Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Is RVing in danger of going extinct?

I ask this question from a "global climate change" perspective. The powers that be are pushing so hard for electrification of everything I'm starting to be concerned about owning a massive DP motorhome.

I'm not trying to politicize this question and do not want your political opinion.

I foresee massive spikes in fuel prices as petroleum companies are pressured to cut production or if demand just wanes because everyone is driving a Tesla. I foresee states like California out right banning older diesel vehicles just like they did to the trucking industry. Increased fuel taxes as everyone switches to electric cars or increased registration fees for older/less efficient vehicles.

I have a 2007 DP so it has no emissions except EGR so I feel like I am right in the bullseye of the target of environmentalists. They don't seem to care what they destroy in their pursuit of cutting emissions. They will destroy industries wholesale without regard for jobs, costs or even lives. CAlifornia and it's rolling blackouts is a perfect example. They don't have the capacity to provide electricity to it's citizens now but they want to close all their gas fired plants. how am i going to charge my Tesla?

FYI: My toad is a Prius so I'm not using MH to commute nor do I feel the need to drive a massive pick up truck so I'm doing my part.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2021, 02:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas121469 View Post
I ask this question from a "global climate change" perspective. The powers that be are pushing so hard for electrification of everything I'm starting to be concerned about owning a massive DP motorhome.

I'm not trying to politicize this question and do not want your political opinion.

I foresee massive spikes in fuel prices as petroleum companies are pressured to cut production or if demand just wanes because everyone is driving a Tesla. I foresee states like California out right banning older diesel vehicles just like they did to the trucking industry. Increased fuel taxes as everyone switches to electric cars or increased registration fees for older/less efficient vehicles.

I have a 2007 DP so it has no emissions except EGR so I feel like I am right in the bullseye of the target of environmentalists. They don't seem to care what they destroy in their pursuit of cutting emissions. They will destroy industries wholesale without regard for jobs, costs or even lives. CAlifornia and it's rolling blackouts is a perfect example. They don't have the capacity to provide electricity to it's citizens now but they want to close all their gas fired plants. how am i going to charge my Tesla?

FYI: My toad is a Prius so I'm not using MH to commute nor do I feel the need to drive a massive pick up truck so I'm doing my part.
Yes, November 13 2022 RV'ing is going to cease to exist.

Well unless everyone buys electric cars (Tesla is not the only electric car out there) and electric semis and then they will be giving fuel away just to get rid of it.

I'm sorry, but the world moves slower than that and I will be dead and turn to dust before all this happens and my great great great grandkids will be driving around in there solar powered magnetic hover propulsion campers, sleeping while the driverless system takes them to Yellowstone.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:58 PM   #3

Quote:
I have a 2007 DP so it has no emissions except EGR so I feel like I am right in the bullseye of the target of environmentalists. They don't seem to care what they destroy in their pursuit of cutting emissions. They will destroy industries wholesale without regard for jobs, costs or even lives.
Elected representatives and governments make the laws, not "environmentalists".
Old 07-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Is RVing in danger of going extinct?
Nope
Old 07-19-2021, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
Trying to keep the politics out of this but environmentalists are being elected. This is a big problem.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
But. They are highly paid by those environmentalists. Don't kid yourself.

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:47 PM   #7

I heard that CA is asking people to not charge their electric cars because it's to much of a drain on the already over used electric grid. And with the fires, drought and all the reservoirs are dangerously low so electric production is down.
So now what?
Old 07-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Nope
This.

Electrification of passenger automobiles will take 20-30 years, and even then there will still be some demand for fuel for classic cars and the few stragglers. Medium and heavy duty trucks are likely to take considerably longer.

As for load on the grid, as is always the case when demand exceeds supply, there will be a lag while the supply catches up because it takes time to build out new infrastructure, but with the demand comes the impetus to do that building.

None of this is going to happen overnight. There's no need to worry, panic, or do anything other than, maybe, examine one's investment portfolio with a critical eye to the future.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:10 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes, but not likely in our lifetimes. It's already crowded out there and we need to do better with the environment before the whole place goes up. The days of large RVs on the open road aren't numbered yet, but I think it's easy to foresee a world in which it will become less desirable, then not desirable, then something we only see in museums and history books. In the meantime, we're enjoying a golden age of RVing that future generations won't understand or enjoy. The rumble of a large DP as it's driver scrapes it along a truck stop bollard will eventually be something we can only imagine, but we won't be here to see it.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #10

I actually believe the class A motorhome is a great platform to build a EV but the cost and engineering to design and build is out of reach for the Rv manufacturers .If a big chassis manufacturer was willing to do the investment how long does it take to see a return? I think we are going to see some come out of Europe soon .
Old 07-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #11

Quote:

Can’t imagine they can replace a Diesel engine in an 18 wheeler with an electric motor. I love my F250 turbo diesel.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:29 PM   #12

It's too popular to fade out altogether. However the cost of fuel and tires will deter many. There is a global shortage of rubber coming and tires will be expensive and difficult to find. Won't happen immediately but over the next year or two.
Just my nickels worth.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
At 2% of the cars on the road now being electric, it will take many, many years to see the end of ICE cars.

It may get expensive to drive our rigs, but it won't stop me, or most others.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 07-19-2021, 04:57 PM   #14

Not only RVing........
Closed Thread

Tags
rving