Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #1

iphone/android app to help park RV??

I'm a technology geek - so, this is a hair brain idea that came to me... just curious what others would think since I don't even OWN an RV yet (months/years away) and just day dreaming about how stuff would work.

Mainly was thinking about solo RV drivers and how it must be trying to back your rig into spots and such... sure, you could ask for help from someone to spot you in? but, then what if they do a bad job and you bump a pole...? who would be a fault? etc...

So, here is the concept...

You pull into the RV park and get ready to park / back in... you grab a bag of "beacons" - these are electronic gizmos that transmit their exact location to a connected smartphone. You have some beacons that look like hockey pucks. You drop these on the ground to indicate the spot you are trying to back into... you have some magnetic ones that you pop onto the corners of your rig. You put some wheel/pivot point beacons over your rear wheels so you can visualize where the rig will pivot.

Then, you jump in the seat and open the app on your smartphone or tablet.

You get a birds-eye view from above that shows the location of your rig in relation to the parking spot.

Am I just really over thinking this? or would this possibly be a useful tech tool?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-marker-beacon2.png
Views:	128
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	74271  
wfcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #2

Great idea, but there is one potential problem that I see. Most all Class A's now are fiberglass on both the front and rear caps. There will be no place to attach any magnetic beacons.

I really like the idea even for those of who travel with our darling spouses. It would probably save a whole bunch of arguing and maybe a marriage or two!
Old 09-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #3

Sounds like a lot of hassle. Most rvs (motorhomes) have rear cameras and some have side view cams....mine does. Not sure how tuff it would be to add the side view cams but that might be an easier solution for solos.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not waste my money on one
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #5

Had to go Google iBeacon to begin to understand what you are talking about. I like your concept -- depending on the accuracy of the distance information. How accurate is the positioning data?
2002 Country Coach Allure 36' #30783
Cummins ISC 350
BluegrassFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
You still need a good backup camera. I don't think all technology that would help that much.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I'm out...you're dead to me!
Attached Images

Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #8

ok - well... scrap this idea...

if 100% of the people jumped up and said "oh - my gosh - that's exactly what I've been dreaming of" then I would research it a bit more...

however, I think ultimately the price would be too high and no one would bother.

also, the technology isn't really there yet - it would have to be precise within INCHES, very small, durable and transmit over something rock solid (like wifi... not bluetooth).
wfcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am a retired geek. You keep thinking. Better tank sensors is good thing to think about. Create some that work outside the tanks.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Not a bad idea.....what might work better since most have cameras, is a bunch of pucks you could drop onto obstacles, like tree stumps or rocks that can't be seen from the mirrors or camera.

We have cars now doing what you propose, they just don't require all the setup.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
I am a retired geek. You keep thinking. Better tank sensors is good thing to think about. Create some that work outside the tanks.
Garnet Industries manufactures a tank sensor that sticks to the outside of the various RV tanks. While it is not wireless (it uses the wires already installed) it is not difficult to install, and is much more accurate at measuring the tanks contents than the factory installed system with the internal sensors. www.rvgauge.com
Old 09-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I love the idea. Would take 2 minutes to setup.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
There are already tank sensors that mount on the outside of the tank and require no through-the-tank holes.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I like the idea, but you'll have to work on the problem of how to attach the sensors to the rig. What happens to one of the "hockey pucks" when it gets run over?
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote