Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #1

Indoor storage

Hi...I need marketing insight. I'm thinking of opening a indoor, NON climate controlled storage building. I'd provide electrical service and security, but nothing else. What would you pay for that service? I'm thinking I'd have to "rent" the spaces for the whole year but maybe I need to consider six months? Anyway, your feedback would be appreciated. FYI...I live on the Eastern shore of Maryland. Thank you!!!
TERANCE133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Call around and find out what others are charging for the same thing, Prices change based on local and need.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:01 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I live in St Paul MN, but, store my MH 2 hours away because around the Twin City Metro Area you can't find indoor storage. If you can it is anywhere from 300.00 per month to 500.00 per month.

In a small town in WI I pay 1320.00 per year. Fortunately it is only 10 miles from some land that I own on a lake. We use our MH as a cabin there.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #4

I'm located north of you in southeastern Pa. In this area an enclosed storage unit that will accommodate a 40 ft RV with the services you describe will cost between $350-$450 or slightly more per month. Now here is the next part of the story, you can't find an open unit anywhere. They are all booked with virtually no one giving up their lease.
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:30 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We live in a small metro area in Iowa (population ~110,000. We pay $280 a month for 50x15. Most of the units by us are not rented by RVs but by small businesses or people with project cars and boats.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERANCE133 View Post
Hi...I need marketing insight. I'm thinking of opening a indoor, NON climate controlled storage building. I'd provide electrical service and security, but nothing else. What would you pay for that service? I'm thinking I'd have to "rent" the spaces for the whole year but maybe I need to consider six months? Anyway, your feedback would be appreciated. FYI...I live on the Eastern shore of Maryland. Thank you!!!
I'm from MD. You looking for investors? What do you mean in door but not climate controlled? You can't keep the temp above 32 indoors?
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If you could keep the inside temperature above freezing (not the same as "climate controlled"), you would add substantial value and could charge accordingly.

Unless you charge an annual rental fee, your monthly rates will need to cover the several months when the storage area is mostly empty. Like a hotel, the rental rate has to be based on average occupancy. Basically annual cost divided by average occupancy.

Most populous areas like the Eastern Shore have a high demand for inside storage, but the cost of land, taxes, and such make is cost-prohibitive for many RV owners.

Electrical service is tricky to provide. You pretty much need to have a dedicated circuit to each storage site because somebody will surely trip a breaker now and then. Most places only try to provide a 15A outlet for battery charging, but inevitably someone will accidentally (or not) run an a/c, dehumidifier, or other high-amp device. If a tripped breaker takes out power to 4 rigs and they lose battery charge, you are going to have angry customers.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Out here in Ca. near the Bay Area we pay $200.00 apiece for 2 spots. They are only closed on 3 sides so obviously not climate controlled. It's a guarded place with cameras and a residential apartment occupied by the manager. No electrical. It has a wash bay and dump station and air compressor. No thefts or vandalism to my knowledge. We've had those spots (one for rv and one for boat) for 10 years. Just frustrated with constant increases in $. As far as I know they just do month to month. Some get a small discount for paying a year at once. They have outdoor spaces also as well as storage lock-ups- like small buildings.

I would think it's a great business that probably isn't a ton of "hands-on" all the time. Would be great as a retirement business too I believe.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #9

Would humidity in eastern Maryland affect an indoor facility with no ventilation?

Be sure to design it so it's easy for people to get in and out inbetween short trips.

By security does that mean you'd be on the premises? Otherwise, how would people get to their RVs when they wanted?

As far as price, you need to compare other storage facilities in the area. Each area would be different.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:58 AM   #10

One of these days, I'll build an indoor storage for my MH.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #11

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 12-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #12

Wow! Thanks for your feedback!
Old 12-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
$280/mo for 40' without power. My 40'DP is actually over 42' so it won't fit.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #14

The facility i'm looking at is a warehouse...no heat or ac, but insullated. Temp inside is around 50 when the temp outside is in the 30's

Tags
door, indoor, storage