Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #29

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan-Bull View Post
Recently drove through Texas on the Grand Parkway going from Austin to Marfa. Noticed that every toll said "cashless" and I recall that they also said something about being billed by mail. Didn't think anything of it. Now, driving through other areas that have cashless tolls like the Northeast and Florida, this has never been a problem. They simply track your plate and send you a bill. Well, it turns out that the ONLY way to pay tolls on this TX highway is by pre-paid tag. This really screws over non-locals who have to either stop and try to find a place to buy one for $15 or pay $5 violation fee per each toll. We raked up $40 in toll violations plus $20 in tolls for a 2-hr trip across west Texas. This is getting ridiculous. We have an EZ pass that works up and down the east coast. I understand that all the systems cant easily or cheaply integrate, but you shouldn't punish people like us who are just passing through like this. This is a straight up money grab and it really ticks me off. Have folks run into this in other states?

Look at this brazen description on the txtag website. Really fires me up.

https://www.txtag.org/en/about/tollr...pky_sh99.shtml
What happens if I don't have a tag to pay tolls?
The only way to pay tolls on the Grand Parkway is with a TxTag, EZ TAG, TollTag, or METRO HOT Lanes Toll Tag. If you do not have a prepaid tag - or do not have enough money in your toll account to cover the cost of your tolls - you will receive a Notice of Toll Violation with a $5.00 fee for each toll charge. Drivers who fail to pay violation notices on time are subject to collection fees and court fines that can add up to $350 per violation.

Sounds like just another reason to never visit the Republic of Texas.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #30

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Ok so here is a question. It is now over 4 months and no bill from Texas. If and when I get the bill (I assume it will have a stupid fee for paying it late somewhat like the IRS) what happens if I don't pay it???? My vehicle is registered in Florida.

momdoc
Many years ago I got stopped at speed trap in NY. (tickets were already filled out except for my name and address?) They wanted a money order and returned my personal check (guess they didn't want a paper trail on their scam) Eventually I got a notice that my driver license was suspended in Ohio where I live. OH DMV said they can't do anything about the scam all they know id NY reported me.

Many toll roads are being privatized (some then go bankrupt so tax payers get stuck twice) cuz some believe that Government is always worse than private companies. The various private tolls are a good example of what is wrong with going private.
How can you be guilty of a late fee when the company never notified you in the first place?
Old 05-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
I guess I will just wait it out and if and when a get a bill with late charges I will probably be pig headed enough to fight it.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Sounds like just another reason to never visit the Republic of Texas.
Live in Texas so i'm a bit partial. I do agree that this is a racket but i don't believe it only happens in Texas. For me, it's an easy fix,, i avoid toll roads unless they somehow benefit my travel.

To momdoc, i was in Florida when i had a toll station mix up. This was a self pay booth where change was still taken. I threw in the correct amount but the light stayed red. We gathered up another few quarters, threw them in the basket, and still had no luck getting the light to change. Gave up and drove on through. I saw the camera staring us in the face so figured it recorded our tag number. I know this isn't the same scenario as yours but to keep the suspense down, i looked up the toll company and called them. Figured for sure they would give me some nonsense but to my surprise, was told by the person on the other end to forget about it.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoxlr8 View Post
I've been told the pass to get is the one in Oklahoma, both Kansas and Texas honor that one.
Oklahoma pike pass does work in Kansas and in Texas, but only on the toll roads around Dallas. I went on the toll road near Tyler TX and one in Austin and when I got back I called them, two different operators, and asked how much I owed. They said nothing as they didn't worry about out of state cars as they have no way to bill it or attach the payment to a plate. Seems strange to me.

They need all to link all the systems as required, but then it would make it easier to justify more toll roads.
SWO Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Being from Oregon we don't have toll roads. Last year we knew we would be traveling in the Houston area so called ahead. Was told that there was no charge for out of state vehicles on the Texas toll roads. Asked twice to verify that was correct.

That may have been true for one Texas toll road, but not for the others. Received a bill for a toll in mail at home. However we were not at home to receive the mail. By that time we were in Pennsylvania. Luckily person collecting mail informed us of the bill or there would have been more late charges.

Cashless tolls are a rip-off for out of state travelers.

Another pet peeve - cross a New York toll bridge with a motorhome towing a toad and you will pay more than if you disconnect and drive separately across the bridge and then reconnect. Pay by the axle just like a semi truck. No logic and no way to make the case. Just pay and complain about the rip off. Crossing the Mackinac Bridge they were fair about the toll.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Yep we got caught in that NY trap on the bridges as well. In fact in Hudson we did actually unhook at the van winkle bridge just to test it out and yes the toll was cheaper unhooked, but probably not worth the aggravation of unhooking and rehooking up.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote