Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #1

Is the Camping "Family" dying off?

I've camped for many years and I recall as a kid, that when we passed another camper on the road, they ALWAYS waved. When I first married and my new wife & I only had a tent strapped to the top of our car, even the largest Class A's waved at us. We now camp in a tent with our son in Boyscouts, a pop-up with our grandson in Cubscouts and a Tiffin Class A as a family. NO ONE out-on-the-road ever waves anymore unless it's someone we know! Have times changed so much or is this something we can resurrect together?
anjsupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think it went the same way that flashing lights at a semi as they passed to let them know they were clear. The trucker would flash rear lights as a thanks. I'm lucky if one in 20 flash a thanks. It has apparently become to difficult to be courteous and return courtesy.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #3

Just the season of life the USA seems to be in...noticed the same many times on the road, all be it campground etiquette overall seems to remain very friendly, for the most part, with most neighbors being very helpful and engaging...
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
I think it went the same way that flashing lights at a semi as they passed to let them know they were clear. The trucker would flash rear lights as a thanks. I'm lucky if one in 20 flash a thanks. It has apparently become to difficult to be courteous and return courtesy.
Funny enough, 1st mo. out on the road, noticed very same thing...got to the point now that I seldom do it, unless I discern someone tailgating the 18 wheeler and he is in a hurry to move over...
Old 08-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
It's a different breed of trailer jockey now. When I was a trailer driver years ago it didn't matter who flashed the lights to let me back in, I ALWAYS acknowledged with a quick light toggle. But old habits die hard and I still flash my lights to let anyone hauling a trailer or a MH back in. If I kept count I'd have to agree that just one in 20 flash back. The same holds true with oncoming campers, I wave and most don't wave back. Rest assured I'll be waving at you guys.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #6

Thanks Gadget63. Maybe you & I can resurrect the "wave" together; because I don't intend to stop waving at my fellow campers either.
anjsupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #7

Even the "Bikers Wave" is dying out. Less and less Bikers waving at each other nowadays.
I used to wave at fellow Jeepers when I had a Jeep.
I had noticed Vette owners wave at other Vette owners. VW Bug owners wave at other Bug owners.
I think the wave started dyeing with Hummer owners. The early ones were too good to acknowledge other Hummer owners.

I wave at fellow RVers when towing the TT, otherwise, I get wierd looks. Kind of like what I give when someone I don't know waves at me when I am riding my bike.
I flash my lights for those towing - weather 18 wheeler or lawn trailer - when they clear the front of my vehicle when passing. "Thank You" flashes are about 1 in 5 for me. Must be the area.
Anyway, I'll wave, wierd looks back at me or a wave back....
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #8

On our travels we do our best to signal trucks and rvs as they pass. Thank you signals are not expected but appreciated. When passing vehicles and put the turn signal on to re-enter the lane, I hope the passed vehicle sees the intention and signals it is safe. Does not always happen, but when it does, I appreciate the courtesy and concern for safety.

If we keep signaling, with or without a response, someone will see what happened and try it themselves.

Why stop if it it makes traveling safer?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Anjsupply, welcome to the forum. Let's not be too hard on the long haulers. These signals, like the lighthouses, were designed and implimented for a different time and road condition. It was very important back in the old two lane days with lots of hills and curves where passing distances were often short and little other than natural light was available to be able to assist passing drivers with the blinking and use of the headlights. Now on 4-8 lane superslabs usually well lighted and all traffic going in the same direction, it is not as critical to need others to assist in the passing and letting you know when your clear. Most trucks allow a lot more room than they did back in the old two lane days before pulling back into the the lane, if they do. Remember back then, a lot of cars and trucks didn't even have turn signals on them. We could see to wave a passing cars because they passed with 4 feet of us rather than across a divided highway. A lot of the time you can't even see the people in the opposing traffic until they come abreast of you. The friendly people are still out there. We meet them all the time. It just more difficult to ackknowledge it while passing on the road.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Us British sportscar owners ALWAYS wave at each other when we pass. More of a "you're just as crazy as I am" kind of wave.
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to agree with "historyljc" to a certain degree about the more sophisticated trucks and modern roads, but will also say that a LOT of the long haul drivers do not speak English as their first language! Even though they don't need my flash to pull back in, they could respond out of couteousy.

Courteous drivers.....now that's a new concept......maybe it could catch on.....nah.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjsupply View Post
I've camped for many years and I recall as a kid, that when we passed another camper on the road, they ALWAYS waved. When I first married and my new wife & I only had a tent strapped to the top of our car, even the largest Class A's waved at us. We now camp in a tent with our son in Boyscouts, a pop-up with our grandson in Cubscouts and a Tiffin Class A as a family. NO ONE out-on-the-road ever waves anymore unless it's someone we know! Have times changed so much or is this something we can resurrect together?

Not sure where you live, but I live in the south; Virgina. Waving is just a thing we all do here. I haven't seen it on the decline. There are a few you see who look to serious and busy to do so, but here most people if you catch their eye smile and wave.

I know I do whether I get a smile back or not.
JadedDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don
I'm going to agree with "historyljc" to a certain degree about the more sophisticated trucks and modern roads, but will also say that a LOT of the long haul drivers do not speak English as their first language! Even though they don't need my flash to pull back in, they could respond out of couteousy.

Courteous drivers.....now that's a new concept......maybe it could catch on.....nah.
Didn't know you needed to speak English to understand flashing lights. I'm confused.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
My thoughts on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallock5 View Post
Funny enough, 1st mo. out on the road, noticed very same thing...got to the point now that I seldom do it, unless I discern someone tailgating the 18 wheeler and he is in a hurry to move over...
I was talking to an x-trucker one day and this subject came up about flashing the lights and she told me that the trainers discourage the practice these days because of insurance issues. Seems that if you say their truck is clear then you are responsible for an accident if there is one. When I lived in KY everyone waved to everybody if you knew them or not! Guess they hadn't heard about the insurance problem.

Tags
camping