Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2011, 01:02 AM   #15

It looks cool but then you have to have a BIG truck to pull it, unhook it, set it up, and all kinds of complicated hitches. There is no real living room or slides and you can't tow anything else, little features, no storage. No thanks, I'll keep my class A.... Maybe when I was 20 it would have been "cool".... but not now...
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
To me it all depends on where you want to go and what you want to have when you get there. The larger the rig the fewer choices you have as to where you can park. Smaller rigs can go most anywhere, larger rigs not so much. Larger rigs can carry more stuff, some of which you may never use but can't seem to part with. Smaller rigs can't always carry what you think you need but you make do.

For me a newer 30 (ish) footer MH with a livingroom/dining area slide is about all I want to deal with. Easy to deal with state parks, gas stations, smaller parking lots. Don't have any desire to go fulltime, my log cabin is small enough.

While I like the "Idea" of being able to say I own a super sized RV, I know it's not me.
For us, the key word is versatility. When we first bought our RV (after two extended vacations in rentals), we had no idea about the number of ways that we might use it. Ours is small enough that we have never had a problem taking it where we wanted and yet big enough for us to not feel cramped on extended stays.

Most of our longer trips are combinations of a lot of short stops - no more than a couple of days at a time. We did 4,400 miles in 22 days and there is no way that I would have wanted to do that hitching and unhitching an Airstream every time. Many of the sites were backins so not unhitching would not have been an option. This is not at all a knock on Airstreams and those who enjoy them. It is simply a matter of our preference.

We belong to the Texas Boomers so we often go to large CGs with them. On our own, we prefer the State Parks where the roads can be more primitive and water and electric only are a norm. We also boon dock so being self contained is a real asset and our tanks can carry us a week with careful use. We have enough space to carry along most everything that we could want from dutch ovens, to fire place tools, tables etc. I race model sailboats and taking along the boats, sails and equipment isn't a challenge with our setup.

When we bought our RV, we made a lot of conscious compromises. To this day, we don't regret any of them. There are a lot of people who have bought RVs and then either traded them or didn't use them because the RV that they picked just didn't work out for the way that they ended up trying to use it. My advice to anyone is to pick a unit that will do what you want or had the versatility to function in many ways until you do figure out how you will most enjoy it. At the end of the day, using an RV in an enjoyable way is what it is all about and we all have different tastes in that.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #17

We started out in a 19' travel trailer and enjoyed it, moved to a 32' travel trailer and couldn't wait to get rid of it. We now have a 24' Class C and love it. For us, smaller and simpler is better.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #18

We need to be in a class A for our pets but down the road I would prefer the simplicity of having a Fifth wheel. Park it in the backyard for the winter, pull the battery out and forget about it. Much simpler then the class A.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #19

Many "moons" ago we started out with a tent. Worked our way up thru the various styles and sizes to a 38ft diesel pusher very nice coach but we like to ciamp in the mtns and 38' doesn't fit too well into small campgrounds so we've now down sized to a 22' B+ and love it. don't miss the big one at all.

2003 R-Vision Trail Lite 22' B+
Reno-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #20

...and that's why there are oodles of different sizes, makes, models. We're all different and use our rigs in different ways.

We downsized to a 16' after having a 28' Holiday Alumalite for about 17 years. I don't need a truck for a tow (although hubby has one), and I don't have to mess with a lot of hookups. I can turn it by hand and place it where I want. I can use the add-a-room and sleep up to 5 comfortably with heat/AC.

For this time in my life it's perfect. Later on, more time in the camper, probably not. If we buy a larger rig, I will probably still keep the T@B.
bakerkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #21

Thumbs up

I love my 18 foot Class B. It is all I need for now. Though, I am not a heavy duty camper like most of you are (I'm jealous - ). It is so easy to drive around, park, pull into a camping spot. It is pretty much stress free. The "smallness" of it keeps us outside most of the time but is enough to sit inside and be comfortable.

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote