Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2021, 05:10 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
Can’t imagine they can replace a Diesel engine in an 18 wheeler with an electric motor. I love my F250 turbo diesel.

https://freightliner.com/electric-trucks/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Basic economics tells us as demand falls so do prices. Every electric car sold helps reduce the demand for oil. Diesel and gasoline will still be around and affordable for decades. The AVERAGE age of an American car is now 12 years. So a new car sold in 2030 will more than likely be on the road in 2042. Since that’s the average age, we can figure some will be on the road well after that. Look around, how many 2000-2005 cars and trucks do you still see one the road? Those are 20 years old. So now we’re talking 2050 until the last ice is on the road. That is making the assumption that no 2030 models made will be ice. That is very doubtful.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #17

I've often wondered why the electrification of automobiles has not followed in the footsteps of the rail industry. It seems like a small liquid fuel powered electric genset could power a set of electric motors that not only provided traction but braking. If one could scale down a deisel fueled electric locomotive that ran on a fuel source created from a bio mass a number of environmental goals could be met. Less landfill waste and less degredation of the natural environment caused by oil exploration. One wouldn't have to worry about the electric grid being over taxed and there would not be the environmental nightmare created by the production of solar cells and lithium based batteries. And to top it off, we wouldn't be turning food sources into fuel sources.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim View Post
Trying to keep the politics out of this but environmentalists are being elected. This is a big problem.
As much as various and sundry politicians can make my stomach turn, lots of "somebody's" are voting for whoever gets elected. My discomfort is not only with the elected official, but also those who "voted for THAT critter."

There are several other threads here on iRV2 that have taken up the gauntlet of defending Our Diesel Dinosaurs against *proposed* state legislation and/or regulations that would eventually limit the ability to register vehicles of a certain class or type in those states. None of these has yet to acquire the weight of law.

Educating elected officials (or their staff, usually) is best done by affiliate groups or associations. These groups need to be on the public comment agenda at every opportunity. They need to encourage constituents to contact legislators and regulatory boards/commissions with written comments. Most importantly, this input needs to be given starting at the earliest opportunity, when regulations are work shopped and when legislative aides are drafting statutes. Waiting for the final public hearing is to be 6-12 months too late. The earlier the start, the more likely a group or association will have impact on proposed changes.

Amidst this general hand-wringing and clutching of pearls, however... remember that the calendar continues to go forward; it neither rewinds nor pauses. You or I may have another RV purchase left in our lives, maybe 2 if we're lucky, but the generations behind us will have different priorities, needs, and desires. Those generations will be making purchase decisions 5, 10, 15 years from now, not today, so "our ways" may only apply a little or not at all by the time they're spending their own money.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
As much as various and sundry politicians can make my stomach turn, lots of "somebody's" are voting for whoever gets elected. My discomfort is not only with the elected official, but also those who "voted for THAT critter."

There are several other threads here on iRV2 that have taken up the gauntlet of defending Our Diesel Dinosaurs against *proposed* state legislation and/or regulations that would eventually limit the ability to register vehicles of a certain class or type in those states. None of these has yet to acquire the weight of law.

Educating elected officials (or their staff, usually) is best done by affiliate groups or associations. These groups need to be on the public comment agenda at every opportunity. They need to encourage constituents to contact legislators and regulatory boards/commissions with written comments. Most importantly, this input needs to be given starting at the earliest opportunity, when regulations are work shopped and when legislative aides are drafting statutes. Waiting for the final public hearing is to be 6-12 months too late. The earlier the start, the more likely a group or association will have impact on proposed changes.

Amidst this general hand-wringing and clutching of pearls, however... remember that the calendar continues to go forward; it neither rewinds nor pauses. You or I may have another RV purchase left in our lives, maybe 2 if we're lucky, but the generations behind us will have different priorities, needs, and desires. Those generations will be making purchase decisions 5, 10, 15 years from now, not today, so "our ways" may only apply a little or not at all by the time they're spending their own money.
I agree and from what the majority of vehicle manufacturers have decided what the future holds and the # of new ev sales worldwide the ICE engine as we know it doesn't seem to have bright future?
Old 07-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #20

Jayco Owners Club
I don't know if it will ever happen, but I would like to see more CNG vehicles. The U.S. has so much natural gas that they often flare the natural gas off into the atmosphere at many well sites and it is cheap and very clean to burn.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dval View Post
I agree and from what the majority of vehicle manufacturers have decided what the future holds and the # of new ev sales worldwide the ICE engine as we know it doesn't seem to have bright future?
I doubt the ICE is going extinct. There will always be places, situations, etc for which it is THE answer.

Because we're talking about "pick your power source" in the context of RVing, we've got a pretty big swath - bumper pulls, 5ers, and the various permutations of Class A/B/C. We also have a spectrum of users, from weekend-at-the-lake to full timers to working nomads in health care, construction, contract work, etc. A whole lot of moving parts that can make gasoline/diesel/BEV a better choice for an individual or family, and less so for another.

It will be interesting to see how far, how fast, the new RV chassis market evolves.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
I think it's mostly young people. They seem to be more concerned about the future than older people.

It's also people living where the effects of climate change are more obvious. They seem to be more concerned about problem than people elsewhere.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:15 PM   #23

Global warming? The Association of Active Volcanoes (AAV) says
"Hold my beer".

I think the "golden age" of RVing may have ended in the summer of 2020 unless "they" start building a bunch more RV parks/spaces.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:15 PM   #24

It's all Rah Rah till they have to pay the price. Manufacturers respond to markets and purchases. I do not see this instant acceptance narrative. It takes a special person to live tethered. Only time will tell.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dval View Post
I actually believe the class A motorhome is a great platform to build a EV but the cost and engineering to design and build is out of reach for the Rv manufacturers .If a big chassis manufacturer was willing to do the investment how long does it take to see a return? I think we are going to see some come out of Europe soon .

I see a lot of electric busses on the road now.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
I think it's mostly young people. They seem to be more concerned about the future than older people.

It's also people living where the effects of climate change are more obvious. They seem to be more concerned about problem than people elsewhere.
Depending on person's point of view that critter could have a different meaning ?
Old 07-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #27

I believe active volcanos are a distant second to the TBMFA (Termite Bio Mass Fart Association)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Global warming? The Association of Active Volcanoes (AAV) says
"Hold my beer".

I think the "golden age" of RVing may have ended in the summer of 2020 unless "they" start building a bunch more RV parks/spaces.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #28

I know no one likes word problems but here is one for ya... There are 16 house on my cul-de-sac and each house has 2 electric cars, The typically car requires 80 Amps for 2 hours to charge full. What happens to when everyone comes home at 6pm and attempt to recharge?

Electrification will take a lot of time...
Closed Thread

Tags
rving