Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2005, 08:01 PM   #15

......I think one of the things that drives down the price of a used unite is that the furnishings look dated.....with a little design effort one could update instead of trade up......geof kaye
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2005, 03:19 AM   #16

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Sierra,
I'm not sure if there are different quality day night shades, but our's do let in light. You can't see in or out but you do get some light bleed. As I said, I like it really dark in the bedroom. I also cover the vent opening.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #17

Lynnvt:

Our light colored day/nite shades also lets light in this is how we solved the problem.
we purchased a product called pleleather it feels and looks like leather on one side, cloth on the other, it is very soft. we chose black. Cut the material to fit larger than the window size. We hung this by looping small wire ties throught the material about 4 in apart. Wire is run across the top of the window between the window and the pull down shades. It is attached just above the window frame I used wire fishing leader 80 lbs test) Small velcro strips were installed in the four corners with the curtain pulled flat to each tab.
The pleleather can be pushed to one side and only takes up 4" of space. Having to take down the valances to install and finish the job took about 4 hrs for 7 windows. I used wire ties instead of curtains rings so the material would hold close to the wire against the area above the window also rings would slide to freely while traveling. Don't cut curtain too short so you can fit it flush against the wall below the window frame. NO SEWING.......
Pleleather is available at the "RAG SHOP".
With the lights on in the M/H you can not see any light thur the curtains, and can pull your regular day/nite shades down over the curtains and it's a huge differance in the heat/cold air thur the windows.
We have use the curtains for three years now and I would put them on any other rig I get.
Worked great for us.
Neil & Ronnie

2000 JIMMY 4X4 (toad)
Neil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:32 PM   #18
TJM

I agree about Winnebagos having not-to-my-taste bedspreads, etc. I too took the spread & shams off, stored them in those 'space bags' & took them home to save for when the motorhome is some day sold. I too bought a quilt that can be laundered & that coordinates with the color of the carpet. The nice thing about quilts is that they look homey & don't necessarily have to perfectly match the window treatments. I have, however, found that 3M picture hooks work great for hanging pictures without driving nails. I then use some of that museum putty stuff on the lower corners to keep them from swinging or jarring off the hooks. I took down the picture that Winnebago put in the bathroom & attached their heavyduty hanger to the back of a big colorful picture from home that I like. (Flamingos!) Things like countertop fingertip towel holders, a fancy toothbrush holder & even a small stained glass table light are held in place using the museum putty. Everything still sticks even after the heat of Iowa summers & through long cold winters of Iowa storage. To add more personal touchs, I spread a nice afghan on the couch with a matching pillow. Our motorhome is our home away from home & I like to have it reflect more of our taste than some wacky interior designer's. Also, I don't know if you go to Winnebago's Grand National Rally or not. I managed to get a partial roll of the material used on our chairs there last year for only $5. Am in the process of using some of it to make a couple more pillows for the living room.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:21 PM   #19

UPDATE: Hi. After spending our first winter Snowbirding, I came home and unpacked the roll of fabric I ordered from Winnie back in the fall. Was going to replace the window valances, etc. with living room fabric.

The fabric shipped to me is the wrong print. Ah bless their little pea pickin hearts at Winn. I may just get my $260.90 back and buy something at the quilting shop.

I am still searching for replacements for the day/night shades....so cheeeeeeesy and broken strings already!
KathiE-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:38 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, I guess you will let a male type person but in here... I have to agree that some of the "designers" that the RV industry must have been trained by my dear old granny. I think every RV we have owned, my wife...using me for the grunt labor...has redecorated at least one area in the RV. Our current 5er got a bedroom redo as the floral print in there was hidious at best. Found a bed-in-a-bag that looked good and bought some additional material to go with it and bang, instant redo.

Well, now to get un-intouch with my femine side...have a nice day ladies.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:28 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'am sorry ladies I didn't realize this post was off limits to us gents. My previous post I thought I could give your hubbys some ideas to make you lady folk happy. As to those day/nite shades run a wax candle up an down the strings a few times, will help shade slide easier. OK I'am out of here. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:33 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
007 and TxIceman -

Gents and your ideas/labor are always welcome on the ladies thread -after all you are with us in the RV's, you might as well be involved with day-to-day planning for upgrades as well!

