Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #1

Inverters?

The inverter thing really has me confused and I don't seem to be able to get an solid answer. I just want to run a fairly small TV without the Gen'. For cooking or other things I will run the Generator.
1 For TV's do I need a Pure Sine wave or will a Modified do. Pure are almost twice the price . The only thing I want to run are the two TV's and not at same time.
2 I am looking at a 1000 watt which should be more than enough to run TV's under 34"
3 I do not want to wire the inverter into the whole electric system. I want come off the 2 6volt batteries and then run the AC wires to each of the TV's but do not plan on running them at same time.
4 Can the inverter be left on when I am plugged into shore power or running generator without unplugging the TV's and going to the outlets from the regular AC outlets. I.E. can the inverter be let on with the other sources of power coming into the HM.

I hope that I have explained this right.

a
rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 06:28 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=rambler62;3071089]
1 For TV's do I need a Pure Sine wave or will a Modified do.
2 I am looking at a 1000 watt which should be more than enough to run TV's under 34" QUOTE]

This article may help. Older Tv's would not care, newer electronics is a little more picky. Don't know about wiring it into your system. Some new LED tv's will run off 12 volt DC or need pure sine wave inverter.

https://www.altestore.com/blog/2015/...he-difference/
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unfortunately there is not a simple answer to the must have need for a PSW inverter. It depends on the TV. That said, I have operated old tube type and new LED type on MSW just fine. YMMV.

1000w unit will be more than enough to operate a TV and. DVD player. You can probably use a 300-400w unit, especially if using LED TVs. Check the power consumption tags on the TVs.

Wiring to the batteries, keeping the DC wires short, and running longer AC wires to the TV is the way to go.

Yes, you can just run the TV off the inverter all the time, even when you have shore or genny power.

Safe/best way to go us to buy a PSW inverter. That said, Costco online has a couple MSW inverters at a good price. If it does not work out its easy to return to Costco. I have both the 1500w and 2300w units.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #4

You don't say what kind of TVs you have, but if they're LCD they probably use less than 200 watts each. Look at the tag on the back for power consumption.

There are less expensive inverters that are decent enough quality to work. I have a Tiger Claw 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter ($200) that got good reviews. Spending a little extra money for pure sine wave means you won't ever have to worry about something you might want to plug into it in the future, even if you don't need it for your current TVs.

http://www.siglermusiconline.com/pro...3000-watt-peak
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:53 AM   #5

I have a Jensen 28" LED T.V. and run it with a 175 Watt inverter that I bought for $25. There is a 12 volt DC plug in the cabinet and I just plug in the inverter and plug the TV into it. The TV pulls 60 watts. Works just fine. The antenna booster is wired separately into the 12 volt system. This is the one I got just to run the TV:

Amazon.com: Go Power! GP-175 175-Watt Modified Sine Wave Inverter: Automotive
Old 05-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Most LCD tvs work fine on MSW inverters, but pure sine is always the safest choice. And you don't need 1000W if it is really just a tv you want to power - 300W should be plenty. You don't have enough battery capacity to run 1000w for very long anyway, though it's nice to have for the odd use that may peak that high for a few minutes.

Yes, you can continue to run from the inverter with shore power active as long as both sources aren't powering the same outlet . You can leave the tv plugged into the inverter and the rv's converter/charger will replenish the battery as quickly as the inverter draws it down. There is about a 10% loss of efficiency that way, but we aren't talking large numbers here.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #7

Thanks to all of you. I am going to run #2 wire from the batteries to the inverter which will be less than 3 ft. I just did not want to have to switch outlets everytime I turn the gen' on and also don't want to get out of bed to turn it off at night [lazy in old age]. I think what I will do is try a MSW and if it does not work return it and bite the bullet and get a PSW.
rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Some observations from my MSW to PSW conversion.

While I did not really see any "problems" with the MSW inverter powering the TVs and video equipment, what I did notice after installing the PSW inverter was how much cooler the power supplies were. All those wall wart transformers etc. were much cooler to the touch than when they were being powered by the MSW inverter. In my mind, running cooler is better in several ways. Excess heat is wasted electricity/energy, it does in some fashion shorten the life of the appliance, and unless you're camping in cold weather, the excess heat just means the AC needs to work harder.

The cheapest solution is not always the best value...
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I installed the Wagan Pro 400W PSW Inverter in my Class A front TV cabinet to power the 32" LED TV, DVD, Laptop and USB devices. I use a small AC power strip, with devices plugged in, and move the power strip plug to coach AC or Inverter AC, as needed. Simple!

I wired in a small switch at the inverter to disconnect +12V to the inverter, to remove battery drain, when not in use. Also added small 12V meter to monitor coach battery voltage, during inverter operation. 400W is enough power for this application and PSW is a clean voltage for sensitive electronic devices.

B&H Photo has frequent sale pricing and free shipping.

WAGAN Elite 400W PRO DC to AC Pure Sine Inverter 2601 B&H Photo
Old 05-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #10

Hope this helps

Rambler,
I completely understand where your thoughts are right now. Last year I installed solar and an inverter. After all my research I was almost overloaded with information and opinions.Let me tell you what I finally settled on and why.
Solar: four - 100 Watt Mono crystalline solar panels with an MPPT charge controller. I put a circuit breaker in with two 30 amp breakers so I can shut off all of the power coming into the charge controller from the solar panels or shut off power going from the charge controller to the batteries.This system has worked great for me and was very easy to install.

Power Inverter: 2000 Watt Pure sine Wave. I connected it to the two six volt batteries using double 00 wire and put in a heavy fuse in between the batteries and the inverter on the positive cable.I debated for a longtime whether I should purchase pure sine or modified, but in the end I decided to spend the extra money for pure sine.My two main reason were 1. Peace of mind, I knew if I did not buy pure sine I would keep debating it in my head and it would drive me nuts.2. It was worth the investment for the quality of electricity and potentially cheaper in the long run if I damaged something by using the modified sine inverter.
I always plug my RV into the inverter by either running an extension cord from my shore line or I run the shore line itself over to the inverter and use the adaptor and plug into the inverter, this way I can have power to all of my plugs etc. without any additional wiring. I leave my inverter on all the time when I am plugged into it. (Remember I have solar, I LOVE SOLAR) There are things to know when you do it this way though. 1. Make sure you fridge is set to gas only or it will run on electricity from your batteries. 2. ALWAYS unplug you Converter when plugged into the Inverter.I know this sound confusing, but it is super easy.

I am always the one charging everyone's phones and running a 32" LCD TV and Blue Ray player. At night I will have two TVs running (I set a shut off timer on the TVs) I only run the generator when I am making coffee in the morning or when the girls need to use the hair dryer.

Your Questions:
1. Pure or Modified, up to you, but you do risk damage and poor picture quality etc.
2. 1000 Watts is more than enough to run a TV and DVD/Blue Ray player
3. The way I use it requires no additional wiring.
4. I would have to see how you wire it up.

Good Luck and have fun!
Todd.H is offline   Reply With Quote