Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2021, 07:24 AM   #1

Insurance or GPS tracker on toys

We are about ready to start some extended travel and of course have to bring the toys. Specifically a Hobie Tandem Island kayak/sailboat worth about 6K and 2 recumbent electric assist trikes worth about 2K each. They will either be locked and in the truck bed or locked to something next to the camper. I was dismayed to learn they are not covered under truck comp coverage when in the truck and not covered at all when at a campground. Even getting ebike coverage is a challenge.
So do I get separate theft/vandalism on each or put a GPS tracker in everything and hope the police will assist in recovering? Hate to be paranoid but too many stories about thefts at campgrounds have me concerned.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 08:31 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOHENS View Post
We are about ready to start some extended travel and of course have to bring the toys. Specifically a Hobie Tandem Island kayak/sailboat worth about 6K and 2 recumbent electric assist trikes worth about 2K each. They will either be locked and in the truck bed or locked to something next to the camper. I was dismayed to learn they are not covered under truck comp coverage when in the truck and not covered at all when at a campground. Even getting ebike coverage is a challenge.
So do I get separate theft/vandalism on each or put a GPS tracker in everything and hope the police will assist in recovering? Hate to be paranoid but too many stories about thefts at campgrounds have me concerned.
Check with your homeowners insurance. Normally contents of a car or an RV are or can be covered under you homeowners or renters policy. This is if your not full-timers with none of the above.

Often you have to add a rider for specific things at a specific value. It's no different than if you want to insure a $50,000 diamond ring. You buy a rider for your homeowners.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:47 AM   #3

No I have been working with my agent. The boat limit is 1500 and apparently it can't be raised. And ebikes are a different class and no coverage is available. I have checked with one other insurance company and both things were confirmed. One would think if an object was in the bad of a truck and locked to the truck it would be covered under comp coverage, but not so if it is an ebike and if it is a kayak the limit is 1500.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:49 AM   #4

Police departments across the country are understaffed now. The chances that they have the manpower to track and recover something that isn't bleeding is small.
I would shop other insurance companies, yours doesn't sound like it ever wants a claim.

Tags
gps, insurance