RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2019, 09:40 PM   #1

Intelli Power converter?

In one of my storage bins, I've found an "Intelli Power Model PD9145A" power converter.

The product info says it provides "reliable filtered DC power to all recreational vehicle 12-volt lighting and appliance circuits. The PD9145 converter also provides safe and rapid recharging of RV batteries."

My 12v appliances work flawlessly. Not sure how this unit in involved in charging my RV batteries, since I have solar panels on the roof that keep the batteries charged using a charger, and an inverter to energize the AC outlets.

One of the things I don't understand in the attached photo is the AC plug hanging next to the AC outlet. The AC plug comes from the Intelli Power unit.

Does anyone know what the purpose of plugging the AC plug into the outlet would be? I've never plugged it in and I've had this RV for almost two years.

Am I missing some super-functionality?

The white fixture above, attached to the ceiling is another double AC outlet. I'm assuming this allows me to easily plug in AC appliances when doing work outside the RV.

Thanks for any help.

Gary M.
2000 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 30H
Workhorse Chassis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7189.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	265042  
gmrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2019, 09:59 PM   #2

Only guessing, but how do you charge your batteries when solar is not available? That converter is designed to be plugged into AC and that outlet may be wired to shore power or the generator. Your set up does not require its use, but there may be times when you will need to plug in and charge the batteries.

You might try testing the outlet to find the source of its power.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Only guessing, but how do you charge your batteries when solar is not available? That converter is designed to be plugged into AC and that outlet may be wired to shore power or the generator. Your set up does not require its use, but there may be times when you will need to plug in and charge the batteries.

You might try testing the outlet to find the source of its power.
Thanks for jumping in.

The unit in the photo is on the starboard side of the rig. On the port side is the connection to shore power, water, etc. So, I don't think the outlet in the photo is for connecting to shore power.

I'll look into testing the outlet. Thought someone might know the setup of this power converter and what it's typically used for.

I should probably list the other components that manage the charging from solar panels and inversion, but I'll need to go look and write them down.

Gary M.
2000 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 30H
Workhorse Chassis
gmrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:24 PM   #4

CONVERTER...
AC Power IN-------DC Power OUT
Supplies RV DC Dist System (DC Fuse Panel) AND can charge battery when AC Power is available

INVERTER.....
DC Power IN------AC Power OUT
Supplies RV AC System using DC from batteries (which then need to be charged and voltage maintained)

Your PD9145 Converter is capable of suppling 45A of DC Load
The RED wire is POS cable from Battery
The BLACK wire is NEG Cable from Battery
The TWO 30A auto blade fuses on converter are the Reverse Polarity Fuses --blow if battery cables are connected backwards....they protect the converter electronics

AC power comes down from roof to that outlet and then appears to loop back out bottom and back up thru roof....outlet is 'daisy chained' in an AC Circuit

Converter is connected to your batteries and there should be AC Power at that outlet to plug converter into.
You can plug it in.leave it plugged in and then whenever AC Power is available the PD9145 will supply DC to RV PLUS charge/.maintain batteries
NO AC Available........the PD9145 will do NOTHING

9100 Series Manual
https://progressivedyn.com/pdfs/109205n%20english.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:16 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Gary-

Are you the original owner of the coach? If not, it's age allows that prior owners may have modified the charging system.

It is likely your coach came with that converter and no inverter or solar panels. If a prior owner installed an inverter/charger, then probably he disconnected (i.e., pulled the plug on) the converter, as an inverter and converter are not supposed to be active at the same time. He left the converter in place, in case the inverter/charger went kaput.

Here are some resources for you:

The 12 Volt Side of Life - Part 1
The 12 Volt Side of Life - Part 2
"Waiter21's" Web site for his 1999 Southwind

As the coach's charging system is working well, you don't need to change anything. You can investigate some, though, so you are prepared should the system or its components fail.

One last suggestion: You may want to plug the hole around that ceiling outlet (the one that looks added-on). Critters and cold have a way of finding holes like that.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:24 AM   #6

I'm wondering if that outlet, near the converter/charger is powered by the inverter.

If that's the case, while dry camping, it would need to be unplugged, otherwise the inverter will power it, attempting to charge the batteries with the batteries. We all know that can't work. Better minds have tried.

If your solar array is large enough to keep your batteries charged, you can leave that converter/charger unplugged.

You may also have an inverter/charger installed that handles the battery charging and that converter/charger isn't needed at all. In that case leave it unplugged.

Here is a test for you, get anything that runs on 120 volts and plug it into that outlet, small lamp, radio, fan, trouble light....
Now turn off or unplug shore power. If the plugged in thing stays on, the inverter is powering it. Leave it unplugged.

See if you can find your inverter and post its brand name and model. That can clear up the issue.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:07 AM   #7

Seams to be a factory install per all the other wiring in that Picture. That is an RV single outlet so It possibly is not on a GFI circuit. Find out where the power comes from. Inverter of breaker box? The ceiling is factory required GFI outlet judging from the piss poor installation. WP cover was not required per code. See if it is on a GFI circuit. If not the it was not factory.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:30 AM   #8

My guess is that you may have an on board charger/inverter .
Such as a magnum Ms series or something from another company.
My factory charger is also unplugged so if my magnum stopped charging I simply plug it back in.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, power