Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2021, 08:47 AM   #1

It is just not much fun to travel this year....

I posted much of this comment in another forum that then turned political. This comment is not at all political but just is our observation of how RVing has changed this year compared to the previous years we've done the same thing.... I am reposting my comments as a new thread just to see if our observations are unique or common.... I've also added a few thoughts beyond the original post.

I've been on the road for 2.5 months now. Due to our health issues, I pay much more attention to the location of hospitals, doc-in-a-box locations (even veterinarians for our four leggers) than I ever used to. Been amazed at the states where no one wears masks, seemingly, and states where almost everyone wears a mask all the time (New Mexico has been the biggest, most obvious winner on masking %). Dee and I both have serious primary medical problems so we both actually are fully vaccinated and have boosters in addition.

Frankly, touring on the road this past 2.5 months has been a pain in the butt in many ways. Diesel is priced sky high everywhere. Back to the bad old days of $300-$400 fuel fills. Many restaurants still have no indoor seating. Some steak places only have take-out food (eat your steak dinner in your car or a half hour later in your coach or RV?????? Virtually every place doesn't have sufficient workers to seat people at all of their tables or cooks in the kitchen to prepare food quickly. Long waits to be seated with 18 empty tables all over the place in the restaurant. Prices at very average RV parks that used to be $35 a night are now $50-$65 a night, much more expensive than just a few years ago. This is really noticeable all over the mid-west and west. Lunch at places that used to have sub-ten buck lunches are all now $15+ per person everywhere. $30-$40 lunches are common for two people even at burger joints. Lines, lines, lines, everywhere for everything. National parks that you can't get into. RMNP puts up 1,200 passes to get into the park the next day at 5:00 daily and they are all taken (gone) within 2 minutes.... within 120 seconds, those 1200 park passes are gone....... "Sorry, you are not allowed even to enter the park" !?! Restaurants that say they are open until 10 which actually close at 8:30 without apology, long lines of 12 to 16 cars at drive-through restaurants even as late as 9 or 10 at night, every night! Rest Rooms closed at restaurants you are eating at (i your car) with 15 cars in line to eat because they don't have a person to clean the rest rooms.... I could go on and on and on and on and on .....

The world is a different place. We just have not had as much fun on the road this whole trip than has always been the case in prior years. We've spent a lot more money to have a lot less good time!! Maybe its us, but it just seems like the whole country is VERY different and just is not as fun to travel in as it used to be . Its Not a good "different"!! JOHO

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2021, 09:09 AM   #2

Gary,

I believe you are correct - things are different now, much different. Hopefully once everybody gets their confidence back things will return to normal and we can tour about as we did once before. For now, I would much rather say at home, work on the coach and wait it out.

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 09:20 AM   #3

Have you considered modifying your routine in an effort to restore the enjoyment you once experienced?

Try visiting state or regional parks, for instance. We’ve made trips in June, July and September and had very pleasant experiences visiting parks, museums, etc.

Why not enjoy breakfast and dinner in the coach? It must be pretty nice in there. Many grocery stores have prepared foods that can be consumed on site or taken out. That’s an easy solution for lunch.

I always find it interesting when owners of expensive new coaches start complaining about food, fuel and RV park prices. If you can afford it, stop complaining about it. You’re making yourself miserable for no reason.

If all else fails, sell the coach and finds something more enjoyable to do.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #4

I travel for work (not in the RV) and can echo much of what you have observed, especially about the mask wearing. It isn't - and shouldn't - be a political thing.... Yet it tracks very strongly with predominant political views of a given area.

As for the staffing at restaurants, there has been a tectonic shift in employment power. People were putting up with the hours and the conditions and the abuse from both customers and management only because of desperation. The exhaustion they felt largely prevented enough mental stamina to add up exactly how many ways they were being abused, and the pandemic closures gave people a chance to actually rest up and heal and discover how they could feel when NOT being subjected to the conditions from their employer.... Is it any shock that people are not willing to return to being abused?

The entire film and TV labor pool (my industry) has been under similar abuses for decades, and just voted to authorize the first general strike in the union's 128 year history. It is time for management to stop abusing the workforce. Yes there will be growing pains with this adjustment, but if it leads to better and safer working conditions for all, and workers who are not critically exhausted all the time.... Then that is a good thing.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:43 AM   #5

Rv traveling now takes more planning for sure. I eat my own food most of the time. It requires a trip to grocery now and then to restock but less time then trying to eat out. Was gone a month and noticed the higher prices but not much different then around my own home so not surprised. Some better dining places in the Black Hills area were only open between certain hours and limited menus with limited sides. In another word, lack of choices. Put a slow cooker to work for you. Biggest pain was crowded roads and lots of construction everywhere. The roads are in terrible shape and beat you to death. Overnights to and from destinations were very crowded and started making a reservation by 2 in the afternoon. Parks rents are a bit higher but not too bad. I just plan my trips more in advance. I will take a deposit hit if I dont make the trip for some reason. Traveling by car is no better and I hate hotels. Just for me, this is still a better option for now. Gas may change everything!
frank1018 is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #6

