Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #239

Long before any of this happens we will all be selling our beast. The mileage tax will substantially reduce the industry.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
Long before any of this happens we will all be selling our beast. The mileage tax will substantially reduce the industry.
There’s a mileage tax in the US?
Old 08-03-2021, 06:46 PM   #241

Not yet but it is in the infrastructure bill as suggested.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #242

Quote:
How does it work. I’m not American so don’t pay attention to American politics (much).
Old 08-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #243

I am not sure. It has been talked about in the past. It seem like it is gaining some traction. The new bill does have suggestions, but I am not up on the details.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #244

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Dude View Post
Unless the folks who believe climate change is a hoax and the politicians who are paid under the table by fossil fuel industries etc. change their ways we are ALL going extinct.

As a research science guy there is no question it is happening. The very frightening thing is we (the ultimate invasive species Homo sapiens) may already be beyond the tipping point.
Of course the climate is changing. All evidence points to that. But the climate has never been NOT changing, no debate about that either. But the science is so far from settled, the models used are pure junk. When corrected to forcast the past, the future predictions vary wildly. The real questions are:
1. How much of climate change is caused by man?
2. How much of it can man then control? and
3. Climate change sorta implies a point of reference where we want the climate to be, where is that and who gets to decide?

I am right now living at the bottom of a lake, about 300 feet below the surface, if you use the climate of 13,000 years ago as the reference. Do we want that? What climate is baseline and who gets to decide?

A great read is the book Unsettled. Get the perspective the climate freak-outs and carpetbaggers don't want you to know. BTW, what is the most prevalent and potent green house gas? Read the book to find out.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
How does it work. I’m not American so don’t pay attention to American politics (much).
One working thought is to replace the fuel tax with a mileage based tax, similar to what truck drivers do on commercial trucks. Long way from becoming a reality, and it seems that it's mainly focused on finding a way to tax EVs for their share of road wear since they don't pay fuel taxes.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
Old 08-03-2021, 07:57 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
One working thought is to replace the fuel tax with a mileage based tax, similar to what truck drivers do on commercial trucks. Long way from becoming a reality, and it seems that it's mainly focused on finding a way to tax EVs for their share of road wear since they don't pay fuel taxes.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:19 PM   #247

Monaco Owners Club
Holy cow Batman!!! I didn't realize this would be such a popular discussion. I feel less alone knowing that others have thought about these issues. I wish I could read all 245 replies but my rig is having electrical issues that I need to fix.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:44 AM   #248

Quote:
Let's wait and see what else is in the bill that's aimed at restricting travel.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:10 AM   #249

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
But don't you have to pass it to see what's in it?
Old 08-04-2021, 08:14 AM   #250

Winnebago Owners Club
One thing I have pondered for a while is road taxes. All agree that electric at the moment is getting a free ride on road taxes but once there is a few more electric vehicles government is going to figure out a way to tax to maintain the roads.

I wonder how or if they are going to make the roads different. Currently most are surfaced with asphalt and some are concrete. Manufacture of cement is environmentally as bad or worse than extracting oil. So I figure oil will have continue to be extracted for the heavy bitumen to resurface the roadways so electric and the remaining ICE vehicles can travel.

What are they going to do with the light components of the petroleum? Surely not inject them into the ground. There may be some talk about recycling the existing asphalt but that requires the addition of new asphalt to rejuvenate the aged and oxidized old surface.

At todays production standards there is a shortage of asphalt cement, especially the higher penetrations. Its been a few years (actually a lot) but at that time the price of a ton of asphalt was close to $1000 a ton.

So the question is: Until we convert to flying cars are we going to continue to have to produce oil?
Old 08-04-2021, 08:17 AM   #251

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
I've often wondered why the electrification of automobiles has not followed in the footsteps of the rail industry.
That is what the Chevy Volt does now. Once the charge from over night parking is depleted ( about 50 miles) it runs a small 3 cylinder engine to keep the batteries charged as you drive. That little engine gets about 450 miles on a tank of gas. It's only job is keep them batteries charged while your driving.
Same thing trains do on a much smaller scale.
To bad they did not further build and improve on it. They stopped production in 2019.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-04-2021, 08:20 AM   #252

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
LOL Paying for roads is designed to restrict travel?
Closed Thread

Tags
rving