Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #15
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm with you Sheila. The marketing value for iRV2 would be great.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'm speaking from experience regarding the copyright/trademark issue. In my last job, I wanted to have banners made for a company sponsored function using some of our customer's logos (the customers were well known commercial corporations). The banner company would not reproduce the logos on the banners unless I had written permission from those companies to use their logos. Using the logos without permission is infringement on a copyrighted trademark & is, technically illegal. I would think the same applies here if someone took the iRV2 logo & had a flag company reproduce it on a flag without prior permission from iRV2 (i.e. Andy R).

In regards to putting the sticker on a plaque, that, I believe, is a different situation. The logo stickers are available upon request from iRV2 & what a member does with it after they have it is ok because permission for it's display has been granted to the member by iRV2 supplying them that logo'd sticker. That's why we can all go around with them plastered on our RV's for everyone to see without issues.

I suppose a member could take their sticker & stick it on fabric & make the fabric into a flag. That, I think, would be ok, because, again, the sticker was given to the member by iRV2.

I'm not saying what is legally right or wrong, just sharing my experience & my opinion.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #17
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm with Sheila, but I'm not in charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Hey Guys,

Not arguing, I just don't understand. Why isn't it a copyright problem to take the sticker, put it on another product for a new end use (the plaque) but it IS a problem to take that same logo and put it on a flag?

I'm sorry; I do not see the difference. In both cases you create a new item. In both cases you have a member using another medium to show the world that they are a member. If anything, I would think that the powers that be would be thrilled. You have yet one more way to spread the word.

All a member would need is a high res jpg and go to this site: http://www.windsensations.com/Personalized_Products_s/145.htm

I have used them to make a Garden Flag of my Kennel Logo.

Sheila

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #18

Appalachian Campers
I'm confused. iRV2 hasn't expressed any concern over members using its logo for such things as personal flags, RV plaques, etc. Why all this chit chat about copyright law?

I suppose if someone made 1,000 flags and started selling them there might be a copyright issue but all I see being discussed here is one member getting himself a flag to fly at a few rallies. No big deal in my opinion, if you want a flag either make it or hire someone to make you one.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
In my last job, I wanted to have banners made for a company sponsored function using some of our customer's logos (the customers were well known commercial corporations). The banner company would not reproduce the logos on the banners unless I had written permission from those companies to use their logos.
Lori-
That makes sense, you were reproducing other company's logo's for your commercial company. I can see why they- the printer- would err on the side of caution.

However this is not the same. It's a club member, so to speak, taking a freely given logo, the sticker, and having it put on a flag. They are not doing it for financial gain (resale).

Instead they are doing it as free marketing for iRV2.com-- no different, in fact, than the plaque.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #20
doc

Appalachian Campers
I'm with Richard. If the owner doesn't object then there is no foul. In fact we have had people ask what the 'iRV2' was on a tee shirt. A flag would be darn good site advertisement.
doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #21

Dudes

I want a flag!!I wanna be the first to have one in . My friends would be jelous
Old 04-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto19 View Post
Dudes

I want a flag!!I wanna be the first to have one in . My friends would be jelous
I want a flag, too!!! If irv2.com would produce them I would certainly buy one. Gee, how many people coming to the National Rally would buy flags to fly there?
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #23

Not a Flag but another option!!!

Rick
Old 04-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #24

Appalachian Campers
Once a price for such a flag was established many folks who are interested in getting one would pass on buying one. With the 6 colors and the very fine detail in the center of the logo, a commercially produced woven flag would cost more than a simple 2 or 3 color flag. We went through all this back about 5 or 6 years ago, we got bids and estimates to make flags, both woven and screen printed.

When it was learned the flags would have to sell for so much to cover expenses and to return a profit the project was abandoned. My wife made one for me, it's the one flown at the last annual rally as pictured in post #2 above and also displayed below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iRV2flag.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	3660  
Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #25

SEE what I started, if the flags were made then they will come $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This is what we like to do, go RV camping and why not all of us fly the flag that we love to do so much travel and support.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #26
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I want a whirl-y-bird with an iRV2 flag.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
My wife made one for me, it's the one flown at the last annual rally as pictured in post #2 above and also displayed below:
Richard,

Sounds like a source of retirement income to me!!!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #28

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Sounds like a source of retirement income to me!!!
Heard that Rusty! I just asked her if she'd want to make another and she blurted out an emphatic 'no way'. Then I started naming various figures for doing one, fishing for what it'd take to get another, raising it in $100 increments. I continued getting the negative nod even at $500.

She paused a little when I asked if she'd do one for $1,000 and never did answer me. ROFLMAO