Being retired helps us with the logistics. We enjoy the blue highways or secondary roads normally, and these are in much better shape than the freeways.
As we're not in a hurry, we can be flexible for eating and recreation. No good restaurants around? Chez Trekkar is always open!
We prefer the state parks or other parks with fewer amenities, and these don't seem to be as overcrowded, even this year.
I'm just happy parks are open for what enjoyment they provide.
Trekkar is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 11:13 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
After a year hunkered down our first 'shake-down' trip was to places in GA & AL that we have wanted to visit but haven't: Providence Canyon (GA's little Grand Canyon) and some of the justice museums in Montgomery AL. We were there in the middle of the week so we avoided the weekend rush. We also found great differences in the number of folks wearing face masks, realize that in the late spring of 2021, both GA and AL had some of the lowest vaccination rates and highest infection rates in the nation.

We are both in our late 70s and had completed our vaccinations well before our trips, but one of the ways that you get to be chronologically gifted is by not making bad choices, so...

This summer we resumed our trip to VT with visits to our old friends (and younger ones too). The country hasn't bounced back to pre-2020 business. We need to understand that the U.S. economy and people have had a reset or reboot. Many of the programs, activities that were ongoing in 2019 have been reviewed in the face of a pandemic that has claimed well over 1/2 million lives, starting with the elderly and fragile and now the young and venerable. When faced with their mortality, many have asked themselves the most difficult questions: why am I doing what I'm doing and what should I be doing differently.
Add to that the missing links in the economy and work force and you see the situation where half the work force (the female AKA caregiver) cannot return to work because of having to care for the old and young in the family, even those who have survived a bout with COVID and now have long term medical issues.

It is going to take a long time for this meal to get through the python.

We learned that long term planning and then actual contact just before the event, minimizes the disappointments (when that place that was a favorite and always open is closed when you get there). Along with everything else, an extra supply of patience is needed.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #8

It was very different this year taking an extended RV trip to Maine. Every bit as enjoyable as trips in prior years, but different. We found that if we wanted an enjoyable dining experience, we preferred to cook outside our RV. Restaurants all had inflated menu prices, short-handed waiters and cooks, and very slow service. Other business exhibited the same symptoms. So enjoying your RV trips today does require adapting to the current situation, but in the end it’s every bit as enjoyable. Staying in hotels is worse. Last time we stayed in one, about six months ago, there was no room service, no valet, and no room cleaning service, but the price was the same or higher.

Hard to feel sympathy for businesses plagued by workforce shortages. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that employees that don’t return weren’t making enough money before they left. I’ve owned a business, but never believed my employees worked at my business just because they liked to work for me. Businesses who still believe an employee can pay rent, bills and maybe feed a family on $7.50/hr deserve to fail. It’s just business Darwinism. Many businesses are thriving, and their employees are loyal because they are being paid a living wage. There are just as many workers today as there were before the pandemic started. They’ve just used their periods of unemployment and government support to migrate to better paying jobs.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #9

To each as always their own, but I wonder why you feel this way? We were brought up that "happiness is a state of mind", "Life is what you make it", and "attitude is latitude". Yep we have odd frustrating or down days and bad things happening to good people, but we always pick ourselves up, shake ourselves off and say loud and clear "NEXT". Yes, sadly through losses and long haulers badly affected close to us during this pandemic ,we've shed many tears but again, you just have to keep moving forwards or switch it up to make some sense about life again.

As far as restaurants go we've not enjoyed eating out much in them for the very longest time (many years), except for an odd treat somewhere very special or deserving of our patronage. We noticed things slipping on food and general service quality a long long time ago. We've always been homebody cooks and bakers so do that in the RV even on many extended trips of several weeks/months. Do we ever eat out? YES for sure, but typically a locally known taste/dish or a very odd recommended buffet maybe once or sometimes twice a month during travels. The past year and half plus though, we've not been inclined in the slightest, trying to avoid unnecessary exposures where possible.

As for fuel prices going up, yes that's frustrating but at the end of the day if you enjoy RVing as long as we have, we've seen a lot worse in bygone years. If it's affecting our budget somewhat we slow down or steal from another area of the budget.

At the end of the day Gary, the way things are going right now, it's going to be with us for some time to come. I guess we can either curl up and mope and moan about it, or paint on a smile and find other ways around it. I personally do feel that over the past several decades as a population compared to our forefathers we've been hyper spoilt. We have become very much a "me/I" and "now" society for the most part. Yet isn't it funny how when we saved for things many years ago, we appreciated them more than in recent years where you buy on the never-never payment plan as many do? How we never used to eat out hardly ever if at all at restaurants (maybe an ice cream treat or a take away once in a blue moon), and really enjoy, savour and appreciated it more back then.

