Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I hear ya Jim. I didn't get any allocated in the IPO and I'm glad now I didn't !!!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I dunno what could be worse.... I bought 10k in facebook last friday, it's only down $1500 in 2 days....
I didn't jump on that bandwagon. I'm gonna wait till the IPO fever wears off a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I think i like my deskdrawer best. 30k a monthg ago, 30k today, no losses.
Keep an eye on that inflation corrosion in the deskdrawer fund. Dad buried $100 in my back yard in 1940, I dug it up last week. It ain't what it used to be.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #17

That's funny. My dad buried a $100 gold coin back then, and you wouldn't believe what it's worth now!

Now if I could just find the little bugger. Or if dad had told me where he buried it....

GL Arnold
Old 05-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
That's funny. My dad buried a $100 gold coin back then, and you wouldn't believe what it's worth now!

Now if I could just find the little bugger. Or if dad had told me where he buried it....

GL Arnold

Old 05-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I invested in my state retirement and SS. My wife invested in a private retirement, SS and IRA's. Our retirement income will be a little less than double the national working wage without touching the IRA's.
As far as SS going broke: all they need to do is pay the money back that was illegally taken out of the TRUST fund for other purposes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We get well over 20% return but its on rental properties that are paid for.

I'm not into stocks that much and if you are getting returns of 18% in this climate in stocks I would be very concerned. I don't see that as realistic, if I were I would be pulling the gains out till I had at least my original investment back in the bank. There are to many mini Madoffs out there. And remember some really smart people got took in his scam.

As far as investing in the RV industry sorry not that either. I don't think people realize over 40% or more of the boomers coming up are likely to need assistance rather then joining the leisure class. Possibly even more when you hear of folks going into retirement with house payments and car payments, most will not survive long with reduced incomes. There seems to be a great lack of common sense nowadays.

Retirement expert: “Most middle-class Americans will become poor or near-poor retirees”

Apr30 by David Yamada
According to economist Teresa Ghilarducci, one of the nation’s leading experts on retirement policy, “(i)t looks like most middle-class Americans will become poor or near-poor retirees,” adding that “(t)he baby boomers will be the first generation that will do worse in retirement than their parents.”
Ghilarducci’s comments appear in The Week, a weekly news magazine, as part of an informative piece (“The not-so-golden years,” April 27 edition) spotlighting a largely neglected Boomer retirement savings crisis that has grave implications for America’s social and economic well-being.
401(k)s vs. pensions
While the economic meltdown is one reason for this crisis, the more systemic cause is the disappearance of the traditional pension plan. The Week reports that from 1980 to 2006, the percentage of private-sector workers with employer-funded pension plans dropped from 60 percent to 10 percent. The 401(k) plan — voluntary and largely employee-funded — would replace the pension as the primary retirement savings vehicle.
Unfortunately, most workers have not built 401(k) accounts sufficient to fund a comfortable retirement; the average 401(k) balance “is just over $60,000,” according to The Week. Even worse, “(m)ore than half of U.S. workers have no retirement plan at all.” Social Security payments “averaging $14,780 a year for individuals and $22,000 for couples” won’t bridge the gaps.
Consequently, it appears that many Boomers will find themselves working much later into their lives, seeking cheaper housing, and cutting and cutting back sharply on spending.

The implications to society is huge. With the millions of boomers having decreased earnings that flow into society it will effect all levels. Housing has to be a huge component with 10,000 of us a day going into the boomer age group. More health care needed, less money more demand on medicare and public services while less tax revenues are going in. I think with the new jobs where younger workers don't earn as much and all the stresses of the country we are going to see the "pooring of America". Not real optomistic for many folks. I'm looking at some low cost rentals to add as I don't feel a lot of folks will be able to afford the typical house we have become used to. But then its possible people will buy travel trailers to live in but I would think this group would be buying used and not new.

I think some of the growth industries will be nursing homes, assisted living, and funeral homes.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #21

To quote Will Rodgers: " Buy land because they are not making any more of it."
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #22

I think even land is hitting hard times.

I built a second home on the Maine coast in 2001, and eleven years later, I would just be able to sell it for what I have into it.

On the other hand, during the winter I purchased the wooded lot next to that home at a great price which would have been easily double the price during better times.

You win some and you lose some. Its part of life.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #23

What don't we look at actual performance on RV stocks......all are well off their pre-crash peaks of 2007.... But....if you look at their performance over the past three years....not too bad!

THOR Industries is the largest RV builder in N America and if you had bought their stock 3 yrs ago (2009) it was trading at around $10.......this year it has traded as high as $35 and it closed today at $31 for a three year return of +300%.

Winnibago is one of the best know RV builders and if you had bought their stock 3yrs ago (2009) it was trading at around $5.....this year it has traded at around $10 and it closed today at $8.95 for a three year return of more or less 100%.

Sooooooooooo.......... In answer to the original post.......Are or is the RV industry a good investment......we'll....in the past three years it certainly has.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
In my view, a numer of factors come into play:

1. Baby boomers are reacing retirement age at something like 10,000 PER DAY over the next 18 years. I have to believe some (a lot?) of them will be buying RVs.

2. Lots of people have lost their homes. Probably a bunch of them will be moving into the RV world out of necessity rather than leisure. We've seen a few examples of this here at iRV2.

3. Many RV manufacturers have gone belly-up over the last decade. The stongest have survived. Those who are still in business will, in my opinion, have a solid foundation on which to do business in the coming decade.

4. Assuming 1 & 2 above hold true, the RV service industries (CGs, service centers, retailers, etc) should be solid as well because of the presumed increase in the number of people moving to the RV lifestyle, and the desire of these people to stretch their dollar by maintaining their coaches.

5. High fuel prices will surely affect the RV markets in a negative way, but based on the responses here to people posing the question, the majority don't seem to think fuel prices will affect their RVing plans in a major way.

Personally, I think RV markets are solid at the moment, but not a boom.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #25
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I invested in my state retirement and SS. My wife invested in a private retirement, SS and IRA's. Our retirement income will be a little less than double the national working wage without touching the IRA's.
As far as SS going broke: all they need to do is pay the money back that was illegally taken out of the TRUST fund for other purposes.
We can pin the SS problem on Lyndon B. Johnson. 'Nuff said....
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote