Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #43

Francesca, he said the reason they put 5 up there, is cause some people are the Presidents of the More Money Than Brains dept.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
A very good friend of mine installs those a/cs in the bigger mohos. I showed him this thread and he fell out laughing.

He didnt tell me what they are for, but boy did he llaugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
When he stops laughing, could you ask him???
I'm actually pretty curious- seems like a regular refrigeration unit or something central with ducting would be more efficient on these great big rigs.
Or maybe something that's mounted out of the blazing sun...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Francesca, he said the reason they put 5 up there, is cause some people are the Presidents of the More Money Than Brains dept.
Well- he's the expert, right?
Guess he's still laughing- all the way to the bank!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:46 AM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Brian, you are seriously over-analyzing everything here. We all know there could be some legitimate, health related need for it. Doesn't mean we can't joke about it in general.

As Mick's buddy said, some people have more money than brains, and that can easily trump anything else. Rich man decides he wants a MH. Doesn't know a thing about them. Drives his fancy little sports car into the lot *insert dealers eyes turning into cash symbols*. Easily convinces the guy that "This one" is the absolute best, and for $$$ more money, he can install AC units where all the vents are, ensuring that you never get too warm. Oh, and it will cost $$ to get a generator large enough to run them as well as all of your other "necessities."

Before getting all uppity over responses to this level of throwing money away, try reading this article I just saw tonight:
America's city of broken dreams: 50 jobless and destitute people set up forest community on New York's doorstep | Mail Online

Heck, we are living in a 33 year old MH without any AC at all, and you are ranting about a few people making light of having 5?

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive anyway.
SyrenSkywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #46

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I hear that some motor homes are used as, uh, "massage palors". That might require more cool air.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #47

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrenSkywolf View Post
Brian, you are seriously over-analyzing everything here. We all know there could be some legitimate, health related need for it. Doesn't mean we can't joke about it in general.

As Mick's buddy said, some people have more money than brains, and that can easily trump anything else. Rich man decides he wants a MH. Doesn't know a thing about them. Drives his fancy little sports car into the lot *insert dealers eyes turning into cash symbols*. Easily convinces the guy that "This one" is the absolute best, and for $$$ more money, he can install AC units where all the vents are, ensuring that you never get too warm. Oh, and it will cost $$ to get a generator large enough to run them as well as all of your other "necessities."

Before getting all uppity over responses to this level of throwing money away, try reading this article I just saw tonight:
America's city of broken dreams: 50 jobless and destitute people set up forest community on New York's doorstep | Mail Online

Heck, we are living in a 33 year old MH without any AC at all, and you are ranting about a few people making light of having 5?

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive anyway.

Lets hope the "class envy" a lot of high officials are spewing is not starting to trickle down. People are trying to make others feel guilty for doing what they want to do with their money. "you shouldn't fly around in your jets wasting fuel,going to Vegas" Sound familiar?

I keep my rig in my front yard ,the temp is set at 80 degrees ,a friend said "isn't that wasting money when you are not in it?" I said YES.

Be glad that the person making the ac units has a job,and the person who bought it is having a good time in it.
JMHO

Wayne
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #48

Those are tour Buses carrying band members and they all have separate rooms
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #49

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would think the real answer is zone cooling, with more A/C's you can do a far better job of uniform cooling of the RV and/or set up multiple zones of different cooling.

I assume these are smaller than the average A/C (perhpas say 500 BTU instead off 1,350)

The thing I wonder about is this:

I've been to campground where it is say (I'm grabbing numbers out of thin air here)

30 dollars a night plus 10 bucks a night for each air conditioner.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't think my roof has the room for or will support 5 ACs and I know I don't have the power for them, but I sure wouldn't mind having one more. If I could afford the high end bus you better believe it would have 5 on it. I'd have that sucker like a meat locker - until BJ woke up and turned them all off. Her thermostat is set different than mine. I think it's a woman thing.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
I don't think my roof has the room for or will support 5 ACs and I know I don't have the power for them, but I sure wouldn't mind having one more. If I could afford the high end bus you better believe it would have 5 on it. I'd have that sucker like a meat locker - until BJ woke up and turned them all off. Her thermostat is set different than mine. I think it's a woman thing.
It is. I had a loaner car once and it had duel airs. I was thinking this should work out great. WELL, we took off on a trip, I had my control set on 70, I had no idea what my wife had hers set on. but things were getting warmer so I turned mine down some more. By the time we got to our destination I had mine as low as it would go and my wifes was as high as it would go and IT WAS STILL 72 IN THE CAR.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I hear that some motor homes are used as, uh, "massage palors". That might require more cool air.
I recall that scene, from "Smoky and the Bandit"!!!
Available on DVD now ya know, classic reynolds.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Picture this, Willie puffin a doobie, whilst wearing a girdle, in his travelin meat market. He's a cool dude. Some of us could take a page of that book!!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I could use them when we visit the in laws in Florida but wouldn't let me turn them on. Here in Alaska if find mid 70s to be too hot, DW thinks 90s is comfortable and she find 60s a reason to put on hat and coat.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Not sure about 5 a/c units, lots of good reasons and some funny reasons too.

What I did learn here reading this thread:

All I am sure of is that some people are offended by nothing and they are capable of arguing about almost anything.

Can't imagine that any of the funny answers were intended to be hurtful.

Sure hope this is not an indication that once retired, life's satisfaction is found flaming each other here.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
The coaches that you see with 5 A/C units on the roof are almost always entertainer coaches. Yes, believe it or not, they need 5 units to keep the coach comfortable. There are generally a lot of folks on board and a lot of folks coming and going and they need that much A/C to stay comfortable.
We do work for Willie Nelson and I can tell you that they like it cool inside. Willie actually has 2 20K generators as they want ensured redundancy. The gen's run 24/7 while they are on the road (over 250 days a year the last time I checked). There are 2 drivers on board (one driving, one sleeping), Willie, Lana (his daughter and publicist) and David his tour manager. Of course, he also has 2 (or 3?) other buses for the rest of the band and crew as well as a tractor-trailer for the equipment.
I can tell you that this is one very tough life-style and if cool is what you want, 5 A/C's on the roof is what you need.
+1 for above.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote