Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2021, 06:47 PM   #1

Is there any real difference in electrical outlets or switches in the Trailer

I have to replace an outlet in the Trailer talking AC outlet. Do I need to buy one made for an RV or can I use a residential one for your home. It seems to me a one that you find in your home is more robust than The one that is installed in the Trailer.
Pslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2021, 06:54 PM   #2

get a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pslif View Post
I have to replace an outlet in the Trailer talking AC outlet. Do I need to buy one made for an RV or can I use a residential one for your home. It seems to me a one that you find in your home is more robust than The one that is installed in the Trailer.
most all the 110/120 ac stuff in your trailer or rv is household industrial common apparatus, I'm sure the 49cent bulk bin ones from the big box stores will be fine... but go ahead and get the better quality that are usually under $2 and have the full metal back strap and better connections... you can even get hospital grade outlets.. (much harder to unplug) most all of them have rear stab-locks... jmho
ponytl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:01 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That all depends.....You will need to remove the plug and look at it. Some of the RV plugs are self contained meaning they do not require an electrical box. They usually just use press electrical connectors, which I personally do not like, but they are then totally contained and include two small tabs (shown in picture white and located on the lower corner) that hold the plug in-place. I know when I remodeled a coach, I added residential existing construction shallow boxes then used standard receptacles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVPlug.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	350306  
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:27 PM   #4

In my experience you can use the 110 from the big box stores. I just added a new outlet in our motorhome this summer. No problems, I actually prefer the normal house style.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:30 PM   #5

I agree, pull the cover to see if there's a box.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #6

When I opened up a receptacle in my Hitchhiker, it had the "RV" style receptacle. The romex that feeds that receptacle would have been too short to install a shallow box and a standard receptacle.

Tim
Old 12-02-2021, 07:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
When I opened up a receptacle in my Hitchhiker, it had the "RV" style receptacle.
Just for the record, it is not an unique "RV Style" receptacle. It's a standard, NEC-approved outlet type called "Self-contained". You don't see them much in homes or offices because they are designed for shallow-wall installations. RVs and older manufactured homes used them a lot. Ditto for modular office partitions and other construction where there isn't room for the more common full-depth box & outlet.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:55 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The "punch-down" outlets used in RV's need to be banned. So should the stab holes in common residential/commercial fixtures. They all employ high resistance minimal contact connections that fail whenever higher loads are plugged in. The reason so many wary people upgrade and use the binding screws while doing so.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
The "punch-down" outlets used in RV's need to be banned. So should the stab holes in common residential/commercial fixtures. They all employ high resistance minimal contact connections that fail whenever higher loads are plugged in. The reason so many wary people upgrade and use the binding screws while doing so.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
I do believe that if they are as bad as you say they would be banned.

My house used stab wire receptcals and in 30 years only had one fail. Didn't burn, just lost down stream outlets.

Had RVs thru the years and never had one fail.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had 2 fail in the Tiffin Allegro 31IA. Neighbor had one burn in his 5th wheel. Others on IRV2 have reported similar. Had a stick house in Neshaminy valley that had stabbed outlets and switches. So did all the neighbors. After one place burned down the electricians descended into the valley.
Some of the threads here have involved posters having difficulties with their home based shore power connections to 15 and 20 amp outlets that were merely stabbed.
As always, your results may vary.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:53 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio44718 View Post
That all depends.....You will need to remove the plug and look at it. Some of the RV plugs are self contained meaning they do not require an electrical box. They usually just use press electrical connectors, which I personally do not like, but they are then totally contained and include two small tabs (shown in picture white and located on the lower corner) that hold the plug in-place. I know when I remodeled a coach, I added residential existing construction shallow boxes then used standard receptacles.

Yup, this. I've replaced a few of them and the self contained ones can be hard to work with. Haven't had a problem changing them to receptacles that aren't the self contained kind. We've upgraded a few to add USB charging ports, but they take up some depth that the self contained ones don't. Gotta open it up to have a peek and then decide. Don't lose the little wings inside the wall though.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytl View Post
most all the 110/120 ac stuff in your trailer or rv is household industrial common apparatus, I'm sure the 49cent bulk bin ones from the big box stores will be fine... but go ahead and get the better quality that are usually under $2 and have the full metal back strap and better connections... you can even get hospital grade outlets.. (much harder to unplug) most all of them have rear stab-locks... jmho
I'm familiar with hospital grade outlets. They're definitely heavy duty with firm tension. For that reason, I can't think of many places to use one in cheaply paneled, thin walls that most RVs have. I can see it loosening and/or being ripped right out after a few times of use.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I'm familiar with hospital grade outlets. They're definitely heavy duty with firm tension. For that reason, I can't think of many places to use one in cheaply paneled, thin walls that most RVs have. I can see it loosening and/or being ripped right out after a few times of use.
I would think for items that stay plugged in refrig, microwave...anything that might would come loose during travels I use them often where i do not intend for them ever to be unplugged except for service... this is the self contained https://www.ebay.com/itm/193187717069
ponytl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, switch, trailer