Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2022, 04:00 PM   #1

Is there a tendency for these WINDOWS to leak?

I have siliconed the entire slide out, thickly, and I am still getting wet carpet, but only under this window. I have siliconed completely around the window, and removed it and replaced the seal between it and the outer wall.

Before I build a cover for the entire slide, is it possible or feasible for the window to be leaking withing the frame?

If so, where should I apply sealant on the window to keep my floors dry?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	354302  
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2022, 06:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Most of our windows in our coach are this style. We do have a couple smaller ones the slide up.

We don't have a problem with them leaking, there should be weep holes along the bottom, are they plugged?
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look at pulling the window completely out and rebed in a butyl bedding tape. Next look at the vertical flange and reseal and reset the screws. Carefully review and seal as needed the flange and tape along the bottom edge of the slide. Also carefull check the seals in the bottom corners of the slide and the RV.

We have a Schwintek slide that leaks into the main floor. There is a seal pan in the corner that appears to be damaged. To repair the seal, it is 32 hours of labor to pull the slide, repair and reset the slide. It was cheaper to add a Carefree SOK III slide out cover that stopped the leak.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Before I build a cover for the entire slide, is it possible or feasible for the window to be leaking withing the frame?
Don't quote me on this but I don't think the frame is made up of just one piece. Rather it may be pieces welded together. If so, then I'd bet it's possible a weld has cracked. This may be allowing any water that penetrates between the rubber and the glass to run through the crack. Again, just guessing.

You said that you siliconed the entire slide so I'm taking it that you used that to seal the edge and corners up on top of the slide. Although I'm not sure silicone is the best product to use for this, it still should stop the leaking for now.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:37 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Make sure it is the window. I would tape some toilet paper under the window on the inside. See if it gets wet. On the outside, tape over the flange and see if it still gets wet. At our dealership we had very few window leaks. Most of the time it was leaking elsewhere and running under the window. Most slide out leaks we had were at the angle aluminum at the inner flange or outer flange.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Look at pulling the window completely out and rebed in a butyl bedding tape. Next look at the vertical flange and reseal and reset the screws. Carefully review and seal as needed the flange and tape along the bottom edge of the slide. Also carefull check the seals in the bottom corners of the slide and the RV.

We have a Schwintek slide that leaks into the main floor. There is a seal pan in the corner that appears to be damaged. To repair the seal, it is 32 hours of labor to pull the slide, repair and reset the slide. It was cheaper to add a Carefree SOK III slide out cover that stopped the leak.

Ken
^^^^This

I've also started using a combination of both butyl tape and butyl caulk.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:51 AM   #7

I have already taken the window out, replaced the entire seal, and replaced the window, then sealed the entire outside of the window, so if the window is leaking, it is not leaking from outside, but rather from inside the frame somewhere.

The leak holes are clear, and the frame on the inside is dry.

The wall on the inside is dry.

It is leaking INSIDE the wall, and only coming out once it hits my carpet under the window, which is why I am wondering about the window frame itself leaking.

I have the materials to build a solid "slide out cover" for that entire slide, but if it is the window leaking, I worry that any rain being blown against the window will still leak inside the wall.

I have been dealing with leaks on EVERY slideout wall in this trailer. All have been treated to the same treatment, as outlined above. This one continues to get VERY wet even in light rain. So if I don't find a window fix, I will build that slideout cover this weekend, and wait for the next round of rain.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:57 AM   #8

If those windows have drains in the bottom track and you siliconed them shut water will overflow in the track and run down inside the wall.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:02 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I feel your pain. Leaks are hard to cure sometimes. They become a challenge to solve and drive you crazy.

Since you have already removed the window and resealed it, the weep holes are open, and you put new butyl tape around it. my guess is that the water is coming from somewhere else.

You can tape off the entire frame face outside with painters tape, and test it with a light spray of water to see if that's it. Likewise do the same thing inside the window for condensation dripping into the wall. If no water shows, then test other areas of hardware attachment to the slide, like the tracks and roofing attachments at the seals along the top near the frame.

Is this a Schwintec slide? Water can weep into the track area if not sealed properly.

How much water do you think is getting on the carpet? I have these windows in our slide and they do not leak. I don't think they are by default prone to leak.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:34 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
I have already taken the window out, replaced the entire seal, and replaced the window, then sealed the entire outside of the window, so if the window is leaking, it is not leaking from outside, but rather from inside the frame somewhere.

The leak holes are clear, and the frame on the inside is dry.

The wall on the inside is dry.

It is leaking INSIDE the wall, and only coming out once it hits my carpet under the window, which is why I am wondering about the window frame itself leaking.

I have the materials to build a solid "slide out cover" for that entire slide, but if it is the window leaking, I worry that any rain being blown against the window will still leak inside the wall.

I have been dealing with leaks on EVERY slideout wall in this trailer. All have been treated to the same treatment, as outlined above. This one continues to get VERY wet even in light rain. So if I don't find a window fix, I will build that slideout cover this weekend, and wait for the next round of rain.
Since you said every slide-out wall, have you checked the top of the slide to make sure there is no issues there? Chance there is an issue there and the water is running down and around the window. Just a thought.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:19 AM   #11

Let me toss this out there...

Several months ago, something fell between the slide and the inside wall (my wife puts decorations and other items up there for display). I slid the slide in about 6" to get the item out, and slid it back out all the way.

Is there a chance that moving it a little may have affected the flap-seals and created a leak? If so, would that water appear only under that window area?
I think there is another seal besides the flappy ones, more like a "bead" that goes around the entire wall and ceiling of the slide, so I "assumed" that this would not be an issue. But at this point, trying to attack all possible leak sources.

The amount of water we got on the floor one time was enough to fill a rental steam cleaner half way, so maybe a half gallon to a gallon in the carpet, just under the window (and seeping toward the middle of the slide floor). WAY more than just condensation, and we run a dehumidifier all the time at 50%.

I did not catch it because it is the office-desk area and I keep a plastic sheet on the floor so my office chair doesn't destroy the carpet, and it was SATURATED once I realized that it had been leaking.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:58 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You most likely damaged the slide seals or framing enough to cause water to bypass them.

That is a lot of water that got inside. You are on the right track to repair it fast since that amount of water will rot your slide floor for sure. Then you into big $$ for repairs.

Go out at night and shine a flashlight into the seal area top and sides and see if you can see the light on the other side.

I would have a tech come out and evaluate it if it were mine.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:09 AM   #13
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I had the exact issue with water leaking from a window. After chasing all the other possibilities I removed the slide topper and discovered a cut in the top of the slide. It is my belief one of the Monaco "techs" cut the slide but of course no proof. I taped the cut then coated the tape with Dicor and this stopped the leak. This was over 10 years ago and my fix is still working.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post

I would have a tech come out and evaluate it if it were mine.

Who would I call to do this kind of work? I found another wet spot under another window in the opposite slide, and now I am finished wasting my time and messing with it.

I am ready to hire it out. What kind of "tech" should I be contacting to identify and repair this issue?

Tags
leak, wind, window