Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2021, 02:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Invincible roof

Anybody try invincible roof from Master tech RV in Elkhart Indiana? Sounds good, what do you think?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2021, 03:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went to their site: https://mastertechrv.com/invincible/

And wasn't able to determine what the cost would be.

Do you know the cost?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes. They charge $150 per linear foot. Thus our 35’ will be somewhere around $5300. Plus about $1000 state sales tax, I don’t remember exactly, and since our unit is 7 years old, they recommend changing out the skylight as well due to age and since it has been parked outside, sun exposure. They do it for cost. They also remove everything off the roof and change gaskets as needed.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:25 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
Plus about $1000 state sales tax
Are you sure that's right? Almost 19% sales tax seems a little steep.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
Are you sure that's right? Almost 19% sales tax seems a little steep.
No I am not. As I said, I really don’t remember. Also not all of it is taxable as I recall. I think it was only material, but again, I am not sure. I blocked out 7k for ours in my mind. It well may be a bit less. And I think I included trip costs and a new skylight in that. I just did not want to have someone upset with me for quoting too low a number so said $1000.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:07 AM   #6

Have you ever painted over wall paper? The most important thing is you better be very sure that what ever you are putting this stuff on top of is in good shape (NOT LOOSE ANYWHERE ) > the draw back I see, is if the old roof ever turns loose then you got to pull all that mess off and start over ! that's just common sense.Lots of wall paper has been painted over and never gave any trouble but it was not exposed to the outdoor elements ! This looks to be a good product but I would think it needs a good clean surface that is tight to start with.My roof is a rubber roof 20 yrs old has a couple of places that are showing some looseness so I would not think I would use a spray over product . When the time comes I will just replace the rubber roof and I'm sure it will out last me !
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:34 AM   #7

Indiana sales tax is 7%. Restaurants charge another 1%. I think that is called entertainment tax. But that 1% would not be applied for this. You might check to see if labor is itemized separately. If it is, I don’t think labor is sales taxable. But all supplies are taxed for sure.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:38 AM   #8

I wouldn't use a coating on the old roof, especially for that price...
What's wrong with your current roof and what type of material is it?
Old 01-09-2021, 09:37 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I guess you can call me a tightwad, but I would NEVER spend that kind of money on a roof!

There's way too many other options, including well-rated DIY coatings, that I would try! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog2 View Post
Have you ever painted over wall paper? The most important thing is you better be very sure that what ever you are putting this stuff on top of is in good shape (NOT LOOSE ANYWHERE ) > the draw back I see, is if the old roof ever turns loose then you got to pull all that mess off and start over ! that's just common sense.Lots of wall paper has been painted over and never gave any trouble but it was not exposed to the outdoor elements ! This looks to be a good product but I would think it needs a good clean surface that is tight to start with.My roof is a rubber roof 20 yrs old has a couple of places that are showing some looseness so I would not think I would use a spray over product . When the time comes I will just replace the rubber roof and I'm sure it will out last me !
This is not a dyi project. It is done in their shop in indiana. The present roof is in good shape and is fiberglass.. I just am considering doing it before trouble sets in not after. If we had a shelter to park it in I probably would not even consider this.
Or if I were 20 years younger I would probably look for a product I could use myself.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
This is not a dyi project. It is done in their shop in indiana. The present roof is in good shape and is fiberglass.. I just am considering doing it before trouble sets in not after. If we had a shelter to park it in I probably would not even consider this.
Or if I were 20 years younger I would probably look for a product I could use myself.
If you have a fiberglass roof, it just needs to be cleaned and waxed once in a while. Zero need for this expensive treatment.
If you can't do this normal maintenance then put the $5K in the bank and use the interest monies to pay someone to clean the roof for you. It literally takes me 30 minutes with a power washer and then quick brush with car wash detergent.

While and post cleaning is the perfect time to inspect all seals and sealants that need the REGULAR replacement and resealing. THIS is what keeps the roof and RV structure in good shape.

Putting a coating on a good roof is LOOKING for trouble, not avoiding it.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The polyurea coating is good stuff, but you would be paying $7000 to coat the seams on your existing fiberglass roof. Seems like a super-expensive way to avoid a possible future problem. The fiberglass is already impervious to water and darn near impervious to punctures, so occasional inspection and touch-up of the caulked seams would achieve the same at much less cost.

I would be skeptical that this coating is all that much superior to any other brush or spray on you could put over the seams. Sure, polyurea is stronger and stretchier than the more common elastomeric rubber coatings, but properly installed elastomers should last 10 years easily, so how much better does it need to be? Any process that strips all the gear off the roof and fully coats is better than just brushing around what's up there, but you don't need polyurea to do that. On the other hand, much of the cost is in the labor of removing and replacing rooftop stuff, so an elastomeric coating applied in the same way probably runs $5000 too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:50 AM   #13

The website states lifetime no leak guarantee but I wasn't able to find out just what that means. I'd imagine it covers repairing the leak itself but does it cover any damage that might come about because of the leak? Is there a lot of fine print with a bunch of exclusions? What if a skylight is damaged and has to be replaced,, how much to have the roof around it recoated?

Didn't look for the info but how long has the company been in business? Will it still be in business if something goes wrong down the road?

Says no maintenance will ever be needed. I love that idea but again, is there some fine print/exclusions that we have to watch out for?

I would look into this a little closer if our rig was only a couple of years old. But it would take a lot of research to come to a decision as I feel this is one of those things that sounds too good to be true.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:09 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keep the fiberlass

Last Mar. I fell thru my TPO roof. Robert Silva and his crew stripped roof, put on all new decking, fiberglassed my roof, new seals/gaskets and seam sealed as needed. Made improvement on roof mount of awning and improved drainage for front AC. Mr. Silva and crew of 4 spent a solid week in Mission, Tx to do this on my 39 ft. Damon Astoria. The cost was less than $7,000. His phone number is 956-223-8855 and I highly recommend. Mr. silva advised me that he and his crew do travel a long distance to perform extensive repairs. He can do any repair needed with his 35 years of experience.
Bill Grimsle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof