Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Inverter Install

I am installing a Xantrex Freedom Sw3000 Inverter/Charger on My Gulfstream Toy hauler that currently does not have one. I have a couple of Questions,
#1 From the Existing tranfer switch I will reroute feed to A/C panel to inverter A/c in., Then route A/C out from inverter to panel, is this ok or do i need to install seperate panel for circuits to invert or simply just not use certain appliances when dry camping as not to deplete batteries?

#2 I am using Lifeline Agm batteries, so no gassing ( I Think), If I build a somewhat enclosed cabinet ( open Top ) for my inverter can it be installed in same general location as batteries, where batteries are located there is no bottom to battery compartment, (also reason for encloded inverter cabinet ( open Top) ?

#3 Will the wiring to the existing house batterie for all 12v systems be able to attach as is to the new battery bank that will connected to the inverter? ( 4-6 volt AGM) wired in series-Paralell

I have Decided to go with the 3000 over the 2000 because they are physically the same size and the 3000 has a optional control panel that has superior features over the 2000 any thoughts on that?

This seemed pretty straight forward in the beginning, but the further I get into it the more questions I have.
Thanks in advance for all your help
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #2

Others, more competent than I, will be along to answer your questions but I do have a suggestion for you to consider. While you are going through all this give some thought to installing a bypass around your inverter. Easy to do now and if anything fails on your inverter you can still get shore or generator power to all your circuits. My inverter sends power to a sub panel and when it gets cranky I had no power to those sub panel circuits so I put in the bypass. Belts and suspenders.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry I can't help with your questions. You will probably get more answers by posting over in the RV Systems area. Good luck!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Researching the various types of installation take longer than the installation itself. The most important thing you will need to do is to discontinue use of the original battery charging circuit; be it a converter built into the distribution panel or a free standing one.
The answer to question #1 will depend mostly on the type of service the coach has. If it is 50 amp you will not be able to go this route and a sub panel will be dependent on the model of inverter. There are ways to install the inverter off of a designated circuit breaker in the distribution panel and then feed the branch circuits out of the inverter. What are you wanting to power?
We need to know how many in and out circuits the inverter has.
I am not sure if installing an inverter in the same cabinet with AGM batteries is OK; could be but, I suggest you ask the battery and inverter manufacturers this question.
For question #3 are you removing the prevoius batteries?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #5

The inverter generates copious, as in lots of, heat. Both when inverting and when charging. My 2800 Magnum practically heats the entire basement on a 45er to well above freezing when it's SUB-zero outside - so that's a lot of heat you'll need to deal with.

JMHO - Batteries (even AGM) and the inverter in the same tiny shared space just does not generate any level of good feelings.

The existing converter/charger will need to be pulled from the circuit as the inverter/charger will handle ALL those duties (and three stage charge to boot).

Item #1 has some potential logic faults - if I understand it correctly. You need to devise a strategy for wiring and design accordingly - as RVwizard suggests - but routing ALL AC into and then out from the inverter is probably not ideal. Things like HVAC, dryers, other high draw AC devices should not be wired to feed from the inverter as the inverter will limit all AC throughput to 3000 watts before it's breaker pops. High draw things are fed directly from the shore/gen feed lines feeding one sub-panel and and separate sub-panel feeds the other low-draw AC circuits from the inverter.

Inverting 3000watts is going to draw 300amps from the batteries (wire size/length is EXTREMELY critical) and a 2x2 6v battery arrangement won't last very long at all... All your battery interconnect wires will need to be upped to handle 300amps - and that isn't even close to Advance Auto type wires or terminal crimps.

I might suggest getting a little local design help on this before you start actually doing it...
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I think I understand what both of you, RV Wizard and ottffss are saying in both regards, here goes , I will take the existing charging circuit out of system it is a small plug in unit buried under sink, the charging system from alternater will be left in place. I am only looking to do basic things off of converter, evening Tv, and cable box, satelitte dish is 12 volt, if I use antenna it will need digital booster that runs off of 110 volt, anything else such as hair dryer microwave, would only be used in morning and I would run genny for that serving both the charging requirements and utilizing the added 110 volts, that why I was curious if I could just feed existing panel and just refrain from using all non TV equipment, also the space for battery and converter is is actually a large open bottom area ( not unlike a full pass thru with no bottom) that extends from d/side of coach to passenger side. The inverter /Charger would require about 4 FT. of cable and I will be using 4/O welding cable with crimped connectors and heat shrink at cable ends. The 2 existing 12v " house batteries" will be removed and replace with the new battery bank of 4 lifeline 6 volt batteries model # 6PL-6CT Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries
they are rated at 300 amp hrs.
I am putting this system in mostly for racetrack stays and short overnight stays on the way to somewhere else, I Still have to work and tend to leave after work on friday, drive as far as I can, and pullover for the night, I am trying to eliminate running the gennerator while winding down from the long day and irritating my neighbors at the usually tight racetrack settings. Is the 3000 watt limit on the inverter just for load being used when inverted to 110 volt or for all load, even when on shorepower, If it is for all power whether on shore or generator, than that will mean adding a sub panel or rerouting circuits as i have a 50 amp service....(2 A/C units)
As always thanks for all the help
Old 11-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
radams thanks for the good idea, I will most certainly do that, any info on what you used I have a fifty amp service, I was thinking some sort of a double pole single throw 50 amp switch, Square D make such a unit.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #8

I installed my own 2000w inverter/charger.
I took all loads from main breaker box except the A/C's, water heater and refer. Put all those loads in a sub panel. You are limited to probably 30 amps AC pass through the inverter. If you ever needed to run two 1500w heaters you couldn't do it. There was space available in the main breaker panel for another 20a breaker when I took all the others out. I installed another 20a breaker with an outlet, directly from the main breaker box, not going through the inverter to plug in another heater if it was needed.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
With a 50 amp coach, you cannot run 120/240 volts - 50 amps through the inverter. You will have to supply power from the distribution panel and power the desired "Inverted" circuits through the inverter. Does the inverter have one or two "IN" circuits. The "IN" circuit(s) will be powered from the distribution panel on single pole circuit breaker(s) and Identified as "Inverter". When the inverter is powered from shore or generator, the current is passed through the inverter's transfer switch and the charging of the battery bank is achieved at the same time the entertainment, kitchen and/or microwave circuits (what loads are chosen) are powered.
All other circuits are powered directly through the distribution panel only.. The two "OUT" circuits can back feed to the distribution panel and the entertainment equipment, kitchen and/or microwave receptacle circuits be removed from circuit breakers in the panel and connected to the "OUT" circuits of inverter directly or sub panel if more than two circuits are chosen.
Without shore or generator power and the inverter turned on, the "OUT" circuits are powered from the battery bank and the "IN" circuit is isolated and not back feeding the distribution panel because of the inverter's internal transfer switch.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, inverter