So let's all make lemonade out of lemons, turn that frown upside down, paint on a smile and be thankful every day we step outside and breathe in that fresh air. Not sure I'll be saying that come mid January/February/March but ......... you get the idea.

Happy Travels ya'll, there's still so much good out there.

SD.
SomeDay is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #10

Gary,
I am glad to see both of you are able to travel with serious conditions. We found the same issue with RMNP. We made advance reservations and then went back into the park after peak hours. This did not require a reservation. Travel is in a constant state of flux. We are now traveling to an area without any pre conceived idea. Headed to Gattlinburg shortly and outside of the campground made no plans. Fuel is also high on the east coast . Destination trips we are planing far ahead, already booked Wyoming for next September. We are just being as flexible as possible and think that is the new normal.
Dieselgem is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Gary --

My experiences the last several months have been much different than yours. The wife and I are still being blessed with full time careers which limits our motorhome excursions to long weekends in Texas and Louisiana every 6-8 weeks. In April we had a wonderful long weekend in the Texas Hill Country for the Wine and Wildflowers Trail among the many Hill Country wineries with a great stay at Buckhorn Lake RV Resort in Kerrville.

In early June we enjoyed an long weekend in and near San Antonio with a great stay at the Alsatian RV Resort in Castroville.

In late July we took four grandkids to the Jamaica Beach RV Resort west of Galveston for a fun beach outing (while parents enjoyed a weekend to themselves). Given the large increase in number of RVs during the pandemic, we made reservations for Buckhorn Lake and Alsatian RV Resorts about six weeks in advance. The July reservation for the Jamaica Beach RV Resort was made in late February as summer weekends always are reserved very early.

For the Hill Country and San Antonio outings we had nice dinners at a few restaurants that allowed reservations through Open Table. We had great meals and great service at each restaurant. Breakfasts were always at our coach with lunch being a quick snack we had in the cooler or a fast food sandwich.

As an LSU Football season ticket owner, we've had mostly enjoyable "boondocking" weekends the last six weeks at our favorite on-campus RV lot (mostly enjoyable because LSU lost to Auburn this past weekend!).

For me, RV outings have been "normal" and very enjoyable due to Texas and Louisiana being less restrictive and with upfront planning on my part. I'm saddened to learn from you that RV'ing in other states isn't as enjoyable.

Out of curiosity where do you live in Louisiana?
fagnaml is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Gary --My experiences the last several months have been much different than yours. The wife and I are still being blessed with full time careers which limits our motorhome excursions to long weekends in Texas and Louisiana every 6-8 weeks. In April we had a wonderful long weekend in the Texas Hill Country for the Wine and Wildflowers Trail among the many Hill Country wineries with a great stay at Buckhorn Lake RV Resort in Kerrville. In early June we enjoyed an long weekend in and near San Antonio with a great stay at the Alsatian RV Resort in Castroville. In late July we took four grandkids to the Jamaica Beach RV Resort west of Galveston for a fun beach outing (while parents enjoyed a weekend to themselves). Given the large increase in number of RVs during the pandemic, we made reservations for Buckhorn Lake and Alsatian RV Resorts about six weeks in advance. The July reservation for the Jamaica Beach RV Resort was made in late February as summer weekends always are reserved very early. For the Hill Country and San Antonio outings we had nice dinners at a few restaurants that allowed reservations through Open Table. We had great meals and great service at each restaurant. Breakfasts were always at our coach with lunch being a quick snack we had in the cooler or a fast food sandwich. As an LSU Football season ticket owner, we've had mostly enjoyable "boondocking" weekends the last six weeks at our favorite on-campus RV lot (mostly enjoyable because LSU lost to Auburn this past weekend!). For me, RV outings have been "normal" and very enjoyable due to Texas and Louisiana being less restrictive and with upfront planning on my part. I'm saddened to learn from you that RV'ing in other states isn't as enjoyable. Out of curiosity where do you live in Louisiana?
You are right pal. The glass is half empty or it is half full. I would guess the OP has a half empty glass.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 02:48 PM   #13

The worldwide pandemic has widespread impacts that we are all still dealing with. Of course it is frustrating not being able to do everything we enjoyed before. Millions of others in the same boat or in worse shape. I'm happy/grateful for what I am able to do.

The one thing we can all agree on is the sooner we get past this pandemic the better.

Hang in there.
Ldubs is offline   Reply
Old 10-05-2021, 02:58 PM   #14

I agree, people are mostly very mean, unhappy and don’t care about anything or anyone.
We stick to ourselves on the road now. I used to have fun talking to Rv neighbors but mostly they are just aren’t the RV people we knew the past 22 yrs of RVing.
Most of the young ones are mean, unfriendly and rude.
Oh well, we'll just stick to ourselves.
BTW, it’s even worse in the National Parks, people are just not nice.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
travel