Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2022, 10:50 AM   #71

I've yet to use my genset camping. I keep the RV at home and hooked up. One night the power went out in the neighborhood and my wife starting freaking out over not having her phone charged and etc. I ushered her out to the coach and in a couple of minutes we had TV, AC, refrigerator, etc.

But I went out to check on a few things in the dark. Came back and told her I hope we don't have any visitors because even if they don't see the lights I think every neighbor within half a mile knows we have a generator running just by the sound. I run it regularly to exercise it but that's during the day. No louder than a lawn mower. At night during a power outage it seemed so loud I was a bit embarrassed by the noise. I can only imagine how it would sound on an otherwise quiet morning out in the woods. Although it works fine and I don't really use it I've been looking at low decibel rated portable inverter generators anyway. So if I need to use one in situations where the noise might be offensive at least I can try and be fairly quiet about it.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2022, 12:14 PM   #72

For power outages at home, generator noise can be excused. I have a small Honda that I use for short outages, and I have hooked up my neighbors as well. My fridge probably uses 250 watts (peak, much less on average) and a few lights so maybe another 50. So even three houses can get by with a Honda 2000i if you have enough gas.

But if it is a long term outage then I will use the MH generator since I have 35 gallons of fuel readily available. The MH generator is much noisier than the Honda but I hope my neighbors understand.

And FWIW we had a very local outage affecting three houses on our block (the buss feeding our transformer shorted). The power company brought out a large generator to keep our power up while they shipped in the needed parts. That one was twice as loud as our RV generator, so.....

But like I said originally and Souljourner eloquently amplified on, RV camping in the woods is a special experience, not to be impaired by a noisy generator if possible.

Davd
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:54 AM   #73

I guess my definition of camping in the woods may vary from quite a few others.

I can understand enjoying nature and savoring the silence. There are campgrounds and boodocking that certainly afford that.

But many are about as nature filled and quiet as the backyards I have enjoyed in suburbia. Between other campers and outside noise..... not so quiet that a medium loud genset, unless just feet between campers is really going to "ruin the magical moments".

Yes I rarely run mine, manage batteries have decent solar, love deep woods serenity....but I am also practical when near civilization. I don't want to sound like those that buy inexpensive homes near airports then complain about the noise.
Psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:27 PM   #74

Spartan Chassis
etiquette is subjective

Rules are rules, etiquette is very subjected. It seems like, if something bothers someone else, that person immediately says that it's wrong. Not so. I personally don't think someone running their generator during allowable hrs is wrong. I have an all electric RV. I can cook over a fire but then there will be people who complain about the smoke, even when there are fire rings. In my 69 years on this planet, I have realized that there will always be someone complianing. So, I comply with the published rules and ignore the complainers.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:23 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
Rules are rules, etiquette is very subjected. It seems like, if something bothers someone else, that person immediately says that it's wrong. Not so. I personally don't think someone running their generator during allowable hrs is wrong. I have an all electric RV. I can cook over a fire but then there will be people who complain about the smoke, even when there are fire rings. In my 69 years on this planet, I have realized that there will always be someone complianing. So, I comply with the published rules and ignore the complainers.
What you are saying is "live and let live" as long as you are playing by the rules.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:11 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridge Defend View Post
Did any one read my comments above?

Or is this about character assassination, such as mentioned above?

It is really inappropriate to make the comments made in this post:

"meeting there health insurance deductible"
I have read all of your posts in this thread. Your original post got the exact responses warranted by what you typed at that time. As a person who is represented what I am guessing is YOUR business in a forum where a good portion of the population are potential customers I would think you would self moderate your posts a bit better.

It does not really matter that the RV in question was a dealer unit. Messing with someone elses property and then publicly posting about it should get a negative response from this community. The fact that you didn't do it but wanted to look cool in front of the class by claiming you did it tells me a lot about who you are.

I would implement a social media policy for your company and then follow it closely. The things we say online live forever.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:05 PM   #77

Just go by the campground's rules and don't try to sneak some extra hours in. As campground hosts we had to knock on quite a number of doors to ask them to turn off the generator after hours.

National parks typically have a couple hours of generator time in the morning and another couple hours around dinner time which is sufficient.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:56 PM   #78

Generator Exhaust

My new fiver does not have an on-boardgenerator. I have one that I carry in my truck just in case. I've seen other RVers use pvc pipe to move the exhaust sound as a way for additional muffling. Question: Is it viable?
Klieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:13 PM   #79

Great advice above..I would certainly consider solar. They make 12v TVs two lithium batteries and 2 solar panels 350 watts or more
The only thing you would need your Genset
Is microwave and air conditioner. Easily goes all night and recharges in the day. It works 4 me.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:22 AM   #80
laj

Run it when noise restrictions off, and don’t use a contractors your good to go. Always someone to complain about something. When your in a cg everyone knows what the rules are, and what to expect.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:47 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Run it when noise restrictions off, and don’t use a contractors your good to go. Always someone to complain about something. When your in a cg everyone knows what the rules are, and what to expect.
lol,not trying to be a dick,but everyone knows what the rules are,and there's always a few who don't think those rules apply to them for whatever reason.one guy breaks them then another, because that guy's doing it.....
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:38 AM   #82
laj

funny how that is.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:50 PM   #83

It could be worse

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Old 09-21-2022, 07:24 AM   #84

Just revisited this thread and want to be clear - I didn't, nor would I, touch anyone's property.

The situation I described involved a constant stream of exhaust and CO from a ground-level exhaust pipe, pointed directly at and entering directly into a soft-sided popup camper, tightly packed in a row, no more than six or eight feet distant.

This was not only a major inconvenience to my friends, making their unit uninhabitable, but also a safety hazard. The owners of it were rude and uncooperative, disregarding the very real hazard.

I simply passed on some info that may or may not have helped prevent my friends from being in a dangerous situation.

Tags
inverter