Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2020, 04:55 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Simply put, government code regulations dictate a lot of this, when it comes to restrooms it is all about ADA code requirements. The problem with the ADA code is it says exactly where things must be in relationship to other things, like door swing radius, or height for grab rails, with very little room for error. About 20 years ago a local public building a couple of blocks from my house had its opening delayed by almost two months due to the urinals in the men's room being half an inch too high, requiring the entire wall to be ripped out and redone.

I have ran into it in myself while managing a family business, where at one point we added a small 2400 sq ft retail building next to our distribution warehouse, this was basically one big open room with a restroom in the corner, even this simple building took months to be approved by the state fire marshals office, requiring 3 rounds of updates to the floor plans, and even then the restroom wall had to be torn out and redone because there was window at the end of the hallway leading to the restroom, and apparently there is some regulation that changes the distance offset for a doorway if there is a window at the end of a hall.

On top of this there are regulations about how smooth / rough a restroom floor has to be, and then there are competing regulations between governing the same aspect of the building, but covered by two different inspectors.

Let me give you an example, still on the topic of restrooms, since we were in the food distribution business our buildings were under the state department of health and hospitals oversight, one of their requirements was that all restroom floors slope towards a central drain at a specific slope. The problem is that the ADA handicap accessibility laws require a restroom floor to be level too a lower angle than is required for the drain.

The inspectors will not tell you how to address this, they will only say that what you are doing does not comply, and they don't care that any solution that complies, violates the other inspectors code requirements.

Hope you never have to use the ADA handicapped restroom or anything that needs to be done to be ADA compliant. I guess the handicapped need to just stay home so people are not inconvenienced.
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't look for things that I could complain about. Not much I could do about it so why get the blood pressure up?
Agreed! The biggest complaint I have regarding RVing is dealer service, or rather lack of.

We were able to get approval to replace the driver and passenger seats. The service representative called while we were on our fall trip. I made the appointment to take it in a few days after we returned., which would be about 3 weeks. We told them we were going away again in December. They were also to fix the motor to the step and fix the seal on the toilet since it wasn't holding water in the bowl.

They had it for several weeks when the rep called to tell us they ordered the wrong part. Okay, we still have two weeks. Nope. We finally get it back the day before we were to leave without the new seats. Oh well at least the toilet and step have been repaired.

Half right. The step works. The toilet not only didn't hold water in the bowl, it didn't all make it to the black tank! What a freaking mess. They now have until March.

With all that, why does the simplest thing take so long? I take my car in it will be ready in a few days, not a few weeks.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #45

The solution to the low toilet paper and wet shelves or hooks is a simple one.
Use the facilities in your RV that you paid for to have in your RV
Badbrad1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:33 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
The single item with the largest impact rv parks could provide in my opinion is reliable fast wifi internet service.
Not for the wife and I, we go to camp, booty surf the internet or watch TV.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:44 PM   #47

After reading this through........I am astounded at the number of folks here, who are usually polite and helpful, that have given you the very rude and nasty "if you don't like it, leave" responses.

You are right about most of what you say. For the most part, things are that way because folks -- principally Americans -- put up with. So, why should anyone change.

We have been RV-ing since before the term "RV" was invented. It once was "camping", where being outdoors was the prime reason. But, we are seriously considering giving it all up.

Campgrounds are no longer campgrounds. They are devolving into theme parks, with community centers, pools, music stages, etc. Folks there play LOUD music, leave arc lights under, over, and around their rigs 24/7, have a passion to NEEEEED outside TV during a lovely sunset, take their fluffy, yappy rats for a crap under my window at oh-dark-thirty, or encourage their equally rude progeny to romp through the park, at will.

There are even those who will boondock way-the-hell out in the boonies -- and park within 10 ft of me, when there are hundreds of square miles available -- and do all the above.

Our favorite CG is in a town where we attend a half dozen music festivals a year. Been in the family for 50 or more years. All sites are CLEAN, level, 50A.....sewer connections are ground level, with a simple screw cap on the 4in pipe......water faucets are 30-36 in. off the ground, allowing you to BREATHE while attaching the hose.....in the potty, a TP roll hangs from a nail, with a cabinet full within reach.....unlimited hot water. When folks asked about wi-fi, he went to Radio Shack and got a router, nailed it to a post and put in on the office roof.....QED.

If we get the rude, nasty folks.........he throws them out. If he needs it, the regulars (and the deputy, that lives down the block) help.

Nice place for $22 / night.

