Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2019, 06:27 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a good plan to me. A friend told me about a couple of campgrounds in LA (lower Alabama)that would store your TT and move it in and out for you.I forget what the monthly rate was but it was reasonable.Just give them notice and it would be set up when you get there.You might be able to get the same service.
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2019, 06:57 AM   #16

Met some folks here in Miami Everglades Resort that did what you propose.

They bought a new trailer and had the dealer deliver it to the a reserved, waiting site.

When they leave, they will have it moved to storage. That part was open ended, when I talked to them, but it shouldn't be to hard to find someone to move it onsite.

There are plenty of RV movers, moving park models all of the time.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:11 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
People that transport RV's generally charge $1.60 to $1.80 a mile. I'm sure with a high concentration of RV's in both FL. and NC. there are people locally who do it for less. This way you don't have to rent a truck, and pay for the gas to move it...

Yes, even finding a winter spot in Florida during the winter months will be a challenge if you are looking to do it under $600 a month...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:08 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

It's not stupid if it works for you. Just noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:13 AM   #19

A TT would be easier to get moved.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:29 AM   #20
YC1

Sounds like a plan. Find an RV mover to haul it for you. You won't need to develop experience and the hassle of trying to find something you can rent to tow one.

I suspect trying to rent a truck to tow an RV might be a hard to find thing. There are people that do this for a living.

My grandson has had his TT moved three times now and they did a great job. Same person too.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:34 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ68 View Post
Is this a stupid idea ?
Thanks, CJ
Short answer = NO its not.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:50 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
What a stupid idea!
Who would think of such an arrangement?

Ok, just wanted to cause a stir, Go for it, if it works out, great, if not many TT can be towed with a 1/2 ton truck and many now of days are as nice as the nicest cars and ride smooth. Welcome to the forum where there is lots of information and usually a wise guy in the bunch.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:02 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ68 View Post
Hello, I am a new member and this is my first post and first question. We are retired and are thinking about buying either a travel trailer or a fifth wheel. We want to spend three winter months in Florida and three fall months in North Carolina. We will spend the remaining months at our home here in Ohio. We will only keep the camper in Florida and North Carolina. At this time we will rent a truck to move the trailer once or twice each year. We will not use the trailer to travel in. We will stay in two specific campgrounds. When we are home we will keep our trailer in storage at those two campgrounds. At a later time we may decide to buy a truck and travel some, but for now we just want to divide our time in specific locations in Ohio, Florida, and North Carolina. Is this a stupid idea ?
Thanks, CJ
I think people are literally confused as to what aspect of this you think is a stupid idea?

If you're asking about living in trailer, this is not a place that's going to criticize that decision. Just shop around and find the best deal on the trailer that meets your needs.

If you're asking about buying a trailer without owning a vehicle to tow it, you need to figure out for yourself whether that makes sense but the questions you need to ask yourself are pretty simple...

How much does it cost to rent a truck vs. own a truck (probably cheaper to rent if you're using it fewer than 50 days a year)? Will the campgrounds we stay at let us have the trailer there without the truck (probably, but not always depending on your unit)? What do we do in case of emergency?

So no I don't think it's a stupid idea.
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:03 AM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless you can rent a truck from a commercial vehicle rental place that allows trailer pulling, you would most likely be in violation of the rental agreement. It states this on the contract you sign.

UHaul is a good example....you can tow a trailer behind their moving trucks, but it must be rented and contracted that way at the dealer.

I know of no companies that rent pickups with a fifth wheel hitch installed.

Hiring a recreational vehicle mover would be best. There are a few private RV resorts in California that will move the trailer to their storage lot, place it on your rental space when you return to visit again. Approximately $150 month + $70 moving fee. Less than $2000/year...cheaper than truck payments.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #25

No it is not a stupid idea. Maybe a great way for you to get used to dealing with an RV before you get the urge to go somewhere else

We know a couple that have a trailer that they store at their favorite campground. They have bought a bigger truck to move a bigger trailer...probably a 5th wheel. Right now the truck does farm work and every month moves the trailer to a reserved site, they camp for a couple weeks, then back into storage and two more weeks out for another two weeks. So from March to November, they are living in the RV for half the month Confused yet? They're not
Old 01-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #26

I would absolutely say GO FOR IT, GOD BLESS, AND HAVE GREAT SAFE, HAPPY, AND HEALTHY TRAVELS!!!

The one thing you might consider is hiring someone, an experienced RV'er to Transport your RV to/from the Carolinas to Florida since, in the big picture", it's really not all that far!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #27

Ok, I checked with Enterprise and they definitely rent trucks to pull campers. Although, they don't have equipment set up for Fifth Wheels. They have both diesel and gas trucks. That's ok because we are leaning towards a TT. I have studied campgrounds in Florida a little. I have found a couple around $600 month. That fits our budget. But the nicer resort types are closer to $900. That is more than I am willing to spend. We are going to visit several campgrounds in the Daytona / Palm Coast area starting next week while we are in Florida. The campgrounds in North Carolina seem to be much more reasonable on monthly rates.
Again, thank you all for your feedback and support. And a quick shout out to the folks form Northeast Ohio. (We are neighbors)
Thanks ! CJ
CJ68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:25 PM   #28

Great idea for you! You mentioned Enterprise. Best that you check out what kind of towing setup they have for their trucks. Think 'safety'.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote