Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2005, 04:18 AM   #29

Texas Boomers Club
Hi Ladies....and a couple of gents!

I'm catching up on my reading and I think we're all in the same boat! 99% of the time, the decor in an RV is hideous! We are seeing some "upgrading" of interior design, but mostly on the top dollar rigs. If one has their RV custom built, we have a choice, but when it's bought off the lot, we go with what they slap on the plate to serve up to us!!!

THERE IS SOMETHING WE CAN DO! But it can't be just one or two people making all the racket. We have access, via the internet, to all the major manufacturers. If they were flooded with emails and letters that we want CHANGE - maybe that will bring about something.

I know for a fact that these mfg's do buy huge amounts of fabric at a bargain cost. We bought our RV last August. Thankfully I do like the interior colors/fabrics/designs, but called the mfg to find out how to purchase a second bedspread to keep on hand. Within months of the purchase, they had already sold out all their stock of that particular fabric and couldn't re-order!

Let's keep this thread going - surely someone, somewhere...OUT THERE needs to know!

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2005, 06:01 AM   #30

Contacted our 5er manufacturer about a circuit breaker and got the following in reply:
"You are the eyes and ears in the field so to speak. Your comments, both positive and negative are welcome as they will help Keystone build more practical, reliable, and user Friendly products."
Seems to me their statement would apply to anything to do with RVing.

We just removed the RV sofa and replaced it with two recliners because chairs weren't an option. Flushed with success, I believe I'll offer my decorating advice to Keystone, since they are one of the mid-range manufacturers and I know I could do a better job than the person(s) they are paying!!!
Sallys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:36 PM   #31

I have a question for a friend. They have the day/night shades and with the humidity and change in temps, they have molded some on the side near the window. Has anyone ever washed these or do you even clean them.... need help. Besides I would like to know for us also.

Thanks
Peggy
Old 08-22-2005, 02:47 PM   #32

I'm a bit late to this subject but thought some of you might enjoy our rig modifications. First, I had one of those sofas that has a round section at one end sticking out into the aisle. Ripped that puppy right out and kept just the sleeper part of the sofa. Installed end tables on each side, one is a Magic Table, fabulous. Then I found a fabric warehouse that carried Ultraleather for a reasonable price and re-covered the sofa with it, I did that myself, not too hard at all. Our next project was to replace the two captain's chairs so we stopped at place in Elkhardt, IN, to find out they run from $1300 - 1800. No dice. So, I had someone reupholster the two chairs with the remaining ultraleather for $700. I took down the tired-looking window treatments and re-covered them in a new color scheme (cream and blue)... they were very easy to do. Hubby ripped out the carpet and installed laminate flooring. The living room of our 8-year-old rig looks fantastic now.

Then a good RVing friend stopped by to visit... she and I do lots of crafts together. Well, we blew a gasket with this next idea!! We are fulltimers and rarely use the dinette. We often just pilled stuff on it. So, we took the darn thing down and replaced it with a table twice as big going perpendicular to the original dinette table. My husband cut down the benches such that I was able to stack small wooden drawers (from Ikea) on the smaller bench and rest the new table top on them. To make a long story short, the table is now about two and half times as big, I can sew on it, I can paint, do paper crafts, whatever! Most importantly, just like my craft room in my stick house, I don't have to put it away everyday.

I can't tell you what a difference this has made in my ability to spend time on hobbies. I am literally one happy camper!!!
consuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
The valances in my RV were literally made out of paper - so I tossed them and I'm looking at shades and cloth valances/curtains. When I started tearing the fabric off they just fell apart. Got this TV installed in the corner of the "dinette" area though and cannot figure out how I'm going to get behind that without taking the TV out . . . which I'm going to do anyway and put in a flat screen but not ready for that right now . . . ugh!!
Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #34

We're lucky that our valances are very neutral so I can use most any color with no problem. Still I did toss the bedspread and throw pillows that came with the coach because they had to be drycleaned. HEY was someone smoking crack when they came up with that idea? I use light weight quilts and then match the towels and throw rugs to it. When I feel the "need" to redecorate I box it all up and send to our daughter who either uses the stuff or passes it all out at church.

All the stuff hanging on the walls is help up with ouble sided sticky tape and so far has remained hanging with no mishaps. We live in our rig so the walls are exposed to heat and cold as well as bumping down the road.

I changed all the drawer pulls because Winnebago chose to have ones that had points on the ends that were always getting hung up in my pockets and tearing them. I bought the pulls at the now defunct SURPLUS STORE for a $1 each. OH how I'm gonna miss that place.

