Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2022, 04:08 PM   #1

Is it possible to add a tongue box to a curved front trailer?

I thought about putting this thread in another forum but ultimately I didn't see one it specifically fit in.

I am planning on moving my batteries inboard which will free up tongue space. I am looking to utilize the space for storage*. Will it be possible to add a tongue box with that curved front or will it prevent a box from firing in there/opening? Links to products that might fit are highly encouraged/appreciated.

* I am still 2 months from picking up the trailer so I don't have the ability to dry fit for a box at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoGrid_Plus_1656451259473.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	369571  
chaostactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2022, 05:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaostactics View Post
I thought about putting this thread in another forum but ultimately I didn't see one it specifically fit in.

I am planning on moving my batteries inboard which will free up tongue space. I am looking to utilize the space for storage*. Will it be possible to add a tongue box with that curved front or will it prevent a box from firing in there/opening? Links to products that might fit are highly encouraged/appreciated.

* I am still 2 months from picking up the trailer so I don't have the ability to dry fit for a box at the moment.
I would fabricate a storage box and if you can’t do it, have a custom one built. I like to add things to my coaches that when it’s done, it looks like it belongs there. If you can find one that you can purchase, that would work also. However, I would try to get the most out of that space if you’re going thru the trouble.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:58 PM   #3

It is possible to have a steel/aluminum box installed on the tongue. BUT… You really would want to have the measurements of the distance on your tongue between front cap and LP tank to get a true idea of what you can fit. My trailer has a curved lower front, and I put an aluminum storage box on the front. The width and the height of the box are imperative though.

It took me a while of looking for the perfect fit for my tongue, and I actually ended up buying one off of EBay (brand new from manufacture).

My box opens all the way, and doesn’t touch the front cap, but it does touch my LP cover, which to me is no big deal except when I need to change the tank out. Then it’s a PITA to remove the cover.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:12 PM   #4

Yes, you can do this. Just judging by your photo, you may be able to install a toolbox like I did, when I moved my LiFePo4 inside the pass-thru. Now, I use the toolbox to carry ground tackle. The lid will not open 90 degrees (only about 80), but wide enough to easily get stuff in and out. I did not permanently affix my box to the tongue because I wanted to be able to take it off whenever I wanted. Instead, I affixed angle brackets to the tongue with taping screws to prevent the box from moving fore and aft, and used heavy duty shock cord to on the handles to give very secure mounting.

Amazon Tool Box 30”x8”x9”. $105.00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2AB4248E-4307-413B-A1FD-C32A335155C7.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	369580  
Old 06-28-2022, 07:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry1 View Post
It is possible to have a steel/aluminum box installed on the tongue. BUT… You really would want to have the measurements of the distance on your tongue between front cap and LP tank to get a true idea of what you can fit. My trailer has a curved lower front, and I put an aluminum storage box on the front. The width and the height of the box are imperative though.

It took me a while of looking for the perfect fit for my tongue, and I actually ended up buying one off of EBay (brand new from manufacture).

My box opens all the way, and doesn’t touch the front cap, but it does touch my LP cover, which to me is no big deal except when I need to change the tank out. Then it’s a PITA to remove the cover.
I've been wondering about replacing the rivets on my cover with some sort of toggles or something or maybe strong rare earth magnets so instead of lifting the cover up off the tanks I can just pull the front cover then tilt the tank forward. Wonder if that'd help with your situation? I'm not even sure if it's possible as it's my first RV and I don't know a lot about stuff yet.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:14 AM   #6

If you are planning on moving the batteries inside the trailer or even a storage compartment be careful. Lead acid batteries produce hydrogen and hydrogen sulfide gas when charging. The area where the batteries are must be vented to the outside. Even AGM batteries will vent if overcharged.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
If you are planning on moving the batteries inside the trailer or even a storage compartment be careful. Lead acid batteries produce hydrogen and hydrogen sulfide gas when charging. The area where the batteries are must be vented to the outside. Even AGM batteries will vent if overcharged.
I was thinking the same thing. And we know that lithium batteries have their issues.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:21 PM   #8

The compartment is not air tight. It's going to be AGM batteries indeed.

2022 F-150 Platinum Powerboost with Max Tow Package.

Tags
trailer