Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #1

inverter replacement, what to buy ?

my 2100 watt quasi sine inverter is acting up. i plan on installing app 600 watts of solar. want to boondock a lot. (if i need to replace mine). first question - sine or modified sine inverter ? second question - what brand (quality and cost efficent) are you happy with ?
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #2

My opinion, and only my opinion; for the overall costs involved versus your end results, I would just purchase a good quiet Honda Generator. Solar is enticing, but looking at what you can "really" depend on...........I wouldn't go solar unless I had a lot of money to use up. On a weekend with the generator, you might spend $30-$40 in fuel, and that comes out way better than the overall return on investment for solar.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sine, by all means SINE, not MSW.. I will explain.

For many years I thought that an MSW did a "More efficient" job of turning DC into AC.. Then I did research and found out that they both run within 1 percent of each other when running at peak effiency The Xantrex web site, (I compared two 2,000 watt inverters) listed the peak efficiency for MSW at 90, and for TSW at 89-90 percent.

Next...

With ALL inverters, no matter the type. if a device needs more power than the inverter can provide there will be no joy (It won't work).. But...

The Xantrex web site used to have a document that gave a list of things that might not work properly on MSW, it was a LONG list, included clocks, audio/video/television/radio gear, Microwaves, Electric blankets, Elecronic (Digital) Coffee pots and someone added night lights to that last here on the forum a while ago.. (LED type).

As I said it is a long list, they may work, proprely, or work, but differently, or not work at all, or .. Catch fire!!!!!.

True sine wave the list is much shorter.. In fact.. The list of things that might or might not work properly on a True sine wave inverter... Is a null list.

If it works on shore power, it works on a true sine (With the "All inverter" note at the beginning of this section).

And since my hobby is radio..... You should know that as a Ham Radio operator I'm used to talking to stations a thousand (or more) miles away where we are pushing perhaps 100 watts into the wire.. Think about this the next time you try to tune in a 5000 to 50,000 watt AM station that is perhaps 50 miles away.

We have very senistive receivers.

The Prosine (True sine wave) inverter in my RV.. Far as the radio is concerned, it's turned off full time, I do not hear it, I do not see it, (When running an audio signal analyzer (This computer) in digital mode) it's not there.

MSW. Would tear up the band from now to doomsday.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
My opinion, and only my opinion; for the overall costs involved versus your end results, I would just purchase a good quiet Honda Generator. Solar is enticing, but looking at what you can "really" depend on...........I wouldn't go solar unless I had a lot of money to use up. On a weekend with the generator, you might spend $30-$40 in fuel, and that comes out way better than the overall return on investment for solar.
After 3 or 4 yrs ones investment is neutral. Consider noise pollution and inconvenience of lugging fuel and a genny :0)
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #5

wa8yxm,
May I ask what wattage your inverter is? I too am a ham and going solar alittle at a time as I can afford it. I run a ft-847 I was into the birds before having to go full time. Now just wanna be able to do voice contacts from the boonies.
DE KD6VPE
okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
If you want to speak to some folks who have been doing alternative power sources for over 25 years, email, call, check out the site: homepower.com. Anytime I've emailed them a question, I've received hones,t reliable, fact-based information.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The only reason for using MSW instead of True (or pure) Sine is the dollar cost. TS used to be extremely expensive, but now the price has dropped substantially. Bottom line is "Buy the TS if you can afford the price difference".

Don't be too scared of the long list of "might not work" items - most things will be fine. The most likely failures seem to be electric blankets & heating pads and coffee makers. However, items that do not work on MSW are often destroyed by it. They typically have an internal melt down.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #8

When I switched to PSW some years back, the first things that I notices was that the Microwave cooked faster and even SOUNDED better. Also the Television produced less heat and I haven't lost another DVR since switching.

Also, IMHO, anybody advising using a generator over the quiet, and efficiency of solar, would push little ducks in the water. I paid somewhere around five bucks a watt for my solar bank, and the same is now closer to ONE dollar a watt, and will last a lifetime.

Ed
USN Ret.
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, replacement