Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Is smaller and simpler better??? What do you think??

Good Afternoon All,

We had a lovely weekend camping but as we were exploring a neighboring campground, we noticed about 30 Airstream Campers clustered around a pavilion tent. They were having a great looking rally. As much as I love my 40 ft Revolution, sometimes thinking about traveling around in such a nostalgic looking rig makes me wonder if smaller and simpler might be better???

What do y'all think??

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi fansill,
For me the answer is no. I am not a fan of small/simple or large/complex. I am a fan of having what I need, not necessarily what I want. That is where the tough decisions are made. Right now, I need what I have. If/when my needs change so will what I own.

My wife calls this a personality defect. Being trained as an engineer and now retired, I have been known to carry logic a bit too far.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi fansill, Yeah, sometimes I get the urge to tow a small trailer behind a small truck, keepin' it small and simple. Then I fix a drink with ice from my double-door fridge with the icemaker, kick back in my comfy Lane recliner, and tune in something interesting on my 32" flatscreen. Pretty soon the urge subsides...
rewaters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not sure we would want to be less than 36' with plenty of basement----

However in our first year in the RV we camped at Morro Bay. We were next to a dinky TT pulled by a pick up (they swore it had a shower). We had the folks over for a chat---and during that time they told us of the TT, 5er, MH, bigger MH---back down to dinky history of their RV life. Not for us---but they seemed quite resolved.

Wonder where they are now-------a tent you suppose?

In Tucson this year we were interested to see a group of four of these older GMC's (cannot remember the name)----kind of a van on steroids---I thinks 70's models. They were having a wonderful time having treked from Michigan in tandem. A team effort would mean some one could have the Bar B, another the table and chairs, another the pop up shelter etc;-----they had penty of stuff. And a really good time.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Good Afternoon All,

We had a lovely weekend camping but as we were exploring a neighboring campground, we noticed about 30 Airstream Campers clustered around a pavilion tent. They were having a great looking rally. As much as I love my 40 ft Revolution, sometimes thinking about traveling around in such a nostalgic looking rig makes me wonder if smaller and simpler might be better???

What do y'all think??

Faith
Faith,
If this is the first time you have had this thought I think your comfortable with what you have and are experiencing the “grass is always greener” syndrome, we've all had it. I also think you may be a romantic at heart.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You're not alone, I can't count the times that someone has mentioned envying the ease of parking the 23 foot C I just sold. I had everything I needed. I just went one step further and replaced that with a 19 foot TT. Again it has all the space and facilitys I need and now I have the benifit of being able to leave the pups in the AC and go exploring in my tow vehicle.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
CD

That's why we have an 8 1/2' slidein. We have a choice. We can take PU W/slidein and an equipment trailer with a tractor or 2 and take one rig to a tractor show. One winter we took slidein to Arizona etc for 2 months and didn't miss the TT. Other times we take the TT and don't miss the slidein.
That's just us.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #8

Airstreams are nice TT and I have seen all airstream campgrounds, now the question is simpler better it's all personal preference. I started with a tent when I was a kid what's simpler than that. Maybe you are a little overwhelmed with your revolution. My revolution is perfect for me. There are several clubs you can join I had a HR and belong to their club and you could not ask for a nicer bunch of people.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Oh, don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my Revolution. Every second that I am in it, I keep pinching myself and wondering how I got lucky enough to own such a beautiful coach. I just saw all these small Airstreams and wondered if I could ever simplify and downsize now that I have my gorgeous rolling home.

Yes, maybe you are right...maybe I am just a romantic nomad at heart.

Faith - Tickled as a Pig in Mud with my new Revolution
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We switched from a travel trailer to a smaller class c motorhome. I got tired of backing the thing up, hooking/unhooking, leveling, w/e/s hookup, it was a hassle.
Now, if we want to go somewhere, unhook the water and electric and GO! We're on our way in 10 minutes or less. Less room? Yes, but we adapted quite well. Found out when we cleaned out the TT that we never used half the stuff stored in it anyway.
Also, we used our truck exclusively for towing, seemed to be a big waste, so sold that too.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #11

To me it all depends on where you want to go and what you want to have when you get there. The larger the rig the fewer choices you have as to where you can park. Smaller rigs can go most anywhere, larger rigs not so much. Larger rigs can carry more stuff, some of which you may never use but can't seem to part with. Smaller rigs can't always carry what you think you need but you make do.

For me a newer 30 (ish) footer MH with a livingroom/dining area slide is about all I want to deal with. Easy to deal with state parks, gas stations, smaller parking lots. Don't have any desire to go fulltime, my log cabin is small enough.

While I like the "Idea" of being able to say I own a super sized RV, I know it's not me.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
BTDT...don't want smaller and simpler any more...I like what I have.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #13

40 years ago we started with a self contained pickup camper and traveled all over the US getting about 9.5 mpg. Now we have a 40 MH and get 8.5 mpg and still travel all over the US. I do not anticipate downsizing as we spend 4-6 months a year in the MH. I like what we have and do not see changing until we can no longer camp and then we will buy a place in AZ for the winter and either MI or ME for the summer.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #14

As a youngster I started out with small and simple. Everything needed in a backpack. Now at 70 my small and simple has gotten somewhat more complicated. A 30' 5'er so I can do some of what I used to do in pure luxury as compared to years ago.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote