Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2020, 09:09 AM   #1

Inside Storage- Cons?

OK. I have posted about my terrible neighbor and my outside storage area being broken into and having 10 catalytic converters stolen. I have found inside storage and I know this may sound like a dumb question but are there any cons to inside storage? I will have access via a keypad but a little less than in the open unit. Owner wants me to call him anytime I open the door so he has some record of who is accessing his storage warehouse. What say you?....bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #2

1. Even though you're supposed to call when you enter, I'm assuming, if the owner isn't available, you can still get in.

2. I've never had inside storage, but I assume maneuvering room might be limited so make sure it won't a problem, especially if the warehouse is just filling up.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything to be concerned about.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think there are many cons vs outdoor, but the larger indoor storage areas may not be all that much safer. The more people who have access, the more risk that some nefarious people will get in. Sadly, there are enough reports of thefts from indoor storage facilities to make caution advisable there as well.

The only con I can think of is a likely prohibition on running a generator inside or running the engine any longer than needed to park it..
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #4

If you only have to make a phone call to get access, it's far better to have a rig stored indoors. I would want a little clarification as to the owner being available via phone every day and what to do if you call and can't reach him. The other consideration is what's allowed in terms of doing any small jobs on the rig while in storage. This can be very important if you can't work on your rig at home.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
PKI

First - if there is no security - "I need to know who is accessing" - you may just be putting your rig somewhere the thieves can get what they want out of the eyes of the public. When we started looking for underground storage, we saw a post that told about a nice rig getting trashed in a below ground storage facility.

So - check the security of the facility.

Any facility can have vermin - so check the vector control situation.

An external facility allows you to spot rig. Many inside facilities do the spotting. Investigate to see if you are OK with that process.

Some inside storage is not dry enough to prevent mold - underground, maybe. Same may be the case for dust contamination and building condition.

Generally, inside storage is much, much better than external. I would chose inside in almost every case. Might chose individual isolation over a warehouse under sketchy security circumstances. The biggest value we get from inside storage, besides protection from weather and UV damage is the services the organization provides ..... LPG, dump, wash, wax and some maintenance operations at reasonable rates. Note - when you wash high end full body paint, you have to know how it is done or you will not be in business long.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #6

I'm not so sure I like the phone call method of recording who gets in. Is your keypad code not unique? A keypad code for each renter, would seem to be more secure. The owner would have a real record of who unlocked the door, not just a phone log. Maybe he has video? Such that when you call he can see it's actually you? That would make me feel better too.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #7

Currently only the 2 co-owners have access via keypad. I have stored with them in the winter. During the winter months they have 550 RV's,boats and cars in the warehouse. There is a 2 week period where all the stored units are put into place by the staff.No access during the winter months and then 2 weeks in the spring when all units have to be removed.Once in place you are stuck. They like this approach but are getting a lot of inquiries for summer storage. Everyone unfortunately wants access during the summer and they are not set up for this at the moment. I know the co-owners and I am kind of a dry run to see how this works for me and them. Checking to see if running the genny will be a problem as I havent moved yet. Obviously being out of the sun/elements would be a good thing but I was worried about mice etc.......bob
Old 06-16-2020, 10:03 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Inside storage on its own has no downsides in my opinion. I live in a town where 35-40% of the homes have RV garages attached. I have heard nothing over many years that would lead me to believe that inside storage has any detrimental affect on RVs.

The security issue with public storage is separate and on that I have no opinion
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #9

In my area, five winters of indoor storage is roughly equal to the cost of a decent steel carport. Building codes and HOAs can be obstacles, but I’d rather have my own year-round shelter. Mice are a problem, indoors or out, unless you have a tightly-sealed private garage.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #10

If Im not travelling in the winter, my rv, as well as my boat are stored in a large indoor building. It has no heat, but its out of the weather, which is important here in Canada due to snow load. The only downfall I see, is once you are in, you are in. Your rv might be behind 10 or 20 other rvs and boats. Sounds similar to the situation you describe. I had to wait for several fifth wheels to get removed this spring to get my boat. People didn't seem to be in much of a hurry this year to get their campers and boats out.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #11

The only con for indoor storage is the price!
Old 06-16-2020, 10:08 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
With indoor storage, if one rv catches fire, most likely all will go up in flames or be so damaged, they will be totaled. Still, I would go with indoor storage.

Tags
storage