Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #15

I'm still trying to figure out how the OP got on the Grand Parkway driving from Austin to Marfa.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've been told the pass to get is the one in Oklahoma, both Kansas and Texas honor that one.
idoxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #17

Never had one when we were in TX, but Did hit one in IN. Going south from Indianapolis to Louisville, some where around just before we got to Louisville, we passed one. When we got home in mid March, son in law had some mail in his truck for 2-3 weeks. By this time was now April, and the bill for a $0.10 toll road turned into $12. We still can't figure out just where that toll road booth or marking or whatever it was was at.

In looking back, the low cost of the toll road vs the "fine" for not paying it is totally ridiculous, and you all are right, they, the different states, do need to get their act together by standardizing, and giving the people just passing through a chance to pay without the ripoff type of "fines" for not paying because they don't know about where and when to pay their "tolls."

Shoot, even just thinking about that toll in IN, where it was at, couldn't tell you, I was watching where I was going in the traffic, and DW was looking at either phone or PA book or Good Sam book. Thinking about that, she was almost the whole trip!
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandSA View Post
Never had one when we were in TX, but Did hit one in IN. Going south from Indianapolis to Louisville, some where around just before we got to Louisville, we passed one. When we got home in mid March, son in law had some mail in his truck for 2-3 weeks. By this time was now April, and the bill for a $0.10 toll road turned into $12. We still can't figure out just where that toll road booth or marking or whatever it was was at.

In looking back, the low cost of the toll road vs the "fine" for not paying it is totally ridiculous, and you all are right, they, the different states, do need to get their act together by standardizing, and giving the people just passing through a chance to pay without the ripoff type of "fines" for not paying because they don't know about where and when to pay their "tolls."

Shoot, even just thinking about that toll in IN, where it was at, couldn't tell you, I was watching where I was going in the traffic, and DW was looking at either phone or PA book or Good Sam book. Thinking about that, she was almost the whole trip!
Bridge over the Ohio perhaps on I-65. It just became a toll recently and all I can think of.

Tom
Old 05-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok so here is a question. It is now over 4 months and no bill from Texas. If and when I get the bill (I assume it will have a stupid fee for paying it late somewhat like the IRS) what happens if I don't pay it???? My vehicle is registered in Florida.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We blew through a toll spot in Texas last November when we went to Fort Worth. Forgot to bring any quarters with us and had no change, it was one of those unattended toll roads near Ada I think?

Anyway last month I get a bill in the mail from Texas DOT, I think they charged me like $6.00. I was really surprised they was able to get the plate number off my Dually with the big trailer we had on the back, with no tag..

So don't be surprised if you don't get a bill before long.
idoxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Ok so here is a question. It is now over 4 months and no bill from Texas. If and when I get the bill (I assume it will have a stupid fee for paying it late somewhat like the IRS) what happens if I don't pay it???? My vehicle is registered in Florida.

momdoc
Probably nothing unless you go back through Texas and get stopped by a state trooper for some other violation. He would probably see it pop up when he ran your license. Texas is banking on the idea that no one will challenge them in court. If they are all truly supposed to be standard by 2016 and aren't I'm guessing you could challenge the ticket but they figure no one will take the time and hassle.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #22

Exclamation

Quote:
... If and when I get the billwhat happens if I don't pay it???? My vehicle is registered in Florida...
my understanding is that IF you receive a bill from a toll road in another state, then YOUR state has a reciprocal agreement with them, generally neighboring states. if you do not pay the bill, your local TAG renewal may have the bill, plus additional fees, attached to it when you renewal your vehicle, and must be paid to renew your tag. They then forward that money to the state who issued the toll.

my understanding is also that if your do NOT receive a bill from a toll road in another state, then you have not been billed, and owe nothing. States that decide that they do not have the means to bill out-of-state vehicles realize that it might cost more to manage that versus just letting it go - your registered State may not be close enough to theirs to make it worthwhile.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenman View Post
Bridge over the Ohio perhaps on I-65. It just became a toll recently and all I can think of.

Tom
That's right Tom. Got to pay for that new bridge over the Ohio. RiverLink out of Texas will bill you unless you have a transponder.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenman View Post

Tom
Only the I-64 bridge at Louisville is free. The other 2 are toll, several different rates to cross, w/transponder $2, with registered plate $6, unregistered plate $7, of course the rate is based on the number of axles.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
^yep...this!

I set up my GPS to avoid tolls on both my MH, truck and motorcycle.....I consider them a complete rip off.
X=2
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #26

In Texas our elected officials love to tell everyone how they are against any new taxes or tax increases. They get around this by increasing fees, which to me are just taxes by another name.

Most, if not all of the toll roads in Texas are operated by commercial ventures with long term leases. They build an maintain these roads and reap the benefits. The state does administer the collections and are compensated for this by the toll road operators. Various regional organizations administer the toll roads and let the contracts, etc so the rules can vary regarding late fees and collection practices.

Not paying toll fees is not a criminal ofense. It is a civil matter, or at least it has been up until now. The LEO's will not arrest you for past due toll road fees. Some counties may refuse to renew your registration if you have significant violations. I think it is someting like in excess of 100 unpaid tolls in my county. And yes there are reports of folks that have many hundreds of unpaid toll trips to their credit.

Manned toll both are a thing of the past on the new toll roads and most of the older toll roads are being converted to unmanned operations. And then we have red light cameras in various cities, but that is another story.

Im not sure if past due tolls can effect your credit history but I can almost guarantee that some politician is working to make that happen. The toll road operators have a very strong lobby.

I would avoid any and all unmanned toll roads if worrying about a late fee keeps you awake at night.
Stevie3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:55 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

momdoc

I would make sure your license has the right mailing address tied to it. Could be that the notices are going somewhere else. You could also try calling TxTag and see if they have any outstanding balances for your plate. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how the OP got on the Grand Parkway driving from Austin to Marfa.

Oops wrong leg! Maybe it was NOLA to Austin?
Swan-Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
We finished our Florida winter trip about a month ago. We traveled several stretches of toll road - each touting a "pay by plate" billing system. So far, I've received a single bill for about $3.75 out of the whole thing. I know that I've got to owe them more than that ... the bill I received seems to have been for a single "collection point". I'll pay 'em if/when I get the bill.