Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2021, 05:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Insane drivers hassling RVs

Maybe it's just happening to me but the last few trips we've been on there have been multiple incidents of complete idiots who seems to delight in cutting us off.
I drive in the right lanes, especially in urban areas. Today traveling through Columbus, OH on I-270 some idiot came zooming up on the far right merging lane, cut in front of us literally an inch from our right fender, cut across to the left lanes, passed someone ON THE LEFT SHOULDER and took off at about 100mph. In an old Dodge Neon. I didn't think they could go that fast without blowing a cylinder or something, LOL. I thought my wife was going to have a heart attack. Didn't do much for my cardiac health either.

This has happened to us on numerous trips, always in urban areas. I drive 65 regardless of speed limit (unless it's less), always in the right lanes unless to pass. I drive defensively, as I was taught in Drivers' Ed back in 1971.

Is this some sort of game the fast 'n furious crowd is playing these days? Somebody is going to get killed.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2021, 06:04 PM   #2

I don’t think it was more cutting you off because of the rv more than it was because it’s Columbus on 270. That city is horrible with its drivers, and even worse when it’s construction season. I watched a wreck happen a few years ago on 71 going north from 270 because of the same thing that happened to you…. except the speedy gonzales didn’t anticipate a whole bunch of barrels waiting for him after passing on the shoulder.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Burns --

I haven't experienced malicious intent (yet) from other drivers. What I do see rather frequently are drivers who "hurry up to get around the slow, big boy" before a light turns red, anxious to get to an exit a bit quicker, etc.

Like you I drive 63-65 mph mostly for fuel mileage and do drive in the right lane almost always. I do pull into the left lane and speed up to 70-72 mph to pass a hunk-of-junk driving 45 mph. Inevitably while I'm passing, someone driving 85+ mph catches up and rides my bumper until I get past the hunk-of-junk. That driver becomes really pissed off and speeds past me sometimes showing me that I'm number one.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Somebody is going to get killed.
Unfortunately, you are correct - people are frequently killed in vehicles. For the purposes for this post, I wont call them accidents. Stupidity is more like it.

Based on your description, I don't think the Neon was going after you specifically. But you would have been hurt in the accident nonetheless.

I haven't found people to treat me any differently than they do tractor trailers. I try to have an extra level of patience and realize they have no idea what it is like to drive a Rig.

I think I was always a polite driver but when I got a rig I became much more polite to the tractors trailers and, of course, other rigs.

Stay safe and try to avoid high traffic times when possible. I know there are sections around Chicago I will drive WAY out of my way to avoid!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm in same mod as you guys, 65 MPH right hand lane. I recently moved my dash cam from my work vehicle to the RV. While it won't stop an accident or the idiots on the road it offers some piece of mind having it there.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:51 PM   #6

We rarely drive through big cities or on interstates but sometimes you just have to. If enough lanes we don't drive in the far right lane where those merging need it to enter. We pick the next lane & stay there through the whole city. It's a lot more comfortable and if folks want to pass they can do so on the left lane.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #7

Episodes like this are why I installed a dash camera .

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Maybe it's just happening to me but the last few trips we've been on there have been multiple incidents of complete idiots who seems to delight in cutting us off.
I drive in the right lanes, especially in urban areas. Today traveling through Columbus, OH on I-270 some idiot came zooming up on the far right merging lane, cut in front of us literally an inch from our right fender, cut across to the left lanes, passed someone ON THE LEFT SHOULDER and took off at about 100mph. In an old Dodge Neon. I didn't think they could go that fast without blowing a cylinder or something, LOL. I thought my wife was going to have a heart attack. Didn't do much for my cardiac health either.

This has happened to us on numerous trips, always in urban areas. I drive 65 regardless of speed limit (unless it's less), always in the right lanes unless to pass. I drive defensively, as I was taught in Drivers' Ed back in 1971.

Is this some sort of game the fast 'n furious crowd is playing these days? Somebody is going to get killed.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
If more than two lanes going my direction through a city, I try to NOT drive in the far right lane. That way I avoid most of the on off ramp traffic and seldom get someone cutting in close to me. Sure some people have to go around me on the right or left but it seems much less chaotic.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We rarely drive through big cities or on interstates but sometimes you just have to. If enough lanes we don't drive in the far right lane where those merging need it to enter. We pick the next lane & stay there through the whole city. It's a lot more comfortable and if folks want to pass they can do so on the left lane.
Driving in the right lane through cities when you have no intention of exiting is dangerous for the reason baraff stated.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:19 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaone View Post
If more than two lanes going my direction through a city, I try to NOT drive in the far right lane. That way I avoid most of the on off ramp traffic and seldom get someone cutting in close to me. Sure some people have to go around me on the right or left but it seems much less chaotic.
Agree plus some exits on the far left lane in some cities
Bylandorsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:32 PM   #11

Many years ago I went from a rural commute to 140 mile one way to SF Bay area. I was wondering if there was something about my PU truck that induced road rage.

Then one day I left my ride at the dealer for maintenance and was given a nondescript loaner. On the way to work, I found a crazy. I backed off to figure out what to do and was passed. Watched two crazies chase each other down the road. Road rage meet road rage.

On the way home it was late. At one point I am on a 3 lane freeway with no traffic. Road rage verses road rage were coming up fast. Just after they passed me, they hit each other and car parts went flying.

Point is that aggressive driving has nothing to do with what you are driving. A little situation awareness will help you see it coming.

In the last 400 miles, I have had to brake hard when a car was passing my MH in a no passing zone did not see a car coming. Insane or stupid?
Old 09-23-2021, 07:39 PM   #12

Dash Cameras are a must these days. I've had several come across the front of the truck to where I couldn't see half the car. If they tap the brakes, it's gonna get ugly for them quick.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:39 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
I stay out of the bumper pool (far right) lane because of the idiots that don't think any further than their nose and wait to do anything until the last minute
Old 09-23-2021, 07:44 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I do the same!

And those that do cut in front of me too close, get a good blast of the Hadley's!

Their loud enough to make normal sane people poop their pants !

Tags
driver, rvs