In the livingroom/kitchen area throw rugs and kitchen towels help make it homier also. I guess basically I pretend that this is a small apartment and just go from there with what I want to do.

I guess what I miss the most is being able to re-arrange the furniture I loved moving stuff around in our stick house. I guess now I have to be satisfied with changing locations so the view out the windows is different.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #35

Savannah - I changed the pulls in my rig too - from that cheap looking gold to hammered bronze. I've also repainted all the light fixtures a hammered bronze - goes nicely with the new dark hardwood type flooring. I'm holding out on the bedspread . . . but I found the wallpaper for the bedroom. Now I just have to get serious about finding the bedspread and curtains.

So double sticky tape holds framed prints on the walls? I was going to get the velcro stuff - I have wallpaper to repair where I have to tear them off when I move out of the rig . . . if I ever move out of the rig!!

I should have taken before and after photos of it - I can't believe I didn't - I always do that. But everything is a major improvement so far. I'd love to be able to move the TV - not so much the furniture!!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #36

I changed all 48 of my brass cabinet pulls to the 6 inch brushed steel bar type pulls that are 1/2 inch diameter. I then got the Rustoleum hammered mettalic silver finish and painted the three wall sconces, the brass light switch plates, the bathroom light bar above the sink, the brass towel rods on the bathroom door, the brass towel holder, and I painted the brass/wood railing they use on the front of the open shelves to keep stuff from falling out.

Yesterday I replaced all 7 brass directional reading lights with basically the same light except in a satin nickel finish. The factory wall clock brass face was painted also.

I have 12 side window valence things and I have recovered 10 of them in a tannish color of imitation suede fabric. I am taking out the two double bulb light fixtures and replacing them with the thin lite fluorescent lights that put out a lot more light for about the same energy.

I replaced the brass shower valve/handle with a chrome one and the brass bathroom faucet will be removed tomorrow when I get my new Price Pfister Catalina pullout model.

I only have the cabinet hinges to paint, if I decide to do that, two more light switch plates, and the built in shower is still brass. I am not sure what to do with that yet.

There is a slip cover on its way to cover the muted blue couch design.
livingaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:18 AM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
livingabroad--that shower surround has me stumped also. I have a can of metalic paint and a brush. Now all I need is the courage to do it. For now I have a pretty curtain that covers it. Let me know what you decide...........Betty
gloriebkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #38

That shower has been throwing me for a loop as well. I thought about just removing it permanently. I took the hammered spray paint that I used on the pulls and sprayed some in a jar and experimented with painting it on. You CAN take it apart, spray the parts and put it back together. I'm putting up a shower curtain to block the shower since it's so ugly with all that gold that isn't matching anything else anyway. I'm also removing the doorknobs and spraying them. Got to figure out what to do with the light switches - they're brown plastic wrapped around a flat gold cover . . . can't separate them.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #39

I don't know if I would bother painting the actual door knobs. I only have one door knob that goes into my bathroom and I replaced it with a satin finish knob with lock. It was a brass lever.

I wouldn't think the paint would hold up.

I might take my shower apart also. The only hassle would be that it has to be resealed. I saw the hammered finish metallic paint in the can at the store. I might brush it on.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #40

I have a fan switch in the bathroom that is brown plastic with a gold metal plate. Mine does seperate and I painted both the silver metallic. It is much better than it was
Old 10-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hey everyone! I finally found the thread about decorating the RVs that come with all that dated fabric and gold-colored (brass???) everything! I did find out that Winnebago still has parts to everything that you can order, like those shower trim pieces. I don't know if it's worth the expense. Oil rubbed bronze hardware would at least to with it, if you had to keep some of it.

We are still looking to buy our first MH and looking at an '05 Winnebago Journey 39K I think it is. I assume we can trust Winnebago, and I'll let my DH (LOL - learning the lingo) worry about whether it will run. I just want to decorate, nest and get away with our doggies, now that we are empty-nesters!

I'd love to hear more decorating ideas and how-tos!
Weimaraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #42

The first thing I did when we purchased Moby was remove the ghastly bedspread, shams, and matching valance in the bedroom. I replaced it with a showpeice hand made quilt, and coordinated new shams and the new valance to the quilt - I found a nice "home" valance on clearance, the hemmed it to fit. The bedroom doesn't match the rest of the "decor" in the RV, (light tan, blue and green), but it does work well with the carpet, and the bedroom is separate enough that it is not an issue. I did store the originals, though. I also ditched the really uncomfortable accent pillows with comfortable ones in a bolder tone.

It makes Moby feel more like home.

I think the "decorators" are trying to be as neutral as possible, which generally means as uninspiring as possible, so as not to offend anyone, thereby offending everyone.

Mrs. M