Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #15

iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree that if you have to ask, hire an electrician. Just make sure s/he understands how RVs are wired (I suspect most do not). Show her/him the material Route 66 linked.

You might be able to reduce the bill if the electrician allows you to do some of the grunt work in advance, such as any trenching, pulling the wires, etc. You will probably have to get a permit but, in the long run, that will protect you.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I am building a new house now. I had the engineer add in 2, 50amp hookups. One in the front of the house and one in the rear of the house. Last dec I had a 50 amp service put in at the daughter's house for when we are there, cost was 450.00$. Adding the service when the house is being built cost 50$ each. Sure made me a happy camper.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I am serious about this: If you have to ask, HIRE A PROFESSIONAL.

One thing I will say about RV-50 amp service: The pro's almost never screw it up

30 amp, they often screw up.

So at least you are doing it right going for fifty.

Now, as tohow to do it, I know exactly how to do it, but as I said, if you have to ask, hire a professional.. There is serious risk in that kind of current.
The reason they don't screw it up is, unlike a 30-amp connection, a 50-amp residential/industrial connection is the same for an RV. Residential 30 amp connects contain two hots and no neutral. It would make things go 'pop' in an RV.

I agree with the previous posters. If you are asking basic electrical questions like that, let someone qualified supervise.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mr. Schwartz... You got that one 100% Thanks for quoting me on it.

Yes, Seems to have tapered off a bit for for several years hardly a week went by when we did not hear from someone who pluggd in to a 30 amp 220 volt outlet and, as you said, things went POP,

For the humor impaired the following is a JOKE: (Happens to be true, in part, but it is a JOKE):
Electroincs run on magic smoke.. I know this because if you let the smoke out they stop working, and it's impossible to recover the smoke once it escapes.

For the humor impaired: The joke part is "Magic smoke" the true part is when it escapes the device stops working properly.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #19

The biggest thing when hiring an electrician (or any trade for that matter) is to be very specific about what you want, which may mean doing a little research yourself first, such as the site posted previously.

Never assume that the 'pro' you've hired knows it all, because the best ones know they don't, but will endevour to learn when necessary. If you only want to go with a 30A receptacle for your RV, be sure to specify your need for a "30A, 120V" supply. Even an apprentice should know that 120V means one hot, one neutral.

FWIW, i've been an electrician for 15 yrs or so. My dad has been an electrician for close to 40 yrs. While I have no problem with people wanting to do electrical themselves, please know when you're over you're head and get help. If nothing else, bring someone in to look at what you've done to verify it is correct. I know that myself, if everything looks good and there is no need to make changes, I won't even charge for the inspection.

Just my 2 cents, i'll get off my box now!
Midnite-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote