Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! You can't depend on someone else doing that for you. Thanks for the heads-up! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #16

as mentioned CHECK the PROPANE SNIFFER. we had just parked and had things all set up wife ran the slide out I grabbed the lawn chairs and sat down to visit with friends. 20 min. or so I got up to get something from the T/T, when I opened the door the propane stench just about knocked me down it was bad. I finally went inside and found one of the burner knobs was on just a little. turned it off and opened the roof vents and windows then got out trying not to make any sparks. the wife must have bumped the valve when she was moving around in there with the slide in, not much room .as for the sniffer i'm not sure how or when it got turned off but from now on I CHECK IT EVERYTIME WE SET UP. this could have been horribly disastrous, as we were in a forested area with high fire danger. I cringe at the thought that I when inside, I could have very well made a spark and that would have been it. should have shut the tanks off form outside and left the door open for a while.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:31 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
This is a very timely post for us. We have settled in our new coach in KY and after realizing we have only one smoke alarm in the entire coach (located over the drivers seat, not sue why) I ordered 4 more alarms and they all interact together. If one goes off, they all go off. I plan to put two in the basement and two in the coach itself. Thanks for the posting of this message.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #18

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Definitely need a working smoke detector. Ours doubles as a kitchen timer.

I can’t wait to try some of your blackened muffins [emoji16]
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
at least in California, you can't buy a 9 volt "battery only" powered smoke detector for your home. They outlawed it several years ago. They now sell lithium ion self contained battery only smokes. They claim they last 10 years. when the device starts to beep, you change the whole device.
Yeah that's so environmentally friendly.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #20

There are expiration dates on the smoke detectors whether they are 9v battery, lithium 10 year battery, or 120vac powered.
I bought several of the lithium battery powered smoke detectors and had one go bad at 1 year. Manufacturer replaced it for me no charge.
The lithium battery models do have a tab that needs to be pulled to activate it.

I try to remember to check the devices like these when I do regular maintenance on the coach. I have found a couple of the original 9v batteries that leaked in our summer heat.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:01 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
There are expiration dates on the smoke detectors whether they are 9v battery, lithium 10 year battery, or 120vac powered.
I bought several of the lithium battery powered smoke detectors and had one go bad at 1 year. Manufacturer replaced it for me no charge.
The lithium battery models do have a tab that needs to be pulled to activate it.

I try to remember to check the devices like these when I do regular maintenance on the coach. I have found a couple of the original 9v batteries that leaked in our summer heat.
Just bought 2 kddys yesterday. No date on them. The ones I replaced had dates. Not the new ones.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyOIB View Post
So we picked up our BRAND NEW MH from our North Carolina CW dealer about 2 months ago. Excitedly went over the all the features and benefits with our tech, and was sent on our merry way. After about 10 days of camping on various trips we thought maybe we would check our SMOKE detector since our old TT detector would almost drive us out of the coach if we even made toast and we hadn't heard a peep from our new one... WELL we were pretty upset to find that the protective tape on the battery had never even been pulled and the smoke detector was pretty worthless that way. Then decided to check the CO2 and propane detector's as well only to find that the battery tape was NOT PULLED on the CO2 either. TO THINK we camped 10 nights without either of our safety devices was just SCARY! SO PLEASE anyone in a newer RV, if you have NOT physically yourselves checked your SAFETY EQUIPMENT. DO IT RIGHT NOW!
Anyone who starts their post with........SO........I pass on.
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFoodGuy View Post
Anyone who starts their post with........SO........I pass on.
Why is that?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:59 PM   #24

so why would you do that
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:03 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check lists, periodic maintenance, regular service reminders. Oh Ya! And actually look...

Tags
safety