By and large, however, manners are gone..........soon we will be, also.
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:44 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNTNG View Post
I read all the issues and concerns RVers have with RV park restrooms and I have to ask this question. Why do so many RVers not use the bathroom in their motorhome, fifthwheel, or trailers? We bought our first travel trailer a 26ft mallard in 1999. We have been full time in our 39 ft FW for 5 years and we have never used an RV park shower or restroom. I have seen people in million dollar motorhomes, luxury fifthwheel and large trailers use RV park restrooms and I am curious why. I can understand why people with small RVs or campers with a wet bath might want to use an RV park restroom but those with large full leaded RVs. Anyway, Just an observation on my part.
Although I rarely stay in private RV parks, I always use available toilets for number 2. Why would I want to poop in my own nest?
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:48 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Hope you never have to use the ADA handicapped restroom or anything that needs to be done to be ADA compliant. I guess the handicapped need to just stay home so people are not inconvenienced.
This is an interesting hard-line stance. A former neighbor (a quadriplegic due to a car crash) made his living visiting local establishments measuring every conceivable table/counter height, payphone location/height, ramp grade, sink type, etc and filed suit against every single business that was even 1/4" out of compliance. Most settled with him to avoid further legal costs.

While trying to make the world fair and equitable for those with handicap issues is a noble idea, at some point even that process becomes overly burdensome and abused as well. Always two sides to a piece of toast.

A recent addition to the ADA Act mandated that public pools install lifts for the disabled. This applied to hotels with more than X rooms (I don't recall the specific numbers). So even smaller, family-owned hotels had to spend $20k+ to install a lift on the off chance they may get a disabled guest who may want to swim. Many hotel owners who could not justify that expense simply closed their pools permanently. Thus, the net effect is that instead of the rare handicapped guest not having access via lift, NO ONE can enjoy the pool. But I guess that's a "fair" outcome, right? Unintended (but completely predictable) consequences of .gov intervention.
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #50

Re-Do RV life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterSUX View Post
For a few years now we have observed, accessed, enjoyed and been abused by all things RV. Interestingly, there seem to be some commonality in what could be done better. Be it RV parks or public camp areas to dealers, insurers, service folks or even simple fueling, I tend to suspect that simple entrenchment is the reason the culture of RV seems fixated as the same experience from the mid 1970s. Can anything be done to move to the current age?

Perhaps you have a solution for things that could be done better across the board?
Go back - never. Like deciding if I really need my right arm or not? At 77, I may alter things as I grow "old", heck did I say that nasty word, things may be modified, but never to solid non-movable walls. Mama said "never say never".

Showers & restrooms:
First with my first two motorhomes (both 34') the bathroom was just to small (I am 5'11" 220 lbs). However two years ago we purchased a mature (2000 Rose Air 40'). Shower is huge. So now we use our own, however if we are camped at a park (usually those are government owned) without sewer, we use the campground toilets and showers to extent the times to go dump.

With that in mind, the lower paper roll dispenser has puzzled me, but never risen to the level of a compliant. Because mounting position is not a cost factor, I would suspect some bureaucrats interpretation of a regulation. Personally, take mine with me, showed up, did my thing only to notice no paper.

Showers, I agree that a "wet" and "dry" area in the shower stall would be great. The ones I have seen that really work good take up no more room, just a little designing. Because a lot of these are older, this is usually at the bottom of the renovation list. Heck, I can remember COLD showers. Ever notice how many signs still say "hot showers".

Check-in:
Personally about 75% of the time is at federal, state or locally owned RV parks. The remainder at privately owned locations. Never have I spent more than five minutes at check-in in. Of course, I have poorly planned and arrive late Friday evening with ten in front of me. Even then, it was five minutes --- per RV.

Wi Fi
Yes it would be good to have the latest, greatest most expensive gadget. I love technology and earned a good living at it as an electrical engineer. The reason most used is today's expensive system is junk in six months. From a money point of view, it does not justify it.

Sewer Hook up:
The reason given by the Department of Streets and Drainage (includes sewer), Shreveport, LA is that it is important that "drain water" not enter the sewer system. Because the sewers are not equipped to hand the volume encountered when drain water enters the system. Have you after a heavy down pour, seen water flooding out the seams around a man hole cover. Sewer system overload and that is raw sewer mixed with drain water.

RV Survey:
I think a well designed RV survey with results available at no charge to the public. With this report free, who funds it? Don't get me wrong, I am for the survey.

Conflicting regulations:
Part of modern life. It is an old time story, probably true or maybe not. In the early days of OSHA, the collision inspector said you needed a warning horn before and during movement. OK, warning horn installed. A few days later the noise level guy cam in and said warning was to loud and hearing protection was required. Grain of salt story.

Well what do we do?
Well, I like plain white toilet paper, my wife likes a printed scented toilet paper. How in the world do you resolve that: Very simple - two roll dispensers. Life is simple, pick and choose your fights (OK, fight is to strong a word). You can't do it all.

