Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2022, 07:35 PM   #29

I have never seen that up here...ever. I am happy to hear about the going back to Mexico part.
Tarcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2022, 07:42 PM   #30

Last I knew a police officer has the right to park an unsafe vehicle until it is made safe. It seems to me that if the police were really interested in stopping these disasters waiting to happen they could park the rigs and make the drivers come back with proper equipment to retrieve their vehicles. Since most of these folks probably don't have the right equipment handy they would lose their vehicles to the towing company and it would stop this nonsense, but I've been wrong before.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:52 PM   #31

What I find interesting is the vehicle on the dolly is being towed with the rear axle on the dolly but it’s a front-wheel drive vehicle. I assume it must be a manual transmission but why not tow it with the front axle on the dolly? -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 05:54 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Know of at least 2 body shops around here that do it. No where near Mexico, more like 30 miles from Canada. They buy rust free cars (rust is a big problem around here). Repair them when shops are slow on insurance work. Sell them on there car lot next to the shop. Both are well know as a good place to get a good rust free used car. Lots of teen's first cars come from there.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:20 AM   #33

We see these (and worse) Up and down I20 in Texas. They make me nervous with parts flapping and hanging. I get around them or away from them.
Bigtoado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
On a trip from Greensbro NC to New Orleans area yesterday we saw this:

Attachment 361155

A mini van towing 2 cars, one with a hitch and one with a dolly. No apparent auxiliary braking other than maybe surge on dolly. This was in Georgia near the Flying J in Carnesville.

Several people have told me this is legal in Georgia, South Carolina, Texas and other states.

I don’t see how this could be legal. The max tow on the minivan in the photo is probably less than 4,000 pounds. The two vehicles I I tow probably weigh 8,000 - 9,000 pounds total with hitches and dolly.

While at the Flying J, four of these combinations were in line to get gas. One of the tow cars had been in a wreck and had the crumpled hood wired down to stay shut. One of the combinations was dragging metal on the road hanging off one of the wrecked toads.

These four setups were blocking several of the pumps and one was had to detach and drop the two toads in the pump bay for some reason.

While all this was going on a State Trooper pulled in to the parking lot near a local Sheriff’s car. Neither of them paid any attention to the circus. Later while on the road the combination pictured passed me doing about 70 mph. At least he wasn’t speeding. No way he could have stopped that mess in a hard break situation.

Another day in the life of RVing.
very common in Texas
Arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:56 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
On a recent trip on I 10 to California and back to Florida we saw dozens of these “Mexican Freight Trains”. Both East and West of San Antonio, where I believe is the place they head further South From. (Although I have no firsthand knowledge of their destination. I commented to my Wife about the increasing number of them even pulling two cars with all four down (using two tow bars). I cannot see how they can be operating safely. In West Texas we were dealing with significant cross winds and one group passed us (we were running 65) going at least 75 mph and most of them were all over both lanes as they passed me. I saw them coming on my left due to the erratic behavior and I moved as far right as I could to ensure they didn’t sideswipe my coach. I did see other groups that were either struggling to go up the taller hills, or going slower to avoid loss of control on the downhill.
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:21 PM   #36

Just about anything is legal in the deep south.
Useitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 04:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
It is sometimes called a Mexico Road Train
That's not a road train, this is a road train!

tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote