Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 09:06 AM   #1

Is there a difference and electrical tape?

I was in the need of using some electrical tape yesterday and I had to go to the store to buy some. Then it dawned on me is there one kind of electrical tape more superior than the other? Never thought about it and when I asked the salesman he had no idea.
Pslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 09:13 AM   #2

I favor Scotch 33+ for general use. There's all kinds though. Visit a store where the electricians buy their supplies and they'll have more kinds of tape that you can shake a stick at. I avoid cheap stuff, it always unsticks and starts to unravel later.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #3

There is absolutely a BIG difference in electrical tape. 99% of professional use the Scotch 33+. Buying cheap electrical tape is like buying cheap batteries at Horrible Freight. Totally useless.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:26 AM   #4

Electrical tape use to be like bread.....just a couple of choices

Now there are Many types/choices
Vinyl, Rubber & Mastic are the basics
Vinyl is the most effective and widely used material in making tapes. *Used as the outer layer of insulation as they are long-lasting and very flexible.

Rubber tapes are generally non-adhesive and are used as an effective moisture barrier and offer great electrical insulation.

Mastic used to create sealing/insulation layers

Colors........like the rainbow
Black most widely used....standard electrical tape
Other Colors designate Voltage and Phase of wiring being taped
Low Voltage ----Black/A, Red/, Blue/C
High Voltage ---Brown/A, Orange/B, Yellow/C
Green ----Ground
Green/White Stripe---Isolated Ground
White ---Low Voltage Neutral
Grey ----High Voltage Neutral

Black vinyl is what would be typically used by regular folks
Corse there are Numerous styles/brands of Black Vinyl tape
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:30 AM   #5

Also some varieties meant for use as a 'liner' under the vinyl tape. If you are going to need to remove the tape in the future, it's possible to wrap the first few wraps around the bare wires with the adhesive facing out, then continue as usual. This prevents the adhesive from gumming up the works when the tape is removed later on.

1974 GMC 4108 - Custom Coach Conversion
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:36 AM   #6

There are differences in the plastics used and the adhesives. Some plastics are more stretchy than others, some more brittle. Some stretch very little but very strong. A couple examples;
Scotch 33 is used widely for general purpose. Not too stretchy, good adhesive stays put.. 88T is used in the telecom industry for low voltage apps, stretchy and is easily removed for reentry.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:44 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
There is absolutely a BIG difference in electrical tape. 99% of professional use the Scotch 33+. Buying cheap electrical tape is like buying cheap batteries at Horrible Freight. Totally useless.
Totally agree!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #8

As a mechanic by day, I absolutely hate electrical tape!!! If leaves a sticky nasty residue on everything and if it gets any oil or other chemicals on it, it makes it even worse to deal with.
If something I am doing requires tape, I use silicone self vulcanizing tape. And once you get use to using it you can make a water tight wrap with it and it holds up very well.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...rescuetape.php
2Curtass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
I agree about the batteries. Tape though, I use electrical tape for more than just electrical stuff. The cheap tape works great for taping together things you want to stay together for the short term. For instance, I use it to tape my home made kayak racks to my luggage rack on top of the car. It's easy to use, strong, won't come loose, and is fairly easy to remove when I want to remove the carrier.

For actual electrical usage, I like the Scotch 33 as well since I know it's pliable, goes on tight, and ain't coming loose!
Old 03-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Curtass View Post
As a mechanic by day, I absolutely hate electrical tape!!! If leaves a sticky nasty residue on everything and if it gets any oil or other chemicals on it, it makes it even worse to deal with.
If something I am doing requires tape, I use silicone self vulcanizing tape. And once you get use to using it you can make a water tight wrap with it and it holds up very well.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...rescuetape.php

This is why putting the first few wraps on inside-out makes a difference. It prevents that gooey mess from being on the bare wires and doesn't get in the way of making a permanent repair at some point in the future.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:23 PM   #11

Scotch 33 is used a lot in the construction industry.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:45 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow. This was quite an education. I will be ordering Scotch 33.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #13

There are actually quite a few options in the 3M line of electrical tapes.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...94857497&rt=r3

This is one of my favorites, especially when I am wrapping something which will need to be uncovered in the future. This also makes a good first layer when wrapping things which would poke out through the vinyl tape if used by itself.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3786499&rt=rud

Old 03-02-2021, 05:22 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
If it says 3M on it's good. I use the Scotch 33+.

Tags
electric, electrical