Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #1

Is your RV your life boat/escape pod?

Do you think of your RV as a life boat?

This thread was catalyzed by a few things. There have been discussions here and on other forums about storing or traveling with full or partly empty water tanks, mohos used as housing when there were problems at home, etc.

Here in California, the liability for some of last summer's fires has cause Pacific Gas and Electric to declare bankruptcy. Now, if the weather conditions warrant, the electric utilities will shut off the power, with notice, for up to 48 hours, or longer if necessary, to try to keep the fires from starting.

(This isn't referendum on how messed up an area will be without power for 2 days: no refrigeration, no gas pumps, no ATMs, few or no stores ope, no traffic signals...)

Living in earthquake/wildfire country, we have always tried to keep the things in the Sunstar that need to be filled (water/gas/propane) full. and the things that need to be empty (holding tanks) emptied. Clean linens and towels, some staples in the pantry, and at least a case of MREs, and a lot of cash. We are lucky to have set up an RV pad when we built this house, with 2 electrical connections, one 30 amp outlet for the moho, one house 30 amp cable to run the house off the moho generator, with an appropriate transfer switch.

Just last March, we needed that when our electricity was out for 15 hours during a storm.

We got bug out practice in April when we got the call about my MIL's imminent passing, going from OK, let's get packing, to out the gate in under 3 hours. I think we can shorten that, as there were a lot of emotions running high right then.

My cousin and his wife, and a neighbor family bugged out from near Houston in their travel trailer right before Hurricane Harvey.

Yesterday, we received the Public Power Shutoff planning brochure from PG&E in the mail with the details of what they will do if it's necessary.

So, I'm revisiting all of my plans. I think I'll add a week or two's worth of Mountain House food under the booth seat with the MREs.

Yeah, I know that if there is an earthquake or evacuation the roads will be a mess. But, at least we'll be able to shelter in place, wherever the place happens to be.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #2

Good idea.. Being pro active is better than the sheeple approach.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
Do you think of your RV as a life boat?
Not really, but I'm a full timer. It's more like my RV is my ship, and the tow vehicle is the life boat in case something happens to the ship.

Back when I still had my S&B, I did kinda think of it like that. When hurricanes would be forecast to hit my area, I would head inland with the RV. That was a pretty rare event though because I normally traveled for work during the worst of hurricane season.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #4

What's that boy scout motto? Some people consider and prepare, and cruise over most of life's inevitable speed bumps.

Others seem oblivious and are always surprised when circumstances bite them in the rear.

Our stick house is provisioned and capable, the MH is kept ready, and the vehicles I drive have tools and supplies onboard.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:30 PM   #5

We full-time also. I think of our coach as "home".
Old 06-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #6

Lived in SO Ca for 30 yrs
RV was always 'ready' except for perishables

Now here at our S&B in AZ the RV is 'ready' for Emergency, Guests and my Man Cave....great place to go when working in yard, need break....cold beer, A/C and TV
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Living in Colorado, we're prone to fires as well. Our S&B is in the mountains, and our Motorcoach is parked in a storage lot near Denver. We've had enough close calls to know it's always good to be prepared.
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:29 PM   #8

Our RV is fully stocked and ready except for perishables. When the zombie apocalypse or alien invasion comes we are ready to go! Or just to get away for a few days...
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #9

Yes, down here in South Texas hurricane country, rv is filled up and should be able to run generator 200+hours in a power outage. Also keep fw tank full and MRE's under the couch.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #10

If I lived in hurricane or wild fire country it would for sure be our escape pod.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:23 PM   #11

We are fortunate enough to have the coach hooked up to power and parked at the house - so with that it's pretty much always ready for a quick exit if needed.
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:35 PM   #12

Yes.

Just went through a 24-hour power outage after some storms rolled through yesterday. We were just getting ready to load up the coach and bail out when the power came back on. We can dry camp for 4-5 days with no problem if needed, and I keep 80 gallons of water in the tank at all times just in case.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmso54 View Post
We are fortunate enough to have the coach hooked up to power and parked at the house - so with that it's pretty much always ready for a quick exit if needed.
X2, except with ferry travel required to exit the area , we're in a bit of a bind , but S&B has a fire hydrant in front yard ; so wild fire shouldn't be too big a risk . Earthquake; well there's that , one power pole might be an issue.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:53 AM   #14

Yes, our 5'er is definitely our "lifeboat". We are in a rural area of San Diego, and subject to power shutdown if it gets a little too windy for SDG&E's liking.
We were evacuated during the fire a couple years ago, before we had the RV. Having the RV would have made that experience so much better.
Next project is a propane generator so that we don't have to throw out a freezer full of food.