Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I just completed this project and used a 4 x 4 treated post then installed a weather proof box and buried plastic conduit and ran 6-3 with ground to the box with a 50 amp breaker. ground is at the supply panel and then everything is grounded.

Perfectly safe!

The only issue I see is the conduit should contain conductors - not a Romex type cable. Its a temperature thing.

-- I'd have pulled 3 #6 plus a #10 ground which would have been in-disputabley proper.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #30

We have done this over the last two years. We first ran the electric, water, and sewer under the gravel driveway. We used a "H" panel for the RV electrical box. Wiring was run in conduit. This year we had a concrete slab poured. We did the work ourselves with the help of a neighbor except for the concrete. Our main electrical box and meter is also located on an H panel. This is a rural area in the midwest and the county has no zoning at all.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Craig.....I did concrete for years plus the job you and I both use to do. I would NEVER bury a box like that into concrete. If it were me, I would put a metal pole (3" or 4" diameter) into the concrete and then bolt the box to the pole. You're just asking for issues with the box rusting out in a few years, coated or not. It looks like you could cut that box down.

You can run the grey pvc electrical conduit up to the box, but you must transition over to metal though the concrete and above ground to the box. I not electrically savvy enough to know if you need the grounding rod, but if you do, you need to make sure it's installed before the concrete work started. The rod is about 8' long and has to be hammered into the ground with about 4"-6" sticking up through the concrete.

Do it all to code and take lots of photos. If you later get caught, you can show that did it to code rather than dig everything up.

Lastly, I ran water to my RV slab and I was lucky enough to be able to run a sewer line about 20' to the front edge of my house where I was able to tap into the sewer system.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don,

Thanks for the reply. The electrical and plumbing are all being done before I pour concrete. Someone suggested I frame out the concrete opening for the pedestal and pour gravel in the gap. I like that idea so I plan on leaving a 6" gap between the pedestal and the concrete. That way the pedestal could be removed if it were necessary. I'm not overly concerned about it rusting out. I've been visiting some of the same CG's for 25 years, and most if not all still have their original pedestals.

Taking photos of the work as it progresses is a good idea, thanks!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just finished my RV pad. Here is a link to some photos.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, power