Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
What if u have to replace a windshield or half of a split windshield? Where does one get replacement magnets and the approximate cost for same? Being that rv windshields are rock magnets, I see this as a concern. Someone I know has unfortunately has (3) in the last couple of yrs.
Remove the magnets with a putty knife or razor widget. They come with plenty of extra adhesive pads for multiple re-installs.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkman View Post
Can you still see out your windshield From inside with that installed?
On the Magneshade, yes, you can see out and cannot see in during the day. However at night if lights are on inside you can see in.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:37 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccastle View Post
Do you think you could post a link on descriptions of the magnets you got from Amazon? It would be much appreciated!!

The ones I ordered are not as strong as I would like. However, the power is additive. So all magnets are double layer except the inside top corners, which are tripled. As I stated, this was a last minute quicky job just before leaving for the summer. (Next day Amazon) There are other vendors that supply heavier magnets.

Remember: To separate slide the magnets, do not try to pull. And watch your fingers!

https://smile.amazon.com/DIYMAG-Powe...b-8a79de2d236f
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:39 PM   #60

Entegra Owners Club
Tip: go to the store and buy a big diameter pool noodle. Purchase 4 neodymium magnets From Amazon and duct tape them to the pool noodle the same distance as the magnets on the side of the front shade. That way you pop the pool noodle on the side of the front shade and simply roll it up. That way one person can install the front shade in just a couple minutes
Old 09-06-2020, 07:45 PM   #61

Best investment ever

Bought this and it is great. Sometimes we also need to let it relax and stretch out. Love this worth every penny!
artkjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #62

Magnashade

Love their products — got the wheel covers, & cover for driver’s window .
Now saving up for windshield cover.
Products made in America!
jrtgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #63

Eddvel, it has never moved at all through heavy t-storms, a gale at the coast, a hailstorm and a blast from a nearby tornado. It's been installed nearly every day since 2013. I guess it could peel off if the wind hit it just right strongly enough but it hasn't yet.

For travel I just loosely fold it and don't put anything on top of it; it's been about a week that way several times and never took on any permanent creases. I don't have a bag but I do have the installation rod, which is necessary. Installation is easier if I go up a couple of steps on a stepstool.

All stitching is as-new and it's been out in the sun seven years now.

The only minor gripe is that a few leaves or heavy pollen can wash down between the top of the screen and windshield in heavy rain. I put a gutter across the brow of the windshield and that mostly stopped it plus prevents fiberglass chalking from washing down over the windshield.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:39 AM   #64

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Earlier someone asked about mounting magna shades on coaches with top windshield wipers and I didn't see anyone chime in on this. We had magna shades on our gas coach with bottom wipers and loved them but the new coach has top wipers and we were wondering if it made install and remove more difficult or required a ladder to move the wiper blades.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:57 AM   #65

Magma Shade

We got one this past winter at the Indio show and couldn’t be happier With the look and the cooling effect. We put it up and failed to peel the adhesive side on the magnets. Went to move and when we pulled the shade down there was nothing holding the magnets in place and they all fell down between the windshield and the dash. Took hours to get those puppies out of there and you can bet we installed the magnets as we should have. You don’t need a ladder for the windshield but you will for the side windows as the magnets are glued on the body. Enjoy!
beedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:32 AM   #66

Magna Shade

We've had a Magna Shade for 5 years now and are very happy with it.
You can purchase a case for it and it rolls up easily.

However, caution about the magnets! As you have read, they are very powerful and it is easy to accidentally have them stick to each other. I couldn't pull them apart with my hands and had to use a vice to hold one while pulling the other one apart.

Our windshield broke due to a flying rock while traveling in Canada. So, after we had it replaced, I ordered new magnets to install on the new windshield.

The required placement for the bottom magnets on the inside were very hard to reach due to the design of our dashboard and I could barely hold the magnets with my finger tips. While reaching down, the magnet jumped from my fingers to the windshield and CRACKED the new $2,400 windshield! Remember the magnet has adhesive on the windshield side, so you can't slide it.

So, watch the video on their website to lean how to install the magnets. For the other side of the windshield I first placed the shade on the outside and with a marker put a dot on the windshield where the magnet is located. Then, I removed the shade and installed the magnet on the inside.
Lar-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #67

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That looks great! Really personalizes your rig. I have a white screen similar to Watermans. Use it all the time, you wouldn’t believe how much cooler it keeps the inside of the coach! During daylight hours, you can see out but not in. At night that reverses so I draw the inside curtains to maintain privacy. Magnets won’t stick to fiberglass, so I bought 6 small quarter twist chrome clips and used small stainless steel screws to attach to the coach, then put the matching oval grommets into the shade. Sure, I had to permantly mount them into the coach body, but they don’t stand out that much. Place them evenly and close to the corners of the windshield. And if I need to replace the screen, I will still be able to align the grommets to match the exsisting studs on the coach.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #68

we"ve had ours for 6 years and had to replace the windshield once. I bought the magnets from Magnets For Less. They are 1in dia by 3/8 in thick rare earth neodymium N42 magnets.I attached them with 3M VHB double sided tape. that was 4 years ago and they are still holding tight.
rogerray45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had a Magna Shade for years. Yes, they are a little expensive, but the quality, fit and easy of installation are second to none. Several years ago, someone broke into the storage bins of our motorhome and stole the shade (among other things). We purchased another without hesitation. You will definitely notice a reduction in heat from the sun coming through the windshield.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:41 PM   #70

Solar screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
That's really nice, but waaay too rich for my blood! I'll have to keep using my Reflectix!
You can purchase 72" solar screen by the foot for about $9. a foot for 80% block or $10. a foot for 90% block. An 8' piece for $72. to $80. Sew in some super magnets in the corners and you're ready to go. And Amazon sells an 80% block, 50 feet long (48" width) for $125. Of course many prefer to just pay the $595-895. and that's cool too!
Rade1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, install