Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2022, 05:50 AM   #57

I do my best to be courteous when running my generator and have never had an issue but if I did offend anyone I would not expect them to touch my generator in any way. Talk to me and I will rectify the situation but don't touch my property. The outcome might not be favorable to someone playing with something which belongs to me. Hands off.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2022, 09:03 AM   #58

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometimes when it's 95 degrees and the wind is blowing in the direction of your rig, with your neighbor who's three feet from you trying to burn a cord of wood, while running the jenny for AC power rather than the electrical hookup, dogging 12 year olds in golf carts and more dogs than people things can get a little trying...
Ya just gotta make the best of it.
Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:43 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergawd View Post
Funny thing - it seemed to do so each time the uncourteous neighbors left their rig...
While comical this can also lead to one meeting there health insurance deductible. Don’t mess with peoples stuff it never ends well.
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:58 AM   #60

There is another way

If you really want to stop all the whimpering and crying over running a generator you might want to invest in one of these:
https://www.earthtechproducts.com/ye..._campaign=broi
Old 06-18-2022, 07:22 AM   #61

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Inappropriate Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
While comical this can also lead to one meeting there health insurance deductible. Don’t mess with peoples stuff it never ends well.
Did any one read my comments above?

Or is this about character assassination, such as mentioned above?

It is really inappropriate to make the comments made in this post:

"meeting there health insurance deductible"
Old 06-18-2022, 07:29 AM   #62

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
I hear ya.
My genset hours are typically anytime between 10am-10pm.
It totally depends on the situation...
At the racetrack all bets are off.
At a quiet lakeside spot, 10-10 for sure.
EXACTLY..... no such thing as "Quiet Time" at NASCAR
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:51 AM   #63

I landed on this forum in search of solutions and found myself extraordinarily impressed by the wealth of good information. That is because a lot of experienced people find it interesting and gratifying to spend time here listening and sharing. That only happens when everyone feels supported. It is very easy to misconstrue and be misconstrued on a platform like this. I spend a lot of time on Sonerai.com, an experimental aircraft building forum. People there seem very careful to correct the facts, not the speaker. That principle keeps the discussion pleasant and constructive. Just my two cents.
ChuckerF14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:01 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
If you really want to stop all the whimpering and crying over running a generator you might want to invest in one of these:

https://www.earthtechproducts.com/ye..._campaign=broi

Or instead of buying that setup for the generator running person (I’m sure they’d accept your gift) buy these for yourself if a generator is bothering you:

https://goaxil.com/products/extreme-edge

You’ll save money too!
Old 06-18-2022, 03:27 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridge Defend View Post

So it’s inappropriate to suggest messing with someone’s stuff can lead to a physical altercation? I assume your a sponsor, you should know better. [emoji1782]
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 03:35 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridge Defend View Post

So is telling someone to rethink their ethics and safety concerns.

Forums rarely divulge a persons total personality.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:03 PM   #67

I am late to this discussion, and I confess that I haven't read every post in this thread, but here are my views:

Generators, particularly in State, NP, USFs, etc campgrounds are abhorrent to me, but some need them to do what they do so here is how I recommend they be used.

Don't run the generator until 11:00 PM to watch TV. If you have to watch TV, hook up an inverter with sufficient battery capacity to do it. Also don't start your generator to make coffee in the morning as soon as it is allowed. Morning to me is a mystical time while camping and I want it to be quiet. A stove heated percolator pot works fine for me.

Only run your generator in the middle of the day when most campers are out sightseeing, hiking, boating, swimming etc. and won't know or care what you do.

In other words, I believe that generators should be run sparingly with maximum consideration of other campers.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:26 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While most of our camping is at State, NPS and CoE parks with electric, there are some times we dry camp. I purchased a Genturi years ago and it is excellent for keeping the noise level down and directing the CO over the roof. Just be sure you haven't any roof vents open!
We also have one of those collapsible silicone coffee cones and filters and I can make my morning coffee either on the range top or in good weather, on a Coleman camp stove on the picnic table.
I was once admonished by a neighbor at Mather campground at GCNP for running my generator during daytime allowable hours. He was polite about it but I basically told him I needed to charge batteries after a few days of use. His response was "get solar". We don't camp enough without an electric hookup to justify "getting solar". Maybe the next rig.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:30 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckerF14 View Post
I landed on this forum in search of solutions and found myself extraordinarily impressed by the wealth of good information. That is because a lot of experienced people find it interesting and gratifying to spend time here listening and sharing. That only happens when everyone feels supported. It is very easy to misconstrue and be misconstrued on a platform like this. I spend a lot of time on Sonerai.com, an experimental aircraft building forum. People there seem very careful to correct the facts, not the speaker. That principle keeps the discussion pleasant and constructive. Just my two cents.
I surmise from your moniker that you were at one time Tomcat crew. Thank you for your bravery in enduring cat launches and night recoveries.

IMHO, for what it matters. If you observe CG rules for when you can run a generator, nobody should have a quarrel with you, and you’re to be commended for observing the rules. However, if you don’t want any noise at all, there are inexpensive ways to enjoy camping without running a generator every day. Many people can do it, but unfortunately, many don’t try because it’s easier to fire up the generator. Energy conservation, a bit of solar, a bigger battery, and abandonment of big loads, especially ac loads, will create a quiet campground, and it’s by far more enjoyable. Use a French press, or a percolator, or a pour over to get that Java fix. Watch tv on a tablet. Run cpap off a power station. Turn off unneeded lights, even if they’re lcd.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:03 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I am late to this discussion, and I confess that I haven't read every post in this thread, but here are my views:

Generators, particularly in State, NP, USFs, etc campgrounds are abhorrent to me, but some need them to do what they do so here is how I recommend they be used.

Don't run the generator until 11:00 PM to watch TV. If you have to watch TV, hook up an inverter with sufficient battery capacity to do it. Also don't start your generator to make coffee in the morning as soon as it is allowed. Morning to me is a mystical time while camping and I want it to be quiet. A stove heated percolator pot works fine for me.

Only run your generator in the middle of the day when most campers are out sightseeing, hiking, boating, swimming etc. and won't know or care what you do.

In other words, I believe that generators should be run sparingly with maximum consideration of other campers.

David
My thoughts exactly - especially the comments about morning in the woods being a mystical and magical time. My kind of camping, and it’s the quiet that draws me to go, over and over again.

For me, part of the camping experience is to be mindful of my energy consumption and to make adjustments. It’s a nice change to use my French press, to not have bright lights shining throughout my RV, to watch movies I’ve downloaded onto my tablet before my trip, and to breathe in the freshness of the woods at night with the sound of crickets, rather than blasts of icy air and the drone of AC.

The OP has received lots of comments and lots of differing views, all valid viewpoints and respectful of differences while sharing preferences.

Since the OP’s original question was about etiquette and expressed a desire not to be “that person”, I’m wondering what conclusions the OP has come to as a result of these shares?
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter