Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2016, 10:08 PM   #1

Unhappy Insulation for a Norcold Refrigerator Pipes

I have a 2007 American Tradition with a Norcold refrigerator and it is not getting as cold as it should. I looked in the outside compartment and the insulation has been pulled from around the pipes. When I put the insulation back around the pipes the refrigerator got cold again. These pipes are very hot and I need to get the right kind of insulation so that the pipes do not burn or melt it. Need help on where to buy the proper insulation.
harrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 10:26 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Norcold fridges have a reputation for catching on fire. I'd be very hesitant to put any more insulation on the 'pipes.' Since there's no compressor in an absorption refrigerator, the cooling process is created by evaporation of ammonia and other chemicals in the boiler at the bottom and condensation as it cools and travels through the pipes.

Most folks increase cooling power of the refrigerator by increasing ventilation by adding fans to remove heat, not seal it in.

Check with an RV refrigeration tech to see if insulation is needed or whether the insulation belongs against the refrigerator box.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:29 PM   #3

The ONLY thing on a RV Fridge that is insulated pipe is the 'burner stack'
Gas burner on bottom and electric element in tube welded to side.
Heat (350*F gas flame/330*F electric heat) ....liquid ammonia rises being heated

The Flue/burner stack/perc tube are wraped in insulation and then covered by sheet metal.

Any other 'insulation' falling down would be insulation used in side walls/roof of fridge enclosure cabinet.

This is a new cooling unit .......not installed..........burner stack is on right side

Not sure what insulation you are having to put back on??????
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:41 AM   #4

If both freezer and refrigerator compartments don't cool well, on shore power, one of the two electric heating elements may not be working. Or check for obstruction in vent stack, assuming ventilation fans are operating. Air flow up the back of cooling unit is critical.

If the freezer is cold but the refrigerator is warm, time to check your thermistor.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks, Old-Biscuit, for the photo.

harrell1, is the refrigerator in a slide? A number of folks report cooling issues with fridges in slides since the top vent has to come out the side instead of the roof. Addition of 12v cooling fans usually helps.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:15 PM   #6

The RV is in storage now but I will get some pictures and post them here. Thanks for the help.
harrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Any fiberglass insulation is OK. It must be fiberglass so it won't catch fire!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, but "any fiberglass" is NOT OK. The stuff made for residential use is nowhere near resistant enough for those temperatures. The burner tube operates at around 350 degrees, so you need pipe insulation designed for boilers. Grainger Supply has it, good for up to around 850 degrees.

Listen to Old Biscuit: Do NOT insulate anything other than the boiler tube.

Here are some:
https://www.grainger.com/product/JOH...198132/_/N-r6b
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Gary, thanks for correcting me! I didn't know there was any difference in fiberglass insulation!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, refrigerator