Lots of good suggestions on this thread. I'm personally glad to hear that I'm not the only one who struggles with ..."to nail or not to nail".

Our RV is an extension of our home and is reflected by the THINGS I can't live without! Photos, decos and accents are important to us ladies...the trick is figuring out how to do display it all without damaging the rig.

Sandy

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:23 AM   #23

When I was in my trailer with the manufacturer rep, I asked him who picked out the interior fabrics. He proudly pointed out that they hired designers for that. I asked him why, in a 21 foot trailer, they felt the need for two patterns that DIDN'T MATCH!! He was dumbfounded as I pointed out that the material on the bed didn't even coordinate with the material in the rest of the unit.

Then I pointed out all the beautiful woodwork in the camper. He was happy again. Until I pointed out the plastic doored medicine cabinet in the the bathroom above the beautiful wood vanity. He then told me that if we purchased this camper, he would provide a new medicine cabinet.

Which is at the dealer, waiting for me to pick it up.....

I don't like the bedspread either - it just slides off the bed. I made one from fleece that will wash like a dream!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:22 PM   #24

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I love this topic. It comes back every once in awhile when somebody new comes on. I wish we could send this whole thread to all the manufacturers to let them know how we think. I also think it's funny that we take the stiff bedspread off the bed BUT we save it to put it back on when we sell the rig.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:50 PM   #25

I'm a seamstress by hobby/heart and have redone every camper I've owned, be it pop-up or TT. It's just something about scratchy stiff material, no matter how neutral it is, that drives me mad when I'm in shorts. Makes me itchy thinking about it.

I'm truly convinced that MH manufacturers either take a poll (of the same 4 people) who have very bad taste in design OR they don't care and buy bulk whatever is available and know they can charge top dollar since it's in their MH. I suppose like any other industry, if people give them their feedback directly, they may start listening. Then again, we're still buying so no motivation to change it. Maybe if we squawk enough at the dealers and negotiate lower prices based on the fact we have to re-do it, they'll start telling the manufacturers to change their ways. ?? maybe?? okay, wishful thinking but it's all we have.

Bottom line, manufacturers need to consider changing out the same 4 people they run this stuff by during their market research, hire new designers because these same people have cornered that job too long and need to retire and ... go camping. OR they just don't care and buy in bulk whatever is cheapest, yet somewhat a reasonable sell. I'd say it's the latter.

Pam

1987 daughter, 1990 son, 2000 son, 2002 dog
sodapop777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:43 AM   #26

When we bought our RV home, a "Deluxe spread and shams" was an option. I said no thanks. I took down the curtains and replaced them with beige cotton ones I made. I have 4 quilts that I change seasonally and the beige goes with each one. I then made valances and tie backs in the colors of the quilts, which I change when I change the quilts. Gives me a different look each time.
My biggest peeve with this RV - Antique satin curtains. Don't like the color and definately don't like the fabric. I'm planning to make all new curtains in a washable fabric and lighter color.

2001 40' Travel Supreme 5er with triple slides -Fulltime with Missy and Ming (Furbabies)
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:29 PM   #27

I'm mostly finished redoing the interior of ours, purchased new this year with an absolute hideous decor. I've yet to start the bedroom, but the rest of it is close to being finished. Lots of pic's on our website, link in signature.

Everything from slipcovers, new valance covers, curtains, I even quilted matching doggie beds for the crates, LOL
Old 07-28-2005, 04:16 AM   #28

We've been HOT weather camping recently, and even with the AC going, the RV stays warm. I like to sleep with something over me, but quilts, etc are too hot. I found a lightweight microfiber sheet on sale and am using it as a bedspread. It works great combined with the regular bedsheet. The microfiber sheet was very economical - I bought it at a discount store, and the color goes well with the 'decor' of the RV.
Annie K. and Sparky the long-haired chihuahua
03 Journey DL 36LD
04 Saturn L300W
Brake Buddy
Doggievet is offline   Reply With Quote