Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #1

Is this where your toilet smell is coming from?

There is a hole in my toilet. Probably every other RV toilet has one too. I'm talking about the 1/2" or so hole under the bowl fill nozzle. I believe this is to prevent overfilling the bowl.
This hole has to lead to the black water tank so the water doesn't go onto the floor. I can't see into the hole so I don't know if there is or is not some sort of check valve in the tube or channel leading from the opening to the tank.
If there is no check valve why wouldn't fumes from the tank rise and travel throughout the camper? I read all the time about cures for smelly sewage tanks but are we really fighting a losing battle?
I have owned and used campers since 1977 and today is the first time I really looked at that hole.
Lynn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #2

i was wondering the same thing on my toilet. after doing some research. i think your right about it being a overflow tube. it has a trap in it also . as long as it has water in it should be fine.
nomad95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad95 View Post
i was wondering the same thing on my toilet. after doing some research. i think your right about it being a overflow tube. it has a trap in it also . as long as it has water in it should be fine.
If there is a trap in the tube wouldn't it have to be winterized along with the rest of the system?
Lynn
Old 07-10-2016, 09:01 PM   #4
Community Moderator

i planned to work on my toilet tomorrow, this came right in time. i'll have a close look.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #5

The toilet bowl seals come in two forms. One with the extra hole and one without. My toilet doesn't have the hole you are talking about so if it overflows I guess I have water all over. But, I also don't get a black tank odor. You could replace the seals with the one without the extra hole and solve the problem.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
The toilet bowl seals come in two forms. One with the extra hole and one without. My toilet doesn't have the hole you are talking about so if it overflows I guess I have water all over. But, I also don't get a black tank odor. You could replace the seals with the one without the extra hole and solve the problem.
I am not having an odor problem but it seems as though many folks do have.
I have found keeping the tank(s) clean is the best chance to keep odors at bay. I do use chemicals as insurance and use water softener and detergent to keep the tanks clean and the sensors functioning properly.
If someone does have a partially full black tank, the toilet valve is sealing properly and the vent is working properly there shouldn't be any odor coming from the tank. My question was could the odor be coming from that overflow hole?
Lynn
Old 07-12-2016, 07:07 AM   #7

When I had a toilet with the overflow, I periodically filled the bowl till water ran into and replenished the trap. I wanted to replace that trap, but parts were no longer available.

My current toilet is the type that will spill over if the inlet valve is less than perfect, so I turn off the water whenever I am away.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
If there is a trap in the tube wouldn't it have to be winterized along with the rest of the system?
Lynn
LETMGROW
My Sealand 510 toilet has 2 overflow holes near the top of the bowl.
If/when that toilet is dissembled you can see the design of the trap and why that trap does not have to be winterized.

BTW those overflow holes do not prevent an overflow if the flush valve happens to stick open.

Last Feb mine stuck for the 1st, and only, time in 20 years.
The fresh water that flowed over the top of the bowl onto the floor in less than 15 minutes caused $1,260 worth of floor damage, (of which my insurance company paid $1,010).

Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post

BTW those overflow holes do not prevent an overflow if the flush valve happens to stick open.
I would think that it would handle a trickle till the black tank eventually overflows. I'm sure that a significant flow would spill over.

The newer toilets, without an overflow, can be a serious problem if even a small grain of sand lodges in the fill valve.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
I would think that it would handle a trickle till the black tank eventually overflows. I'm sure that a significant flow would spill over.
The newer toilets, without an overflow, can be a serious problem if even a small grain of sand lodges in the fill valve.
lynnmor
I thought the same thing.
(Unfortunately I thought wrong).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #11

Some Dometic toilets have that design, talking to the factory they have changed the design, the new seal design eliminates the bypass problem. the hole in the middle seal for the overflow vent is no longer there, this is the seal in the middle of the toilet, replaced seal problem went away.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Lynn
If you look at the hole when you flush toilet.
The water also goes into that hole .
So if you winterize with rv antifreeze and flush toilet
It will go into trap .
Old 07-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad95 View Post
If you look at the hole when you flush toilet.
The water also goes into that hole .
So if you winterize with rv antifreeze and flush toilet
It will go into trap .
I use anti freeze and I did notice water runs down into the vent when the lever is pulled. I am wondering about those who blow their lines out with air and don't use anti freeze. Where does the water caught in the trap go? If it drained completely out you have that opening from the toilet base up to the opening.
My toilet is a Thetford with the lever you pull not a foot pedal.
Lynn
Old 07-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #14

I don't know what brand mine is . It has a flush
And rinse handle on top right hand side . Just found
Out there were two levers this weekend . One inside the other . only had TT for couple of months.
I did take a q-tip and clean it out. Very dirty . I was thinking of blowing it out with some low pressure
Air from my compressor. Could be clogged .
I did put in some tank cleaner this weekend.
If it continues to smell I mite pull toilet and replace
Or pressure wash the hole thing. It does hold water
In bowl . So seal is ok.

Tags
smell, toilet