If I had a #1 on my list I could not come up with one. Now I probably could come up with many #5s, but cause they are number 5, who worries about it?
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
Some states have a code requiring the opening to be so high off the ground.
Your a dedicated environmentalist so you can understand why.
Its a viable regulation.

And I just thought it was for the owner to laugh and watch everyone play slinky with the stinky hose.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #52

If they didn’t do things that way no would have any reason to write and complain. Lol
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:20 PM   #53

Complaints

If you look, you can always find something to complain about. Rv parks are in business to make money. They will upgrade facilities when the competition impacts them, or when the upgrade allows for a return on investment. Many of the Rv parks that we use are managed by the owners. I haven’t come across any that have a corporate jet. Most have been very helpful, pleasant and truly trying to give you a good value for your money. God bless them!
BigUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
Agreed! The biggest complaint I have regarding RVing is dealer service, or rather lack of.

We were able to get approval to replace the driver and passenger seats. The service representative called while we were on our fall trip. I made the appointment to take it in a few days after we returned., which would be about 3 weeks. We told them we were going away again in December. They were also to fix the motor to the step and fix the seal on the toilet since it wasn't holding water in the bowl.

They had it for several weeks when the rep called to tell us they ordered the wrong part. Okay, we still have two weeks. Nope. We finally get it back the day before we were to leave without the new seats. Oh well at least the toilet and step have been repaired.

Half right. The step works. The toilet not only didn't hold water in the bowl, it didn't all make it to the black tank! What a freaking mess. They now have until March.

With all that, why does the simplest thing take so long? I take my car in it will be ready in a few days, not a few weeks.

Dealers, at least most, put priority on getting rigs ready to go out the door. Fixing them is secondary at best. Their technician are self taught and are not really qualified. Go to a good independent repair facility. They don't want your rig hanging around, because they don't have the room. They depend on their reputation to stay in business. Haven't had much of a problem with independent RV repair businesses. I do not use dealer's unless the manufacture requires it.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:36 PM   #55

re:
toilet paper holder height

Oh, this touches a nerve!
After surgery on my ankle, I was in a wheelchair with an 'external fixator' screwed into my leg bones.
Using a toilet outside my home was a disaster.
Apparently, some nameless faceless bureaucrat deep in the bowels of some bureaucracy someplace decided to unilaterally determine the position of the standardized height of toilet paper roll holders... without consulting any user or potential user of said holder.
Or, maybe, said bureaucrat heard the consultation, then disregarded it in favor of irrelevant information.

After surgery, I had use of all my muscles and limbs... but had a difficult time balancing on the seat while reaching down to the toilet paper holder at ankle level for my tidying after the fact.
I cannot imagine a cripple trying to reach down with one hand while holding the stability bar with the other hand while the other hand holds the other bar while the other hand tries to balance and rip the toilet paper...

...because nobody uses perforated toilet paper anymore!

No. They switched to enormous rolls, continual rolls devoid of any easy way to separate the amount I choose from the seven miles remaining inside the holder!
So, to get any reasonable amount of toilet paper requires two hands dedicated to the getting.

Or you can one-hand it, shredding it to smithereens while rendering it useless for the task.
At which point, the charade starts over BECAUSE NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND USES SHREDDED TOILET PAPER!

[ remembers to breathe ]
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:46 PM   #56

Nor'easters Club
Re-Do RV Life: Newbie POV

My wife and I, in our late 60's, jumped into the RV/camping pool for the first time last year. Did all of our research using various social media (including IRV2 Forums), attending RV'g/Camping Shows, and visiting/talking with many many dealers and private sellers. Fell for our MiniMax teardrop and, with our Beagle-Doxie, Rosie, toured all over New England this past Summer. In the Fall we were eager, some might say desperate, to extend our newfound joy of travel-trailering, and towed our 17' camper from Massachusetts to Florida. Utilizing terrific route and campground tips from the IRV2 community - and benefiting from real-time TripWizard enabled navigation. What memorable experiences, seeing this beautiful country, staying in a variety of public & private campgrounds; some few made unforgettable for their vintage accommodations, albeit generally accompanied by remarkably beautiful scenery (and low cost); the overwhelming majority notable for the truly friendly & helpful hosts and campers; several of whom we now count as friends. My wife and I frequently remark how very fortunate we are to be able to dip in and out of the RV pool, gaining confidence to travel towards the deep end. So, while I defer to the varied and valuable opinions of those RV'g veterans, wiser by the miles under their wheels, some things should, and perhaps will, be improved - but for now these newbies are grateful for the simple pleasures our Teardrop adventuring has provided.

PS - we almost always use the campsite facilities - taking the occasionally necessary care to preserve the local "wildlife."
rosebud1218 is offline   Reply With Quote