings... or the $150-250,000 price tag of the upgrade she likes will modify the plan.

I have already Identified a closet in the bedroom of the Airstream that I believe could accept a Combo washer/dryer!

The way I read the rules for Motorhomes was "If its two axle, and over 26,000lb, and/or over 40', you need an additional License".
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:39 AM   #22

Can anyone explain or direct me to an explanation of how the interest from an RV purchase impacts your taxes as a deduction?
Old 11-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If you take out an RV loan, you may deduct the interest on your taxes. An RV is considered a 2nd home, your loan is the "mortgage" on it & just as you can deduct mortgage interest on a S&B, you are allowed to deduct the interest on your RV loan.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
If yu don’t think you can pass the license test, you shouldn’t be driving that big of a rig. The test makes sure the drivers around you are safe, and if you can’t pass it you have an awful lot of other problems.

Wow.

FYI, I have probably driven, and towed more miles, in more countries than most people, and my driving record is clean, aside from a speeding ticket in Utah, 20+ years ago.

I've passed every driving test I have ever taken, including the British "Advanced Drivers Certificate" which is not easy at 23 years of age, for fun and to reduce my Insurance costs. Taken 3 driving tests in 3 countries, including 2 where didn't speak the language very well, and yeah, that small issue of transitioning to driving on the other side of the road too.
I've raced Karts, Formula Ford, and Formula Renault, and had a Racing License too, but on the road I'm a steady Eddie.

I have yet to have an accident I was at fault for... probably a function of being taught to drive by my Father who was a Grade A Police Driver in his day.
I am far from unable, or unwilling to take a test that is required to drive the rig of my choice, and WOULD NEVER Drive anything that I felt I was incapable to drive or endanger my loved ones, or anyone else.
Just went thru this with a family member who was driving when we believed they were past it... its not an easy conversation to have, and I told my Son, that when he thinks im there, not to hold back.

The one issue I have is, like most men, at 59, I am on Blood pressure meds... and I read that that means I have to get re-certified by a Dr every year instead of Bi-annually. That would mean stopping what I am doing and returning to California if I was out of state I think.

I came here to get clarity, so I can make a decision about what the story is on rigs, and their required Licenses.
I am not the only one in this RV world, who doesn't want to add complications to what should be a pleasurable life experience.
Being the son of a Police officer I am very sensitive about "Doing it right", and if doing it the right means taking a test, or buying a different rig to simplify my life, that what I will do.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
I'm sorry to say the Airstream is not big enough...

Motorhomes:
We looked at EVERYTHING... and this is what she said...

Class B(Too small).
Class C(Ok, but too small/basic).
Class A(Nice, Big, But she didnt feel safe in the Queens seat).
Super C.... PERFECT....
I was in the same boat awhile back.
I have owned every type of RV from popups to diesel pushers to antique ham cans and class A's. I love old RV's!
My wife decided that she wanted more room than our antique Travco class A had to offer. We decided to go with a modern but short class A. I also knew that I wanted to stay under that magic 26000 lb number. She found a floorplan with a fireplace and washer/dryer that she fell in love with so we set out on a nationwide search for it.
We bought a used 2017 LX package Bounder that we paid $98K for. It still looks and smells new inside and out. We have been on several long trips this year already and plan to fulltime in it soon.
Here are a few pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR resized.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	349139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2036.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	349140  

Name:	F150 Toad 1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	349141   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6368.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	349142  

Name:	Interior 3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	349143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 5.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	349144  

2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
If you take out an RV loan, you may deduct the interest on your taxes. An RV is considered a 2nd home, your loan is the "mortgage" on it & just as you can deduct mortgage interest on a S&B, you are allowed to deduct the interest on your RV loan.

Thanks.

I heard that was the case... I guess I should run some calculations in some tax calculators to see what the real impact is.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #27

That Travco is soooo COOL... Love it!
Sounds like you've been where I am for sure.

I once asked my girl if she wanted to get away for the weekend in my "Wilderness Chevy K10" which I built for going out to Death Valley, Mammoth, etc... she looked at me with a half smile, and said maybe she needed to reintroduce herself, as her I idea of "Camping" was a week at the Four Seasons...Its one of the vehicle I gotta sell...

Name:	DSC04119.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	349145
Old 11-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #28
Community Moderator

My advice is similar to what others have already said…..
Keep the airstream and use it for short getaways while you finish up your commitments (aging parents, etc) in California.
One year…two years…. whatever you are comfortable with.

THEN sell the house and drive to Florida in the airstream. Make Florida your legal domicile. Get new driver licenses. Florida does NOT require ANY special license to drive the RV of your dreams, nor does it require you to get a doctors exam, or a vehicle inspection!

Florida is THE place to find your NEW RV! LOTS of dealers. Attend the Tampa RV supershow…..largest RV show in the country.

After using the airstream in the interim, you and your girlfriend will know much better what features you are looking for in the new to you RV.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote