Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2017, 08:54 AM   #15

Wow, thanks, and 8 available at my local Lowes!! I thought that since this was a somewhat unique outlet, they would be hard to find.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Not unique at all. Used by many high capacity dryers.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Suggestion: Take a look at your Generator...

What does that have to do with your question.

On my 50 amp Rig I have an Onan Emerald 5500 RV type generator

It has two circuit breakers.. 30 amp

And I almost never trip one via overload. At least not unless I'm feeding a 2nd RV (I can do that).

So, if you can run everything on a generator with 2 30 amp outputs, You will do just fine with your plan.

IN fact. i suggest it.

Except the gen. is not pushing it thru 60' of wire first. Tim you may find that the wire running out to the garage is larger than maybe the #8 it may call for. That being said your breaker may be 40a because that is all the main panel could handle? With proper load management and if that wire is let's say a #6 you may be able to put a 50 in its place. Not code but with proper load management let's say turning off the breaker to an electric oven in the house you could get by.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I do exactly that in my detached garage. I already had a double pole 30a socket, so just made a dongle converting a double pole 30amp male plug, to a double pole 50amp female socket. The 50amp coach plugs into that, but of course each leg is limited to 30amps.

What you should do however, it look closely at your circuit breaker box in your coach, to determine which devices are connected to which leg. Most of the time if there are two A/C's in a coach, the mfg will put one A/C on leg A, and the second A/C on leg B to balance the load.

Determine which legs your high current devices are on, in a circuit breaker box the 'physical' breakers will alternate between leg A and leg B. Find which leg your hotwater heater is on, the microwave/oven, your converter, and any other high current devices. When you turn on one of your A/C's, choose the one that is on the leg that has the least current already being consumed. If you keep your loads balanced, it will limit your exposure to tripping the 30A breaker.

Look closely at the breakers, sometimes they use slim's which have two slim breakers together in one 'physical' normal width breaker.

Since you RV will be in the garage, it's not baking in the sun so won't need 2 A/C's running anyhow.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #19

Thanks Kiawah, good stuff to track down. I don't have the RV yet but will determine which appliance and other high load items are connected to which leg. I'll also diagram everything I can as I go through the coach. That worked well for me when trying to diagnose electrical issues or install new items on my boat.
I'm not sure but the coach we're considering may have an EMS which sheds certain loads as necessary. That will take some study to determine how all that works.
Both sold
Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #20

Send a message via ICQ to Vicr Send a message via AIM to Vicr
timjet, I've been an electrician for over 34 years and have a couple of questions:
1. What amperage is the main breaker in your house's panel?
2. What size is the wire going to your shed and is it copper or aluminum?
3. Is the line going to the garage in conduit or is it direct burial?

These questions need to be answered before you start the work so I can determine the best way to supply the most amperage to your coach and do it to code.
Thanks.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
If your RV has 3 ACs, make sure you know which legs your ACs are on. Obviously, one of them will have 2 ACs.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I’m planning on installing an electrical outlet at home for my 40’ DP. The outlet will be installed inside my detached garage and I would like to use a 50 amp outlet – NEMA 14-50R outlet. However my garage only has 40 amp service supplied from my house circuit breaker panel via a double pole 40 amp breaker.

So in order not to allow more current than the wire from the house circuit breaker panel to the garage circuit breaker panel can handle, I’m going to use a 30 amp double pole breaker to feed the RV outlet. (14-50R outlet). My question is, will I likely need to be careful in managing the power usage in the coach so as not to overlaod the 30 amp breaker, or is the 30 amp double pole power enough to power most everything?
timjet
In that situation I would use the 40 amp double pole breaker in your house to feed the 14-50R outlet ...(rather than a 30 amp double breaker).

Some "common sense power management" will be necessary with either... but you will be able to run more with the 40A than with a 30.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchopper View Post
timjet
In that situation I would use the 40 amp double pole breaker in your house to feed the 14-50R outlet ...(rather than a 30 amp double breaker).

Some "common sense power management" will be necessary with either... but you will be able to run more with the 40A than with a 30.
See post #20 ^^^^^^ Those questions need to be answered first BEFORE any decision is made in regard to 40A or 30A sizing.

Plus, timjet already stated that he wanted to keep it at the 30A size so that there was some availability for other power usage in the garage.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Just guessing. If you do not know if you are exceeding your main panel's capacity, why not just add a subpanel?

Even if the main panel has "blanks", that does not mean you have more capacity. As previously mentioned, consider the length of run. Get a licensed electrician !!
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
timjet, I've been an electrician for over 34 years and have a couple of questions:
1. What amperage is the main breaker in your house's panel?
2. What size is the wire going to your shed and is it copper or aluminum?
3. Is the line going to the garage in conduit or is it direct burial?

These questions need to be answered before you start the work so I can determine the best way to supply the most amperage to your coach and do it to code.
Thanks.
Thanks Vicr;
1. Main breaker panel is 200 amps. A 40 amp double pole breaker in the main panel feeds a sub panel in the garage. The garage sub panel currently has 4 single pole breakers feeding various outlets and lights in the garage, all 110 volt. There are 2 available slots in the garage sub-panel where I intend to put the 30 double pole breaker to feed the RV outlet.

2. I believe I have #8 copper cable from the main panel 40 amp double pole breaker to the garage sub panel. It may be #6, I will try and determine tomorrow.

3. The cable from the main panel to the garage sub panel is direct burial.
Both sold
Old 02-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So in order not to allow more current than the wire from the house circuit breaker panel to the garage circuit breaker panel can handle, I’m going to use a 30 amp double pole breaker to feed the RV outlet. (14-50R outlet). My question is, will I likely need to be careful in managing the power usage in the coach so as not to overlaod the 30 amp breaker, or is the 30 amp double pole power enough to power most everything?
It should work OK, but the specifics will depend on how the appliances in your rig is set up. I ran my 40 ft DP that way for years during the off-season, using dual 30A outlets and a cheater box. My coach had the rear a/c and the water heater on the same "leg", so the a/c plus the heater maxed out the 30A for that side. If the a/c needed to run a lot, I switched the heater to LP to avoid hitting the 30A, but since it was winter season that didn't happen often. The washer-dryer was also on that leg.

So, the answer will depend on your specific power needs. If you could do 40A/240v, most of the combined peak load concerns would go away.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:03 AM   #27

Send a message via ICQ to Vicr Send a message via AIM to Vicr
Tim, the wire size, and now that I know it's direct burial I need to know what type of direct burial cable it is. The outside sheathing on the cable will be marked "TYPE UF" or it might be "SE" anyway I need to know that and the conductor size to look up the ampacity of the cable.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:37 PM   #28

Use AWG 8 cable to wire your outlet, same at is going to your shed. Use a 40amp breaker ( to match your breaker to the service panel wire – that is the most amperage you can pull anyway). The breaker is there to protect the wire. Use the 50-amp outlet to match the plug. The fact that it is rated for more than you will pull with a 40-amp breaker is not an issue. You will be fine.
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, service