Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to the " Retired RVer" club . Hope / Princeton would be a real shake down run . I do wish Midtown, had a rig that I liked when I was shopping. Is, Randy R. back working or did his health issues force early retirement?
I'll be very interested to find out from you , which border crossing into the USA you prefer to use with your rig. Pacific Crossing is OK northbound, but the security posts in the southbound lanes make maneuvering a pain. I've attempted to get info on using the truck lanes there , but can't get a firm answer.
I did not deal with Randy myself but I did notice his name on the SOLD sticker in the window of the new RV parked beside me. They too were spending a few days there becoming familiar with their new rig, a 2014 Essex.

I have not used the border crossings yet in the motorhome but I do use them often on my motorcycle. I hadn't thought of the lanes much until you mentioned it but I would thing that Pacific could be challenging either way in a large coach like ours. Both north and south bound have narrow lanes and tight turns. I am thinking the Peace Arch would be much easier to negotiate. Going south into the states, if go in the right hand lane you can choose the westerly customs booth and have a pretty straight lane. You may have to do a good turn once through the border but you'll be out of the congested lane then. Coming back north into Canada, it pretty straight all the way through.
Ron_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post

Glad to have you here with us. Good luck with your retirement. Welcome to the Newmar family. Post pics when you get a chance we love seeing them!!
Well, here is my first attempt at posting pics on this forum. Let me know if you have any trouble seeing them.

We are thinking about replacing the long sofa on the driver's side with a couple of recliners and a small table between and moving the other sofa out a few inches to make room for a think cabinet and slide-up TV against the wall. We'll see how the first while goes in the coach before making any irrevocable changes.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworker414 View Post
Ron H, congrats to you and your wife on your retirements. Its a great gig, for sure.
Route 66, I grew along 66 in St. Louis, well not directly on the route, but I did walk over to watch the big trucks go by, wondering where ther wer headed, and looking at the license plates on cars to see where ther were from when they stopped at the stoplight. That was many years ago.
When coming through St. Louis, make a stop at Ted Drewes on old route 66, in St.Louis, its been there forever. A custard stand You can go there in the summer and the place is packed, all orders are placed outside at the window, no inside service You can hear so many foreign people talking, who are traveling 66. Tour the brewery, Grants Farm, The Arch. Like any large city so much to see.
I plan to travel the length of 66 someday soon. Have to wait for my sister to retire, with luck, in a little over 2 years. She is the driver, my vision does not allow me to drive anymore.
Enjoy your trip along 66, lots of stuff to see, lots of books on the subject available. If you have time, Route 66 State Park out Hwy I-44 can be a good time.
O jave beem pm almost of 66 in IL, traveling to see my son and his family about an hour and half northwest of Chicago.
I live sout of St.Louis out I-55 about 35 miles.
One more stop, Gus's Pretzels a block from the A/B brewery. Great pretzels an institution in St. Louis, like Ted Drewes.
Safe Travels
Bill
Custard, pretzels, beer?...I'm starting to see a pattern here Bill....
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworker414 View Post
Ron H, congrats to you and your wife on your retirements. Its a great gig, for sure.
Route 66, I grew along 66 in St. Louis, well not directly on the route, but I did walk over to watch the big trucks go by, wondering where ther wer headed, and looking at the license plates on cars to see where ther were from when they stopped at the stoplight. That was many years ago.
When coming through St. Louis, make a stop at Ted Drewes on old route 66, in St.Louis, its been there forever. A custard stand You can go there in the summer and the place is packed, all orders are placed outside at the window, no inside service You can hear so many foreign people talking, who are traveling 66. Tour the brewery, Grants Farm, The Arch. Like any large city so much to see.
I plan to travel the length of 66 someday soon. Have to wait for my sister to retire, with luck, in a little over 2 years. She is the driver, my vision does not allow me to drive anymore.
Enjoy your trip along 66, lots of stuff to see, lots of books on the subject available. If you have time, Route 66 State Park out Hwy I-44 can be a good time.
O jave beem pm almost of 66 in IL, traveling to see my son and his family about an hour and half northwest of Chicago.
I live sout of St.Louis out I-55 about 35 miles.
One more stop, Gus's Pretzels a block from the A/B brewery. Great pretzels an institution in St. Louis, like Ted Drewes.
Safe Travels
Bill
Thanks for the suggestions - I'm especially looking forward to Ted Drewes.

My DW and I had planned to do a retirement trip along Route 66 on our motorcycle but she is finding getting on and off more difficult and I too am finding the long hours on two-wheels more taxing so we'll be doing 66 on 12 wheels (coach and toad) no instead.

We've gathered a good collection of books, maps and other info on R-66 so we hope to catch at least all the better known places.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #19

Ron, thanks for the reply , I hadn't considered Peace Arch, thought there were length restrictions there . Wont be a problem this year as I'll be spending 2 weeks in Kelowna before my Snowbird run, so I'll cross on Highway 97, and I don't mind The truck route north.
JMHO: Route 66, in Arizona , don't try taking the coach through Oatman.
Sections of that road you'll be able to see the rear licence plate on your toad. Great road for a motorcycle.
Great looking rig. Enjoy.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Ron, thanks for the reply , I hadn't considered Peace Arch, thought there were length restrictions there . Wont be a problem this year as I'll be spending 2 weeks in Kelowna before my Snowbird run, so I'll cross on Highway 97, and I don't mind The truck route north.
JMHO: Route 66, in Arizona , don't try taking the coach through Oatman.
Sections of that road you'll be able to see the rear licence plate on your toad. Great road for a motorcycle.
Great looking rig. Enjoy.
Your post brought up a very valid issue and a Google search this morning didn't really provide any solid information. I'm thinking I may hop on my motorcycle one day soon and visit the three nearby crossings (Peace-Arch, Pacific & Aldergrove) and do a visual as well as talk to the border folks to get their feedback. I'll post the results in a separate message threat.

Thanks for the warning on Oatman. That will likely be a section we'll do in the toad and then drive the coach around on a different route.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am wanting to do the same thing but my health shut me down after 40 years of working. My wife being 10 years younger doesn't help either. I am ready to get a toad and go somewhere and when she wants to go back to work I'll just stay and she can come back the next weekend. I'll let you know how that works out. Good luck. We made a promise we would not go over a month without going somewhere though. My MH is my therapy because there always seems something better to install.
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ron! Congrats on the new rig and your retirement!

We sold our business and retired in 2010, then bought the MH in 2012. It's a great feeling to wake up every morning and ask yourself "well, what do I want to do today?"

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

P.S.- keep her between the ditches!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
The retirement part was predictable and simply took about 45 years of hard work.
As you stated - you earned your retirement and will/already (no doubt) enjoy it. Congrats and welcome to the phase of life I define as 'freedom'.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote