Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2022, 10:09 AM   #1

Inverter genset etiquette?

I am a newbie. I have a TT and an inverter genset. Even though i always obey park quiet time, I don't want to be rude.
I usually run my genset a couple hours before I go to bed to charge my batteries for my heater blower fan and to watch a little TV. I make sure to shut it down according to park rules...always before 11pm and often earlier. Then I start it again around 830 am to again charge my batteries from the night and make coffee. Run it about an hour. Again.. within Park rules.
Nobody has said anything to me and I usually even give my neighbors a heads up on why I am running genset.
Does this seem ok to you? Would you be bothered? I don't want to be one of "those campers"...
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2022, 10:24 AM   #2

I think you're on the right track and are being very considerate. Another thing to consider is the sound a neighbor may here is highly dependent on the direction your exhaust is pointed. With a portable generator, this is easy to manage, with a built-in generator, not so much.

One option is to use a Gen-Turi, that channels your exhaust and sound upwards. I have one but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. It's good for multiple day stays since it does need to be put away before travel:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44461-G.../dp/B000BUU5XG

Here's a review by etrailer:

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-c...-cam44461.aspx

When you can get around to it, installing some solar panels will have an impact on your generator use. Also, conserving power will help. Your furnace is a huge power hog so minimizing its use will have a big impact.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:43 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
You are following proper generator etiquette. I try to put the portable generator in a spot that points away from everyone, chain it to a tree and use a long extension cord if possible. Never had a complaint yet.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:06 AM   #4

If you are following the camp ground quiet time rules you are doing just fine. I wouldn't worry about notifying people that you are going to run your genny if you are doing it during the allowed hours. Seems a bit like over kill.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointerman View Post
If you are following the camp ground quiet time rules you are doing just fine. I wouldn't worry about notifying people that you are going to run your genny if you are doing it during the allowed hours. Seems a bit like over kill.
just my opinion,but overkill is running a genny as soon as park rules allow because your battery has dipped below 75% every single morning.running a coffee machine or whatever for a couple mins. i can see,but charging your batteries for hours as soon as the sun comes up?.as you can probably guess,i really dislike the sound of gennys when i'm camping.when my neighbor fires one up i get in the boat and go fishing.
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds good to me, I wouldn't have a problem with it if I was camped next to you.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:36 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemifoot View Post
just my opinion,but overkill is running a genny as soon as park rules allow because your battery has dipped below 75% every single morning.running a coffee machine or whatever for a couple mins. i can see,but charging your batteries for hours as soon as the sun comes up?.as you can probably guess,i really dislike the sound of gennys when i'm camping.when my neighbor fires one up i get in the boat and go fishing.
I hear ya.
My genset hours are typically anytime between 10am-10pm.
It totally depends on the situation...
At the racetrack all bets are off.
At a quiet lakeside spot, 10-10 for sure.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:44 AM   #8

IF running gen is during NON-Quiet Times........go for it

Non-electric camp sites should expect gens
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:45 AM   #9

I prop up my 2 x 100W portable solar power panels at the end of the day pointing to the morning sun to charge up my batteries in the morning. So far have not had a complaint. :-) We use the generator only when we need to run something with a heavy power draw like the vacuum or microwave, or the sun is unavailable or insufficient for the day. Pretty rare. With the current cost of solar panels you might want to have a look. I personally go camping to get into nature and the sound of a generator does not add to the experience - even during the hours when running a generator is allowed. I am not going to complain but having a generator running whenever it is allowed is annoying, and these days not necessary IMHO.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:08 PM   #10

NPS (National Park Service) rules state that generators must produce sound at or less than 60 decibels at 50 feet.

Pick up a sound meter on Amazon, and measure the sound output from your generator at various points. It would be good to know your generator "sound profile" in case an issue comes up with a park manager or irritated neighbor.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
NPS (National Park Service) rules state that generators must produce sound at or less than 60 decibels at 50 feet.

Pick up a sound meter on Amazon, and measure the sound output from your generator at various points. It would be good to know your generator "sound profile" in case an issue comes up with a park manager or irritated neighbor.
Decibel X on your iPhone or Android is free. Pretty accurate for the price.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Does this seem ok to you? Would you be bothered? I don't want to be one of "those campers"...
If the park is good with it, I am too !
Old 06-06-2022, 02:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnold9999 View Post
Decibel X on your iPhone or Android is free. Pretty accurate for the price.
The smartphone apps are likely sufficient for this purpose, at least to determine which way to point the generator to achieve the least impact on the sound environment.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:17 PM   #14
PKI

Upgrade/minimize use/ask for site segregation

Slightly different perspective here. We once had one of the electric/water sites at a National Park. Made the reservation over eight months prior to get electric service so we did not have to run the generator.

The fourth day we were at the campground, an RV in a dry camp site fired up a generator and left for the day. That ruined our day.

The good neighbor plan is to run a generator as little as possible and as quietly as possible.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter