Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2022, 03:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
The good neighbor plan is to run a generator as little as possible and as quietly as possible.
+1 on the good neighbor plan.

We set our AGS (automatic generator start) to start the generator on low battery or A/C demand, regardless if we are connected to shore power or not. AGS will start the generator if batteries go below X volts, or if an air conditioner wants to come on.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2022, 03:12 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I think generator etiquette is to use it as little as practical during the permitted hours and never during quiet time. Where possible, avoid running the genset early in the morning or late at night, even though allowed. Some of your neighbors will keep different hours than you do and will appreciate extended quiet times.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:20 PM   #17

I truly appreciate respect to other campers but can’t help asking, if you’re in a campground why aren’t you hooked to shore power.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse6 View Post
I truly appreciate respect to other campers but can’t help asking, if you’re in a campground why aren’t you hooked to shore power.
Many campgrounds I visit do not have any services other than a dump station. Running the A/C or the microwave requires a generator. I'm good for about 4 days on battery.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:36 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
We stay in lots of places without power including NPS, NFS, and BLM campgrounds. While we have solar, it isn’t always enough to cover our power needs especially on the short days of winter. Feel free to use your generator as you need it during generator hours (which vary with the site). It is polite to position it as far away from tent campers as possible (carbon monoxide and noise). As long as you do it when you need to and don’t abuse the quiet times, complaints can pound sand. It is kind of like being in an apartment; when other people are around, you will hear noise. Hopefully not enough to rattle pictures off the walls, and hopefully they don’t abuse the situation, but there will be noise. Just use it as little as practical to be kind.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:07 PM   #20

You could also consider a pour over coffee system and use tea kettle on stove to push your start time later. I just have large #6 cone filter that goes on my own carafe.
https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Therm...s%2C55&sr=8-83
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:21 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

"Etiquette" is a generally accepted guide to polite behavior that is considerate of others. It does not mean exploiting the actual rules to the legal limits. You will be required to obey certain campground rules but doing so does not mean you are using good etiquette. Good etiquette is voluntary behavior in which you limit yourself to avoid impacting others.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:28 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with follow the rules AND run a little as needed. Try to avoid the edges of the window when you can.

Many of the RV campgrounds we stay at have power. And generators are not allowed at all.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:43 AM   #23

It is so considerate of you to even ask. Run your generator when you need to, so long as it is within park rules. I’d welcome the drone of a generator over other peoples music, barking dogs, or loud parties!
Old 06-07-2022, 12:46 PM   #24

Two brownie points for even asking.

This question has two broad answers, a technical answer, and a more emotional answer.

The technical: If you follow campground rules, you are good to go.

The emotional: If you end up spending any amount of time on these forums you'll see complaints about fellow campers for all kinds of annoying behavior. Unless you are boondocking, RVing puts a bunch of complete strangers into close proximity to each other. Each camper is there for different reasons. Some to party and have fun, others for peace in the great outdoors. Each has varying tolerance for whatever annoys them. Noise is a common complaint, be it barking dogs, loud music, loud late night parties, kids yelling, and yes, generators. In other words, you can be following all the rules and still piss off your neighbor. For this second answer there's no way to be sure you'll get it right all the time. Some campers hate generators period, hours or no hours, others no big deal.

I follow park rules on generator use, but have a tendency to delay my morning use a little. We have a residential refrigerator, and while I have solar, there are times like in the winter, or in cloudy weather, where it's important to me to top off my batteries as late as possible so we are good overnight. To some who may go to bed early this may be annoying. As mentioned above, a Genturi does quiet down the exhaust noise. I'll also use it if site spacing is tight, or my generator exhaust points right at another site especially if they are tenters.

The fact that you ask means you have the desire to be a good neighbor. That's a plus in my book. I wish more people worried about being a good neighbor.

While it probably goes without saying, installing some solar can really reduce the need for generators. In good conditions, my solar takes care of charging my batteries without making a sound. That's the up side. The down side is solar ain't cheap, and obviously requires sunshine. There are times I must use my generator.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 01:20 PM   #25

A lot depends on the Generator and where it is.

I've seen portable Hondas that you can barely hear and loud Champion's that would put a rock concert to shame.

The Onan Quiet Diesel in my DP is like white noise for me and many i've camped close to. Audible but not obnoxious. Heck, I think my wife snores louder! No way to enforce quiet hours on someone who refuses a CPAP.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:48 AM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just apply common sense! If the rules allow, use as necessary and then shut it down. Our big diesel is quiet, but it does produce some odor. We use it sparingly, relying on some solar.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
You could also consider a pour over coffee system and use tea kettle on stove to push your start time later. I just have large #6 cone filter that goes on my own carafe.
https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Therm...s%2C55&sr=8-83
I just bought one for the RV, I have need of coffee when I first wake up and even if we are at FlyingJ, I hate the sound of the generator. The next purchase before our road trip in the fall is a battery operated water pik for DH.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
I am a newbie. I have a TT and an inverter genset. Even though i always obey park quiet time, I don't want to be rude.
I usually run my genset a couple hours before I go to bed to charge my batteries for my heater blower fan and to watch a little TV. I make sure to shut it down according to park rules...always before 11pm and often earlier. Then I start it again around 830 am to again charge my batteries from the night and make coffee. Run it about an hour. Again.. within Park rules.
Nobody has said anything to me and I usually even give my neighbors a heads up on why I am running genset.
Does this seem ok to you? Would you be bothered? I don't want to be one of "those campers"...
Sounds to me like you are being considerate of others. I don't think I would complain if you camped near me.

-IndyJim

Tags
inverter